Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 EX, Nighthawk Black Pearl, MT, 175k mi
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....

This is a randomly occuring issue and I'll explain the best as I can. I'll also preface this post with I have been driving manual shifts for 16 years now. Hondas, Audis, and Toyotas.. I've seen a few different types of manuals. ;)

Now, onto the issue:

On random occasions, while shifting from 1st to 2nd, clutch pedal fully depressed to the floor, I'll get a grind. What gives?

After it grinds, I'll try methodically and slowly, step through the shifting process from 1st to 2nd. Slowly shift into 2nd... sometimes it's a clean shift (rather notchy, however), and sometimes a grind.

It's baffling me as to what is going on. Any ideas on how I can trouble shoot this?

This is the only shifting sequence where this happens. 1st to 2nd. My RPM's where I shift are about 3k-4k range.

Thanks for any ideas/help...

-S

·
Registered
480 Posts
Possibly the synchronizers between first and second.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There have been conversations about this before, and the consensus, with which I wholeheartedly agree, is that the syncros on 2nd are, um, ****. In my E, if I try to do a "spirited" shift from 1 to 2, I'll grind it every time. Basically on that shift, treat the shifter like it's made of glass.

·
Registered
2008 EX, Nighthawk Black Pearl, MT, 175k mi
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses... I agree with the above setiments... I wonder if anybody has swapped out the syncros for something that handles spirited shifting, something like from a civic Si or something (that was more or less just a curious thought/question...) it's probably not a big issue for some because they're not shifting fast into 2nd, or, they just don't see the value in ripping apart the tranny just to change out that syncro. anyway...

thanks again!!
-S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts