Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live here in the Tampa Bay area & I was supposed to already have my EX 2WD Manual Element by now. The dealership was going to get me one on a dealer trade about 4 weeks ago, but the other local dealerships here won't trade with them! Can someone please tell me are the Manual's this hard to get? I have always driven VW's & I have never had this much trouble finding a car! I really want the Manual & don't want an Automatic, but I am afraid I will not have a choice....Oh by the way, I am paying Invoice on my Element.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We had at least two salesmen tell us that only 10% of elements were going to be 5-spd. Add to that the initial relative scarcity of elements and EX's in particular and you have the situation you describe. We did get ours through a trade with another dealership Dallas --> Houston.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
To get my EX 5-speed in the color I wanted meant a 6-week wait. Only 3 GG EX 5-speeds came to California in April and May, so I consider myself fortunate to have snagged one of them. If you can wait until your dealer can get one, it's worth the wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i live in so cal- there are plenty of 5 speed manual ex's here- just need to get one for the best price!! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
No more Manual Transmissions?

Am taking delivery of my LX 4WD AT tomorrow. Was told by many dealers and others that there are no LX 4wd MT's in CA. A dealer in Reno told me that car does not exist. Was told at least 90 day wait to factory order. Then they wouldn't even do that because LX's are being discontinued for 09 And will be all AT's on the rest. Anyone out there substantiate this? Also heard that for 08 only 1% are MT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
few perhaps...none?

When I purchased mine (3q 2006) the Salesdoods(tm) would say "I don't know if... I've never SEEN...";

Mik.E's First Law Of Salesdoodz:
If they don't have the flavor/color/size/model you want, they're "not sure it exists" or "It's very rare"... "Here, why dont'cha look at THIS one with an AT instead...."

Do your homework. I found 2 in the greater Los Angeles area when I was searching out mine. Even had a dealer--*kawf*Galpin Honda*kawf*-- who I specifically told "I want to drive a stick and then I want to walk across the lot and drive an AT" to be sure I want the stick. They had me come on down; SD walks me to the AT... I say, yeah, let's drive the stick first... "Hunh? I don't KNOW if we have one of those...."

(So WHY are you wasting my time, you [CENSORED]?)

Walked directly to my car and left the lot. Civilly voiced my discontent to whoever in the showroom without breaking stride...

Eventually found mine at Thousand Oaks Honda... drove the MT/AT... And returned that night to purchase.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Try searching car sale sites like:

Vehix.com

Cars.com

Autotrader.com

Most dealers post their NEW inventory on these sites so people looking for a VERY specific car model combination can find it- and buy it directly from their lot.

Just be sure to use the advanced options or add more details to narrow your choices to only MT EX 2WDS.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In all of southern California, I was able to locate only two EX MTs in online inventory checks 2 months ago when I bought. But if necessary I would have gone the extra mile to find exactly what I wanted. My E is a keeper!

Doing the online inventory check will keep the sales scum at bay and help keep your head clear. Keep your eye on the prize and get what you want at the right price! Good luck!:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I never considered an automatic when I was shopping in March of 05. Knew I wanted an EX SOP 5spd. AWD and nothing else. Just to see if I really liked the E, I test drove a used Silver one with auto and don't even remember if it had AWD and didn't care because I wasn't buying it. When I decided to make the jump, I went by Pasadena Honda and there was a Magnesium Metalic 5spd. AWD that had just come in. It was filthy and still had all the shipping plastic on it. Looked like crap but drove it anyway and fell in LOVE! A week later, I went on line and got several quotes for what I wanted. Took the lowest bid to Pasadena Honda, they agreed to match it and made an overnight dealer trade. Everything was perfect and still is 3 years and 40,000 miles later!

My daughter was 17, had a Scion Xb and started going to a University in Prescott AZ. Because of snow and the fact that the Scion hydroplaned like crazy in the rain, we decided to get her a new EX AWD and she loves manuals as well. In August 05, she too went to Pasadena Honda and they could only come up with doing a dealer trade with a Cargo Kahki which was an unaceptable color for her. They did find 2 up in Hayward, 350+miles away; too far for Pasadena Honda to do a dealer trade. My kid got on the internet, made her own deal ($200 better than I did!) and got a top dollar trade in on the Scion. She drove up there with her mother because she was too young to sign contracts. She selected the Figi Blue EX 5spd. EX and still loves it 60,000 miles later. The point here is, maybe you go out of your way to get the car equipped the way you want but won't be disappointed.

BTW, I would have taken the MM E if I had seen how nice they look cleaned up. It really is a nice color but I have no regrets getting what is IMHO, the seminal color for the E.

Hold out for what you want, not what a dealer wants to foist on you and you won't have any regrets!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I live here in the Tampa Bay area & I was supposed to already have my EX 2WD Manual Element by now. The dealership was going to get me one on a dealer trade about 4 weeks ago, but the other local dealerships here won't trade with them! Can someone please tell me are the Manual's this hard to get? I have always driven VW's & I have never had this much trouble finding a car! I really want the Manual & don't want an Automatic, but I am afraid I will not have a choice....Oh by the way, I am paying Invoice on my Element.
You are not alone, I'm having same problem finding a manual EX and I am in Lakeland, FL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I settled for the AT after not being able to find a readily available manual. I am however pleased to say I have not been dissapointed with the performance.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
After owning both an automatic and a manual, I HIGHLY recommend the manual. So much better hauling, driving in bad weather, gas mileage . . . and more fun to boot!

Our local dealership found our exact specifications within a few days; we were expecting it to take a few weeks, but were pleasantly surprised.

Don't settle- a vehicle is a huge investment and this Honda will last forever if you want to keep it that long, so make sure you are getting what you want!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We own an '05 MT (mine) and an '05 AT (hers) and I will definitely and without reservation state -GET A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!

Better performance, and a lot more fun in the twisties. The difference on steep hills is dramatic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
With a little luck I will have my silver '08 EX MT next week. dealer found one in Florida. I had a Black '08 LX MT overnight to see if I wanted it, I decided the EX would suit me better, if the LX would have been a different color maybe I would have taken it but for few bucs more I get color I want with some of the nicer stuff on the inside.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
With a little luck I will have my silver '08 EX MT next week. dealer found one in Florida. I had a Black '08 LX MT overnight to see if I wanted it, I decided the EX would suit me better, if the LX would have been a different color maybe I would have taken it but for few bucs more I get color I want with some of the nicer stuff on the inside.
Gratz, post pics when you get it! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
312 Posts
Picked it up Thursday night, had 46 miles on the clock, glad I held out for a MT and the EX, It was brought over from Tampa Hondaland to my local dealer.

Took the dogs for a ride around the neighborhood, someone coined the phrase "smElement" and it fits...Thinking of a roof rack, home depot grill, the silver H grill logo on red background somehow has me intrigued, might do that too. No pics yet, working on it...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts