Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used honda type I and type II transmission fluid and changed it at 15-20K miles after I read that it sheers about 2 units per 10K miles. Type I starts out at a viscosity of around 11 and sheers to 6.6 in 20K miles. Type I was a little notchy in winter temperatures but I found a big improvement using type II. I think the improvement was due to a thinner viscosity. I know some people use Synchromesh which has a viscosity of 7-8. Don't want to go that route.

Looking for an opinion from people who have used Redline MTL or Amsoil 5W-30 transmission fluid at 30K mile intervals. I think that will be the route I take in the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
GM's Synchromesh "Friction Modified" has been great in my 03 Element. Completely eliminated the poor shifting 3rd gear caused by a crappy dealer rebuild. People on web boards have been using it for over 10 years w/ NO problems. It almost always cures poor shifting trannys. Unfortunately the stuff has been discontinued so too bad. On the Acurazine web board, some guys have said that the AmsOil stuff is exactly the same. Same smell and everything. Personally i would try this before bothering with the OEM Type II stuff (Type I is no longer produced).

The Type-II Honda fluid fixed my poor shifting 3rd gear in my 05 Acura TL for exactly 1000 miles. Then the problem came right back like before. Had to have the 3rd gear synchro replaced under warranty. Since then the trans has been perfect using Honda Type II (if that's what the dealer installed).

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
I just changed mine with Amsoil 10W30 @35k. Haven't noticed any discernible difference in shifting, etc. but, winter has just reared its ugly head (and HARD) here, so, time will tell. With recent temps at -10 and lower when I start her up, the shifting has not been stiff, and I do not warm her up more than 30 seconds-1 minute before starting off.
Of course, this is an MT, but, since you have not filled in your profile, I don't know the type of tranny you have in your E...... :??:

Hope this helps.... :razz:

·
Registered
38 Posts
While on this topic...

Is there a difference between ATF and MTF? Ya kno, since ATF is readily avail @ N E superstore... just curious.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you guys serious!?!?! You couldn't tell if he was talking about MTF or ATF?!?!?! The title of thread reads: Manual transmission fluid

Doesn't take a genius (or a profile) to figure that one out... :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah... MTF.

Are you guys serious!?!?! You couldn't tell if he was talking about MTF or ATF?!?!?! The title of thread reads: Manual transmission fluid

Doesn't take a genius (or a profile) to figure that one out... :lol:
Please pay attention, I did distinguish between the two. I asked about swapping / mixing them ... sheesh ... don't laugh if you have ADHD or somethin' n' don' read the whole post.

:evil:

P.S. Just chill, it's only fluid -- I just got some MTF in fact from the $tealership as it's one of my upcoming DIY's (thanks to this site).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Please pay attention, I did distinguish between the two. I asked about swapping / mixing them ... sheesh ... don't laugh if you have ADHD or somethin' n' don' read the whole post.

:evil:

P.S. Just chill, it's only fluid -- I just got some MTF in fact from the $tealership as it's one of my upcoming DIY's (thanks to this site).
Wasn't directed at you. I was talking to the people that complained about folks not filling out their profile. Like it really matters what car he drives or waht his profile says when the OP simply wanted to know about MTF. lol

To answer your question, ATF and MTF are nothing alike. MTF is just like regular motor oil except if contains specific additives (like friction modifiers) that help the synchros work more effeciently. Back in the early 90's Honda used to spec plain old 10w30 for thier manual gearboxes. In the owners manual it states that if Honda brand MTF is not available, regular motor oil can be substituted on a temporary basis...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts