Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising on the highway yesterday, and getting ready to take an off ramp, I depressed the clutch, shifted into neutral, released clutch pedal and coasted (or was planning to). The car coasted as if I was still in gear, decelerating via engine braking until around 20-30 mph. Then there was felt and audible pop/thud like the trans kicked out of gear and the car coasted like it would in neutral.

The problem repeated itself a few more times until I could pull over. I opened the hood had my wife work the clutch and shifter while I verified operation visually. I also checked the clutch fluid. All of these were fine.

We then ate lunch, and when we left. The problem could not be repeated. Even after 45 minutes of drving.

Aside from tearing apart the transmission anyone have any ideas? Are there any problems with the transmissions?

I'm fairly new to hondas, but have a formal automotive education and was an audi tech for a few years, so I have some ability to fix things, and I really hate taking my cars to the dealer. Thanks for your time.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Policetruck.

The first thing I'd look at is the shifter linkages. If the alignment is off and missing a detent, it might cause that behavior. Low fluid (which you checked) or a bad master or slave cylinder can impede full clutch disengagement and prevent the tranny from going into gear, though I haven't heard of it causing a failure to shift into neutral. Even so I'd check the clutch lever travel too.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome to the club and like Dan said check the linkage to make sure it not partially in gear and also check the trans fluid level. The fill plug is next to the drivers side axle shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a spec or anyone have an idea on clutch lever travel? Although i'm suspecting shift linkage is more likely the culprit.

Thanks for the help so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts