Honda Element Owners Club banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a bump as this is the best mod ever. Big Thank You! Worked first time for me too. Like others, my default winter setting is "floor/defrost" as it spreads the air around better. You get a breeze up top, but not too direct.

Less wear on the compressor is a good thing.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Actually it's a good idea to run the compressor every now and then even in the winter time. Keeps the seals lubricated to prevent leaks.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
One tip with 7 pages of responses from the peanut gallery.

Moderator. WHY ISNT THIS THREAD CLOSED?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
Actually it's a good idea to run the compressor every now and then even in the winter time. Keeps the seals lubricated to prevent leaks.
Keeping the "seal" lubed is old crap from the 60's when they used a carbon ring to seal the compressor shaft.

Fast forward to the present, most times the compressor clutch will only be engaged when above a certain ambient temperature around 34* to prevent freezing of the evaporator core. Having the option to not turn on the compressor should be determined by the driver when the windows fog, not by default of being in 'defrost' mode to simply direct warm air to the windshield.
Canadian versions got this correct

silly americans

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keeping the thread alive. I did this simple trick and it works as advertized.

Hadn't had a chance to try summertime heavy rain on the windshield/fog on the inside "defrosting" till today's cloudburst (rain coming down so hard, sounded like a horse peeing on a flat rock) and exclaimed, OH BOY, let's try the defrost without the A/C on. And...

It cleared the inside fog up immediately, no need for the A/C to be working.
Good to have the choice.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
If it did it almost immediately, your compressor came on. No way you blew outside air that was at 100% humidity onto a fogged up windshield and it cleared up right away. Physics says that that's impossible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it did it almost immediately, your compressor came on. No way you blew outside air that was at 100% humidity onto a fogged up windshield and it cleared up right away. Physics says that that's impossible.
Sounds like you don't believe me. Unlike a lot of people posting on this thread I can tell when my AC is on or off. My story is what happened. Your comment is based on theory. And wrong! Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
It's not that I don't believe that your windshield cleared up right away, it's just that I'm pretty certain that it didn't do it without the compressor. If it's raining the way you said, and you're pulling that nice 100% humidity air in and throwing it up on the windshield to try to get it to absorb more moisture, it's not going to happen very quickly.

And my comment isn't base on a theory. It's based on psychrometrics. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, this thread had been going for 10 years!

Anyhow, hi, this is my first post. As you might guess, my name is Doug and I live in Maine. I got my first Element - a 2011 - just a few weeks ago.

Driving home from work tonight I thought to myself "hey, that air coming out of the vent seems to be colder than it is outside... and the AC light isn't on... what the heck?" Long story short, after I found the instructions in this thread, my AC light now comes on when the AC goes on after I turn on the defroster. Thank god! I was thinking I had some sort of electrical problem! But... while I am pretty happy about this, it's not the reason for my post.

The original poster linked to an "Element Tips" page on the Honda of Canada website. The URL no longer works, nor does the updated one someone else posted. I was really curious to find what the other tips might be, though. Well, I checked "the wayback machine" and indeed you can see all the tips on the original page, courtesy of the Internet Archive. You can find the archived version of the original page by going to web.archive.org and searching for ---.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/YourHonda/VehicleTips/ElementTips.htm?L=E. Sometime in mid-2006 is the last time the actual page content was captured. [Sorry, since this is my first post, the forum won't let me put in the full URL, so be sure to add the "www" before "honda.ca"]

Cheers,
Doug

·
Registered
45 Posts
To deactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. Turn vehicle off.
2. Turn fan knob off.
3. Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area..
4. Turn vent knob to panel only setting (next to max. a/c..
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while turning the key to the "run" position (one short of starting..
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. Anytime you engage defrost or defrost/heat positions, the A/C will automatically turn on. Press the A/C button to turn the A/C compressor OFF, the light will go out.

NOTE: If the climate control computer is disconnected from battery power, it will likely revert to factory settings.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. Turn vehicle off.
2. Turn fan knob off.
3. Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area..
4. Turn vent knob all the way to the right (defrost position..
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while turning the key to the "run" position (one short of starting..
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. After the 7 seconds described in step 6, the re-circulation button will start to flash. Continue to hold the button for another 7 seconds. After this, the a/c light will turn to green and it's finished!

The Honda Canada website offers quite a few tips/tricks for the Element. The above is one of them.
This is great, thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The "A/C" is what dries the air in order to defrost the window....
yes, cold air cannot contain as much moisture as hot air, no one is denying that. this mod gives the user the ability to turn off the AC when desired, rather than have it continuously running just because the valve is in defrost mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's a reason why I turned off the A/C Compressor the other morning. The temp had dropped down into the 60's when I was going to head to work before 7am. It had rained the night before and it was very humid. Every window had fogged up both inside and out. It was already a bit chilly wearing only a short sleeve shirt so instead of allowing the a/c to blow cold air I turned it off and moved the temp dial to the warmest setting. I sat there for a few minutes and the windshield began to clear and I headed to work.

The wipers obviously don't work on the inside and wiping them down doesn't really work. If I had left the compressor on the windshield would have continued to fog for my entire 27 mile commute... BTDT.

This works perfectly.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Actually if you ran the with the air conditioning during defrost like honda does you just set the heat where you want it and it would have been even faster.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts