Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
This "feature" has been driving me nuts on my 02 Civic. I followed the same instructions and it worked on the Civic! Works great, now I can turn off the AC if I want to. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
As to why: here's my take:

I prefer to have air blowing all the time at a low-to-moderate rate, but the center console vents are too much and too focused. Instead I drive with the defrost/floor vents on almost all the time, and this fix allows me to do it without the A/C sucking up energy needlessly.

IMO, this should be the default, and there should be a 'max defrost' setting on the right end of the dial that kicks on the A/C.

Exactly my reason as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New 2007 EX

On my new ex 4wd ......the AC light does not come on when I put on the defroster. Honda must have changed the progamming.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
On my new ex 4wd ......the AC light does not come on when I put on the defroster. Honda must have changed the progamming.
That's the problem - it DOESN'T by default. The compressor comes on but it doesn't turn the AC light on. Also, after you've done this, make sure your fan isn't on "off". If you turn it to AC or defrost with the fan off, the AC light will stay off since it's not running with the fan off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heck yes!!

Man it drove me nuts that it went to auto a/c with defrost. Def notice the reduce power if your one who "loves to drive". This even became a heated argument with the wife, "WHY DO YOU KEEP TURNING OFF THE DEFROST!?" She didn't beleive me that the a/c was coming on cause that damn light didn't come on! This mod not only gives me that much more control over my E but saved my marriage! (ok maybe my marriage was fine anyway, but it still rocks!):D Now to do the 6th gear mod....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turning off the auto AC function

Just did this mod with my 08!
I suffered through the auto AC thing for 4 years with my old 04 E. Never knew you could turn that function off. This has been a pet peeve of mine for many years.
Interesting to note: when switching from heat, blend, or vent to heat/defrost the AC comes ON and can then be manually turned OFF. If you switch from heat/defrost to defrost, the AC stays OFF. If you switch from defrost back to heat/defrost, the AC comes ON again, and of course can be manually turned OFF.
Man, am I glad I found you guys!!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Just did this mod with my 08!
I suffered through the auto AC thing for 4 years with my old 04 E. Never knew you could turn that function off. This has been a pet peeve of mine for many years.
Interesting to note: when switching from heat, blend, or vent to heat/defrost the AC comes ON and can then be manually turned OFF. If you switch from heat/defrost to defrost, the AC stays OFF. If you switch from defrost back to heat/defrost, the AC comes ON again, and of course can be manually turned OFF.
Man, am I glad I found you guys!!
Welcome to the EOC Mike. Glad you found us after getting your second E! :) Hopefully you'll try and make it to some of the Northeast EOC gtg's that we have all the time.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
kikkin-fanny!!!

this is WONDERFUL!!!

had my E for a week ZOOMING thru all of our minneapolis snow and have been baffled as to why the mileage was not as expected and hoped for...

this explains alot...

i guess i knew the ac came on with defrost but never gave things a second thought...

now... my milage will improve :)

many thanks

iggy

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
MN coffees ???

somebody say coffee?

i love coffee...

i get mine shipped in special from san fran...

when/where are these meetings?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just did the mod today on my 08' E.
I was getting about 20 MPG in city before and in the last two days we got about six inches of snow in Denver, so I been using the defrost all the time.
I also filled up the gas tank and guess what? I averaged 16 MPG (also doing a remote start morning and night for about ten minutes each)

I am sure the MPG will be better w/o the A/C running.

Thanks guys.

Blueboy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
worth doing

Recently changed the defroster/ compressor setting on my 07 as described here. Well worth doing. I get better heat warm up and the dehumidification of the A/C function really isn't needed in most of my winter driving. Can't tell on mileage yet, as current severe winter driving conditions are bad for mileage anyway. Most of all, I like being able to know and control whether the compressor is running in defrost. As to debates over compressor seals, heck, I can turn it on once in a while just in case.

Trevor in VT

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Been wanting to do this for awhile and came on this thread. Will do the mod ASAP. It kills going up these steep hills and the damn compressor kicks in! Thanks Larry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great mod/hack. I've only had my E for about a month, but I found it irritating that you could not turn the AC off while in defrost mode.

101 - 120 of 197 Posts