Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
just turned off the auto a/c hope 2 get better m.p.g.

just gassed up my 03 (just turned over 70,000) getting 18 m.p.g. tire press. off about 1# all the way around. deactivated the auto a/c (used deckeda's method) in hopes that I can improve the m.p.g. I am going to in flate the tires after the next fill up so that I can see if the auto a/c was hurting my m.p.g. will get back soon

·
Registered
112 Posts
The unofficial AC/Heat AC light off during Defrost thread

There is a thread that tells you how to be able to override the AC while defrost is on. I followed that threads instructions and indeed while defrosting you can hit the AC button and the light goes off...............but on my E not the AC. It's quite easy to tell that the AC is still on around my house especially if you are going up a steep mountain. Of course I finally got out of the car and lifted the hood to verify this and the compressor does still move. My new Beetle does allow this but my E and maybe yours too doesn't. Check it and see.

ET

·
Registered
120 Posts
Confused

Sorry, but, I'm confused about this.
I have read all 11 pages, and have become even more confused reading all of the many ways that it has been explained.

Scenario:
I run my defrost, and the AC Button is in the ON postion (illuminated condition), and the AC Compressor is running.

Without performing this "Mod",
If I "mash" the AC Button to the OFF position (non-illuminated condition), then is my AC Compressor going to continue to be running even though the AC button is not illuminated?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I've done this mod/trick a few years back and I use it quite frequently.Certainly a great little trick/tip that make quite a difference.8)

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Sorry, but, I'm confused about this.
I have read all 11 pages, and have become even more confused reading all of the many ways that it has been explained.

Scenario:
I run my defrost, and the AC Button is in the ON postion (illuminated condition), and the AC Compressor is running.

Without performing this "Mod",
If I "mash" the AC Button to the OFF position (non-illuminated condition), then is my AC Compressor going to continue to be running even though the AC button is not illuminated?
Just to clarify for other people.....NO.

That's the reason behind this mod. So you can actually turn off the compressor when you have the setting in defrost mode. Otherwise the compresasor would just keep running even if you really don't need it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just did it on my 08 and worked perfectly. I don't necessarily mind the systems being turned on automatically but if it's gonna engage the compressor, I at least want the light to be "on" for consistency of what is running. (Don't understand why they didn't do that in the first place...I mean, it is an indicator light, no?)

Anyway...another thanks to the board for another great tip.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i FINALLY got around to doing this little modification... SOOOO much cooler now (no pun intended) that the AC pump doesn't have to be running whenever the defrost is on. *thumbup*

thanks man!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ditto the big thank you! After many years of putting up w/ not being able to turn off the A/C, finally got around to doing this.

+1 this thread for helping another owner. Love the EOC, threads over five years old and still helping others!

Thank you EOC and the wonderful community!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Civic SI has same issue

I did this mod to my 2008 SI. (perhaps a little different technique, but same results) Once you turn on the fan motor & switch to full defrost, the compressor turns on, and NEVER shuts off, no matter where you direct the air to after that (on the SI). Like many have said, it's great to do this mod so you at least know the compressor is still running long after you switch off the defroster. Better to know it's running because it must effect your economy and your power too. Every little bit helps. If you have a quiet place to sit at idle in your E, you can hear the compressor turn on when you select the defroster, and then hear it go off after you press the AC button. I, for one, want to know at a glance whether my AC is actually running or not. If I buy a new E, this will be the very first thing I do. Outstanding tip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did this today to my 08 EX I got two weeks ago. I didn't realize my AC was staying on after I moved off the defrost setting. Thanks to everyone who provides knowledge here, it has been incredibly useful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great mod/hack. I've only had my E for about a month, but I found it irritating that you could not turn the AC off while in defrost mode.
You can turn off the AC in defrost mode....the whole issue is that the indicator light doesn't indicate if the compressor is running or not unless you do the mod. Do this mod and then you will know when it runs. If you want AC, leave it running. If you don't need AC, turn it off.
I mentioned elsewhere that my current Civic SI will run the compressor indefinitely once you switch to defrost mode (with the fan running, of course). My favorite mode for ventilation/heat is the 'feet/windshield' setting with the fan on. After doing this mod I know at a glance whether or not my AC compressor is running or not. I'm not sure what other SI owners are getting for economy, but I've been exceeding the highway estimate on the sticker for almost a 100k miles now, and the right foot gets heavy on the way to work every day. If I never did this mod, I'll bet my MPG would definitely be lower because the AC compressor would have been on the entire time I've owned my car. I always have the fan running, at least on low setting.
Tomorrow I'll pick up my new E and this mod will be the first thing I do. Honda would be doing every buyer a favor if this was the default setting (the AC indicator light actually indicating the real truth). That's not asking much, is it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just got a second E last week... an 07... dropped in a new oversize battery and did this mod (again) tonight. Nice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great tip! I have always disliked not having the option to turn off the compressor in the DEF position. This does work with the 2011.

PP

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad I saw this thread - I was getting ready to take my E to the dealer to ask them to troubleshoot the AC system, as it seems as if the thing never shuts off!

141 - 160 of 193 Posts