Honda Element Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks

thanks for this post. i did this a while ago and the mod went thru no prob. talked to my bro in law about this (he is a certified mechanic), he was like, "why would you want to do this?". i tried my best to describe why i wanted it but mainly it was about controlling what i own and having the option to do it. :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd wager that, unless you run your defrost all the time, your fuel economy savings with this mod will be statistically insignificant. That said, we like to have CONTROL of everything. I'll bet Honda just wants their defrost to work properly for all of the masses..... H

·
Registered
32 Posts
This time of year in the rainy NW, I run with the defrost on low a fair amount of the time. There may be no savings there, but I drive a lot for work, so it's worth a try.

The fact that there is a cleverly hidden way to turn it off gives me hope...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The part that amazes me is the system was designed so the AC compressor will run, when the evaporator is cold it dehumidifies the air passing through the heater/ AC box to remove moisture thus cleaning the fog from the glass. Most all modern cars have adjustable discharge ducts and a couple you can't adjust so they will always be directed at key places on the windshield and the two front side windows as well. It is a safety feature to prevent poor visibility while driving in humid conditions. So that being said why would a person want the car to be less safe, that's kinda like disarming the ABS or stability program or perhaps the air bag system for what..... to save .2 miles per gallon?

·
Registered
532 Posts
The part that amazes me is the system was designed so the AC compressor will run, when the evaporator is cold it dehumidifies the air passing through the heater/ AC box to remove moisture thus cleaning the fog from the glass. Most all modern cars have adjustable discharge ducts and a couple you can't adjust so they will always be directed at key places on the windshield and the two front side windows as well. It is a safety feature to prevent poor visibility while driving in humid conditions. So that being said why would a person want the car to be less safe, that's kinda like disarming the ABS or stability program or perhaps the air bag system for what..... to save .2 miles per gallon?
Because if it is low humidity and I want ONLY the fan on while it is blowing up to the windshield instead of my face or feet.
If I need to dehumidify the air then I want the option to do it myself by pressing the A/C button.
Plus, doing this mod it fail safes to A/C on when you go to the defrost section.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to side with Daphne. When I have the dials set for the defroster, it will show me the AC unit is working (on). I think I will pretty much know if I really need the AC unit running or not, don't you think? It defaults to 'on' anyway when I turn it on next time. If AC is not required I can turn it off. The point is, the AC light will indicate if it's running/not running. I can figure out if I need the AC to help defogging.
As far as traction control is concerned, I DO shut it down when climbing really steep hills in the snow. If I left the traction control on trying to climb the hill to my house, I'd end up walking. It brings the car to a crawl when it's left on in the snow while climbing the steep stuff. That's why there is a switch to shut it down, and a light to indicate as much. Congrats to Honda for including the option to shut it off. By the way, after you shut your car off, it will reset the traction control to be 'on' again the next time you're on the road. More congrats?
Getting back to the AC light; the car is no less safe. Why would it be less safe? When the defroster is turned on, by default the AC will turn on anyway. I already know the AC is required to clear my foggy windshield. If the windows are foggy I think I'll know. I feel it's nicer to have the AC light indicating it's either running or not.
I drove a Honda Civic from east coast to west coast last summer. One day was around 90 degrees and I couldn't stand the heat, so I drove that day with the AC running. My economy tanked that day. I recorded every single tankful all the way across the country. AC kills your economy. The other days (of 4) I drove with the windows open and no AC. More than 20% better economy than driving with the windows shut/AC on. I broke 40 mpg with the windows open & AC off. The day I used the AC I got in the very low 30's....32+/-. Anyone tells you that driving with your windows open is about the same as using the AC with the windows buttoned up is full of crap. A lot quieter with the windows up, I'll say that much.
ABS I will leave on (Don't some high end performance cars have an over-ride?). Hey, I grew up without ABS. I remember back in the day before ABS going down an empty road at 40 or 50 and locking up the brakes on purpose just to learn how the car would react, so later on I would know how the car was likely to react in an emergency braking situation. I think overall I would still prefer not to have the ABS. It's helpful in the rain & snow but in the dry I think I could use the increased traction (no ABS) to my own advantage. But that's me. The good thing is you can have it your way, right out of the box. Right now I'm happy that I can have it my way too with a tweak here and there. Information is a good thing. The AC indicator on (or off) is information I want to know. If it makes no difference to you, move on and don't beat yourself up trying to understand the concept. Enjoy.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Turn the compressor off while blowing air at the windshield to get a nice spread out flow of air into the rest of the car. I do this all the time instead of using my dash ducts. The windshield acts as a pretty nice air deflector/spreader outer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
why is anyone bringing up safety? There is a large percentage of cars out there that don't even have AC! So they are unsafe?

I've had my E for over a month and the first thing I did was switch it to defrost/feet because all my previous AC-less cars ran in that mode. I had no idea that I was running the AC because there was no visual indication (light)!!! I can't wait to see if this mod helps my fuel efficiency (currently 17 MPG). :|

My last car (Mazda3) had no AC and where I live (Ottawa) it is VERY humid during summer months. The worst (and really only situation where my windows would fog up) was during a HOT (95+) day with rain. Otherwise my windows rarely fogged up.

Can't wait to have control over my components. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
King, I'm now getting 24.9mpg average in my awd auto. K&n filter, removed all the extra air box crap, and new o2 sensor. I was getting 19 prior to all that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You'll wish you didn't wait. Considering I've got almost 200,000 miles SINCE I did the mods (I waited until 80k to put in my k&n), it would have saved me more than the cost of the k&n MANY times over in petrol.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You'll wish you didn't wait. Considering I've got almost 200,000 miles SINCE I did the mods (I waited until 80k to put in my k&n), it would have saved me more than the cost of the k&n MANY times over in petrol.
Most likely the extra MPG is from removing the factory air box. Your probably getting hotter air which can give increase MPG. If your old O2 sensor was failing that also can make a significant difference.

BTW, if filter A lets through more air than filter B then it also lets in more dirt.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most likely the extra MPG is from removing the factory air box. Your probably getting hotter air which can give increase MPG. If your old O2 sensor was failing that also can make a significant difference.

BTW, if filter A lets through more air than filter B then it also lets in more dirt.
Unless, of course, it's not a paper filter like oem ones, and instead it's a gauze filter covered in oil.

Anyways, I've got nearly 200,000 miles on my k&n. Treated me well so far. Not to mention my dirtbikes, sportbikes, and other vehicles I've owned the last ~900,000 miles, also with k&n filters.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unless, of course, it's not a paper filter like oem ones, and instead it's a gauze filter covered in oil.

Anyways, I've got nearly 200,000 miles on my k&n. Treated me well so far. Not to mention my dirtbikes, sportbikes, and other vehicles I've owned the last ~900,000 miles, also with k&n filters.
The stock paper filter is about 99% efficient at filtering out particles. Gauze style are 90% at best if you have them oiled just right. Your K&N is letting 10x the dirt through than your factory filter was.

·
Registered
282 Posts
*shrug* considering what I do for a living and the lack of issues I've had, I go with real-world PERSONAL experience over advice offered on the interwebs. :) then again, my advice is just that. ;) take from it what you will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To deactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. Turn vehicle off.
2. Turn fan knob off.
3. Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area..
4. Turn vent knob to panel only setting (next to max. a/c..
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while turning the key to the "run" position (one short of starting..
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. Anytime you engage defrost or defrost/heat positions, the A/C will automatically turn on. Press the A/C button to turn the A/C compressor OFF, the light will go out.

NOTE: If the climate control computer is disconnected from battery power, it will likely revert to factory settings.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature:

1. Turn vehicle off.
2. Turn fan knob off.
3. Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area..
4. Turn vent knob all the way to the right (defrost position..
5. Hold down both air re-circulation button and a/c button while turning the key to the "run" position (one short of starting..
6. Continue holding for 7 seconds until air re-circulation button stops flashing.
7. After the 7 seconds described in step 6, the re-circulation button will start to flash. Continue to hold the button for another 7 seconds. After this, the a/c light will turn to green and it's finished!

The Honda Canada website offers quite a few tips/tricks for the Element. The above is one of them.
This doesn't work I tried it a thousand times. Is there a step missing? When trying to deactivate it the recirculating button doesn't not blink when you hold them both down in step 5. Only the AC button blinks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No wonder it doesn't work you have activate and deactivate instructions a** backwards. After 10 years nobody noticed? This forum must be full of BOZOs.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts