Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been doing some searching lately regarding the map lights wiring. I have read a couple threads but did not satisfy my search.

OK. I would like to have my map lights work as a dome light and map light too. Although not an E, my toyota sienna's front map lights work a dome light and a map light. It lit's up when I turn off the engine, open/close the door, use the remote to unlock/lock and manually switching it on with a push.

My question with the wiring to those who are well verse with electronics is this. What will happen if you connect the # 1 wire that is hot all the time and # 2 wire that's alterating ground and positive wire (which i believe controls the dome light) together? Will it short the alternating positive/negative wire down the line? I'm sure there should be a relay for this # 2 wire that operates the dome.

I was thinking of connecting the dome light ( wire # 2) in between the switch and the bulb on the map lights. If I do this, the map lights will lit up together with the dome lights. But I am worried about doing it since I don't know what will happen if I manually switch the map lights on which will then have power from both the hot wire(# 1) and the dome light wire(# 2) when the doors are open(I don't think there is a concern here) but a concern when the doors close because the dome light wire is now negative. Will this ruin the circuitry with the relay switch?I'm sure there should be another relay here since the dome lights turn off when you turn the ignition key on.

In my sienna, I can manually turn on the map lights in any situation whether the doors are close or open and won't affect any circuitry.

I'm sure there is something that can be done here and I'm just throwing something about it for some brainstorming. :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not sure how your '05 is wired, but my '10 is wired just like your Toyota. Try to find the wiring schematics for a '10 and compare them to your '05.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I've been doing some searching lately regarding the map lights wiring. I have read a couple threads but did not satisfy my search.

OK. I would like to have my map lights work as a dome light and map light too. Although not an E, my toyota sienna's front map lights work a dome light and a map light. It lit's up when I turn off the engine, open/close the door, use the remote to unlock/lock and manually switching it on with a push.

My question with the wiring to those who are well verse with electronics is this. What will happen if you connect the # 1 wire that is hot all the time and # 2 wire that's alterating ground and positive wire (which i believe controls the dome light) together? Will it short the alternating positive/negative wire down the line? I'm sure there should be a relay for this # 2 wire that operates the dome.

I was thinking of connecting the dome light ( wire # 2) in between the switch and the bulb on the map lights. If I do this, the map lights will lit up together with the dome lights. But I am worried about doing it since I don't know what will happen if I manually switch the map lights on which will then have power from both the hot wire(# 1) and the dome light wire(# 2) when the doors are open(I don't think there is a concern here) but a concern when the doors close because the dome light wire is now negative. Will this ruin the circuitry with the relay switch?I'm sure there should be another relay here since the dome lights turn off when you turn the ignition key on.

In my sienna, I can manually turn on the map lights in any situation whether the doors are close or open and won't affect any circuitry.

I'm sure there is something that can be done here and I'm just throwing something about it for some brainstorming. :)
The dome lights are wired as follows:

+12VDC on all the time.
Ground from the ECU. This is the one that does the delay off.
Ground to the metal frame of the chassis.
I dont remember the colors off hand for ECU ground and +12VDC
The dome light has a three way switch on it. OFF, Always ON, ON with door/fades to OFF.

The map light only has an ON/OFF switch. In order for you to do what you
want to do, the map light would have to have a three way switch as well.
This would allow you to run the Ground from the ECU wire from the dome
light to the map light. And for sure not have any problems.

If I am reading what you want to do correctly, you will turn on the map light
and send direct ground to the ECU. This may be OK. Not sure how it will act
when you have the map light on and the door open. Im guessing that it will
just go to ground and it wont fade, but stay on. As long as the map light
switch is going to chassis ground, you may be OK. So if the map light is off,
there is no ground to the light. I dont remember how the map lights are wired
either. I dont have my Helms manual handy.

Im sure one of our resident 12VDC experts will chime in. In theory in my head,
it will work. As long as the map light switch is switching ground and not the
+12VDC.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally able to make it work in theory and I'm just waiting for the part. I'll update you guys once mod is complete.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It can be done but you have to use diodes for it work correctly. I did it shortly after I had done the "both dome lights together" post.

The diodes prevent you from turning all the domes on at the same time, when you really only want to have one of the map lights on. In other words it keeps the map light switches separate from the domes while alowing the doors to turn the map lights on. Also if you use the manual switch on the dome light it will turn the map lights on but that is ok to me. Unless you want to run the wire somewhere other then the front dome.

BTW My wife is not a big fan of this mod. She thinks its too bright.

Another point to mention is if you turn off the front dome light from the manual switch (which keeps it off when the door is opened) the map lights will also stay off. Of course this depends what part of the dome light switch you wire into.

I ran a wire with a separte diode for each map light through the headliner over to the front dome light. Using 2 diodes keep the maplights separate from each other. The real problem (at least with my 2003) is that the map lights are just an on and off switch with no real way off connecting a wire to the "off" part of the switch. If your familar with the way standard 12v car relays work they allow you to use the on or off position. This switch doesn't really have that convience.

Unfortunately the maplight switch was never intended to be used in this way. However you can still wrap a wire in between the switch and light to make this work. I tried to solder it to the metal parts of the switch and light assembly but I think its made out of aluminum or at least a non solderable metal cause the solder wont stick. Maybe with some intense heat but that will just melt the plastic housing. I ended up wrapping a wire tightly around the switches metal in a loop and soldering the wire to itself.

If i get a chance and some spare time I will try a take a picture for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts