Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Element.When I drive with the A/C on "Max A/C" the temperature goes way up, to the point of over heating, unless I put it back to regular A/C. Has anyone had or having this issue?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Too little information. Does your putting it on "max" happen to coincide with your being in stop-and-go traffic? Or city driving?

I strongly suspect that the radiator fans aren't working. I have a hunch you are running it on "max" in slower traffic and then switching over to regular A/C setting at speed due to improved airflow, which benefits cooling - both you and the engine.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Weird, because the only difference between "regular AC" and "MAX AC" is the fact that during "MAX Mode" the air recirculation flapper recirculates the cabin air instead of drawing in hot outside air. If anything, the pressure and temperature in the AC system should go DOWN when you switch it over to "MAX". Strange.

If I were you I'd check the coolant level when the engine is cool.

Also, drive for a bit to get it up to operating temp and park it with it running. Pop the hood and turn on the AC and check to see that the fans (are there 2 in the E?) are working.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Like the last 2 posts it only closes the door to the outside and recirculates the cabin air but open the hood and check the fans are running with the AC on in the regular position and then move it to max and see if they are still on If not there may be something wrong in the climate control. Never had heard of this happening but its a check. If the fans are not working at all unplug one and see if you getting 12 volts to the motor with a voltage tester. If you are you will need to get the fan motors replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tell me again what max AC does?

I've always wondered what it does. So what previous posters are saying is that Max AC is the same as regular AC + recirculation button pressed on, except that Max AC doesn't light the recirculation button? That's it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts