Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I had to change my rear differential fluid, I didn't even know I had to. I went to the Honda Dealer and mentioned that the car lurched a bit when I did tight turns. Never thought of changing the diff fluid, as maintence was reccomended at 90K as per manual and I had 60k miles on it. They changed the plan to q30K for changes. Is there a happy medium? does differential fluid age according to how old it is? Use to get it done for $39.99, now it is $79.99. Honda dealer said it was because the price of oil went up.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i did mine at 70k..just as regular maint...i did it myself..2 bottles of fliud and 2 washers $ 28 at my local dealer...it took me 10 mins to complete..

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't know what the max mileage is; yours may vary due to operating conditions. When the E starts to groan in tight parking lot turns, its time.
se

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any non-Honda fluid, or should you only use Honda differential fluid? what is in that stuff anyway?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would use ONLY the Honda Dual pump fluid. About $10 for a quart. You need 1.1 quarts and two washers. Tip--Use 1/2" ratchet, no socket needed. The end of the ratchet fits the opening. Tip2--Open the fill (top) plug first. Don't take a chance draining and then find out you can't get the fill open.

You need a funnel, a 4 foot piece of tubing, fluid, washers, and a friend helps to pour the fluid into the funnel, while you hold the tubing in the top hole. There is a thread here with pics

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29533

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The price of oil went up? :roll:

It only uses 1.1 quarts, so to go from $40 up to $80 sounds like the price of a quart would have to have increased from something like $5-$10 to $40 or something like that!

In reality, the stuff costs less than $10 per quart....back in '04 when I got my E ,and last week when my E cruised past 115kmiles!

The story from the dealer is BS....find another place to get your service done.....what else are they BSing you on?!

The fluid should prolly be changed evey 30k miles, you can stretch it if you want, but the diff costs more to replace than it does to service. ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
We had new tires installed about the same time the diff. started to make the groaning sounds in tight turns. I really thought the agressive thread was the problem, until I found this site, thanks to ApriliaGuy for your DIY. That was at about 50k and I will be doing it every 30k from now on.

·
Registered
816 Posts
hey cyclist 306....to make it easier you dont need a funnel or tubeing..i used a nipple from a bottle of dishwasing soap,,i cleaned it out really good...twisted it right on the the dual pump fluid bottle ,,stuck the nipple right into the fill hole and squeez away,,took 2 mins to fill....good luck all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Big Smoke, I didnt think of that... the cap actually screwing on the oil
container. ps. changed mine approx 50k ago with the funnel/hose method
and just went with 1 quart and didnt bother with the additional 0.1 qt. I think at least that amt is retained when you drain it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
thats true,,,i bought 2 bottles,,,it took 1 full bottle,,then about a sips worth from the 2nd bottle,,,thats hondas was of screwing us into buying the 2nd bottle,,lol,,,well i have some left over for the next time i'll only need 1 bottle.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
hey cyclist 306....to make it easier you dont need a funnel or tubeing..i used a nipple from a bottle of dishwasing soap,,i cleaned it out really good...twisted it right on the the dual pump fluid bottle ,,stuck the nipple right into the fill hole and squeez away,,took 2 mins to fill....good luck all.
Simply genious...

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I cheated also. I used the tapered nozzle, off of my chain saw bar oil bottle. I just cut it back to a larger opening, that would still fit in the fill hole.

Works like a charm.

Dom

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I knew the dealer was BSing me. will have to look into doing it myself, Need to get that and the check engine light under control. Guess thats what happens once you get to 118K. The check engine light is only for emissions purposes correct?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks guys, I knew the dealer was BSing me. will have to look into doing it myself, Need to get that and the check engine light under control. Guess thats what happens once you get to 118K. The check engine light is only for emissions purposes correct?
yes,,most auto stores like pepp boys autozone,,they will hook up the scanner and give you the code for free,,,good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts