Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Element EX AWD, Ursa E-Camper, Sparco Terras w/General Grabbers, Yakima Locknload
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I got my 2008 E in September of 2018. I searched the US for a 2008 EX AWD in Galaxy Gray or black. I finally found the right one in Michigan, close to my parents. Had it inspected by a local Honda dealer, who recommended about $2200 worth of work. The seller knocked off $1100, without me even asking. That brought the sale price to $8,100 for an '08 with 108,000 and brand new Goodyear Advantage all season tires.

In early 2019, I took the car to Ursa in Portland and had the E-Camper conversion done. I went with many of the options, including the Yakima Skyline rack, and the Gobi ladder.

I spent the rest of 2019 and early 2020 adventuring the **** outta this thing. I have been in Utah for work since April of 2018. In the time I have had the element, I have put 40,000 miles on it. I have camped all over Idaho, Washington, Utah, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming. I also took a month long road trip in February, back through Michigan, New York, down the east coast, through Kentucky for a week of bourbon tasting, to California, and back to Utah.

During this time I have had all regular preventative maintenance done at Honda dealers. I am sticking with synthetic oil for the oil changes. I haven't had any parts failures or mechanical issues, but the rear suspension is getting a little stiff from the weight (had 3 people and probably 60 bottles of whiskey from Charleston to Chicago :p). This car is rock solid and has been a champ.

This year I finally started doing some of the upgrades I have always wanted to do. My golas were to make it more comfortable (sound dampening, better stereo), more off-road capable (wheels, tires, brakes, suspension), and to complete the rack set up (to hold a rotopax, tracks, solar, and some storage).

Posts to follow with pics as the mods occur.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
992 Posts
Welcome too the EOC k3r! :)

Those are absolutely great photos!

Sounds like you got a real good deal as well.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Element EX AWD, Ursa E-Camper, Sparco Terras w/General Grabbers, Yakima Locknload
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome too the EOC k3r! :)

Those are absolutely great photos!

Sounds like you got a real good deal as well.
Thank you so much!

This community has been so helpful! I'm excited to participate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The next thing I did was to swap out the headlights. The passenger headlight was very foggy, I tried a couple of different methods for clearing the haze, but they were ineffective. I got this set of OEM headlights for $130 on the bay, so I figured it was worth it. Since I was already removing the front bumper, I decided to install OEM fog lights, with PIAA 2500K bulbs, at the same time.

I followed a very handy post with a linked YouTube video for the fog light install, I will find the thread and add here when I have a sec

I love the way a fresh set of headlights makes this car look years newer. Just adding the new headlamps and fogs makes it look so much cleaner IMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After 40k miles, the Goodyears were starting to show their age. They still have usable tread, but I had a couple of close calls on soft sand/gravel. Time to upgrade.

I went with a set of Sparco Terra 16" wheels in painted gray, with General Grabber 235/70R16 tires. These tires are definitely the biggest you can fit without rubbing. Even at full lock, I have no issues, and the fenders can still roll and clear the edge of the tire if the body is tilted.

As a note, I was very worried about tire noise from this set up. Turn out that was unfounded. The age and wear of the Goodyears made them actually louder than this set up, even at highway speeds.

Before and after pics below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very beautiful car with beautiful scenery!
Thank you so much! I feel so lucky to have so much time here in Utah...sure is a nice view from the office (especially the Element!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I got my 2008 E in September of 2018. I searched the US for a 2008 EX AWD in Galaxy Gray or black. I finally found the right one in Michigan, close to my parents. Had it inspected by a local Honda dealer, who recommended about $2200 worth of work. The seller knocked off $1100, without me even asking. That brought the sale price to $8,100 for an '08 with 108,000 and brand new Goodyear Advantage all season tires.

In early 2019, I took the car to Ursa in Portland and had the E-Camper conversion done. I went with many of the options, including the Yakima Skyline rack, and the Gobi ladder.

I spent the rest of 2019 and early 2020 adventuring the **** outta this thing. I have been in Utah for work since April of 2018. In the time I have had the element, I have put 40,000 miles on it. I have camped all over Idaho, Washington, Utah, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming. I also took a month long road trip in February, back through Michigan, New York, down the east coast, through Kentucky for a week of bourbon tasting, to California, and back to Utah.

During this time I have had all regular preventative maintenance done at Honda dealers. I am sticking with synthetic oil for the oil changes. I haven't had any parts failures or mechanical issues, but the rear suspension is getting a little stiff from the weight (had 3 people and probably 60 bottles of whiskey from Charleston to Chicago :p). This car is rock solid and has been a champ.

This year I finally started doing some of the upgrades I have always wanted to do. My golas were to make it more comfortable (sound dampening, better stereo), more off-road capable (wheels, tires, brakes, suspension), and to complete the rack set up (to hold a rotopax, tracks, solar, and some storage).

Posts to follow with pics as the mods occur. View attachment 204391 View attachment 204392 View attachment 204393
Hi all,

Posts to follow with pics as the mods occur. View attachment 204391 View attachment 204392 View attachment 204393

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Your car looks stunning I must say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts