Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new 08 Element. Went by the service department today and they said come back and talk to the district rep who will be at the dealership tomorrow. Here are some problems I have had with my new Element ( 08 2WD AT TRP 1,112 miles).

1. The driver and passenger door rubber seals are starting to tear. Each piece of rubber has a torn section of about a foot in legenth over the front window and is already starting to leak a little on both sides.
2. The radio has a thick "fog" over the display on the inside and it is getting worse. It looks like Armor All and I can barely see the display at times.
3. There is a very bad paint over spray problem on the passenger side rear door. They already said that they would fix it. Should I let them repaint my door? If not, I believe that the paint will start pealing. Also, when we were looking at the rubber door seals at the dealership I noticed that on the drivers side, both doors were painted TRP on the bottom. On the passenger side, both doors are primer color on the bottom and not TRP. It is like they did not paint the whole door. Is this normal?
Like I said, I love this Element. It drives great, except for the mushy brakes, and the interior is perfect. I just wanted to know if anyone else had had these problems on a new E with only around 1K miles. This is the first new Honda that I have ever had any problem with.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My 2 cents: For a new car still waaaay under warranty, these are no-brainers! :rolleyes:

First: safety-- there's no way the brakes should be mushy. Dealer fix. Now.

1. The driver and passenger door rubber seals are starting to tear..... .
Dealer should replace both seals, but first determine if they were improperly mounted, or if there are some rough areas, sharp edges, or adhesive spillovers on the door jamb that caused the problem in the first place. Remedy the cause, then replace the seals.

2. The radio has a thick "fog" over the display on the inside and it is getting worse. It looks like Armor All and I can barely see the display at times. .
Dealer should replace the unit. Period.

3. There is a very bad paint over spray problem on the passenger side rear door... Also,... on the passenger side, both doors are primer color on the bottom and not TRP. .
Factory cars are painted by robots. In addition to never calling in sick, never showing up hung-over, and never bitching about management, robots also never miss any spots. :cool: Sounds to me like your vehicle suffered some transit damage, and the two pax doors were replaced by some rather shoddy local body shop. This could account for both missed bottoms and the overspray (from the adjacent work bay). Dealer shoud verify they're OEM doors and properly mounted, and then dealer should absolutely (PROPERLY) repaint the whole area.

Don't be a nice guy with the rep, trying to cover your dealer a little bit. There is no way that car should have ever gotten past even a rudimentary pre-delivery inspection. They sold you a defective car, plain and simple. :-x

·
Registered
244 Posts
Radio fog

Please let me know what they say about the radio. The radio in my '08 is slowly starting to fog up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
arnt there some testers available that u can determine if its OEM paint /panel or aftermarket paint/panel???
There are others here with a great deal more inside knowledge than me, but in general my experience has been that many third party body parts are formed of a lighter guage of steel, and that many body shops don't apply as thick a paint coating as the factory spec. These are just cost cutters, but afaik they are measurable.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
i rem someone @ a bodyshop with a handheld device....and it gets pressed to the panel for a reading to determine if it was an afterjob

·
Registered
4 Posts
It drives great, except for the mushy brakes.??

Big problem. Ask the rep. about the TSB on the problem. I had the same problem and they replaced my ABS/VSA/TCS modulator,( as per bulletin 07-045 ) and bled the system. They work fine now. It IS a common problem.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Just backing up the others. There's no way those doors are right so find out the real story behind what happened. I used to run one of those paint robots at the HumVee plant and even the military wouldn't accept the problems you're describing.

My '08 also has the mushy brake problem. It's not easy getting back to the dealer for repair but it's going soon. My dash just lit up today for my first "A" service.

·
Registered
541 Posts
hapyface is right they can measure how many coats it has on it,its a magnet w/gauge.sometimes if a dealership dings there own cars they have companys come and repair in the lot, could be waht the overspray is from.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'll agree with everyone so far on all of the problems except one. The paint.

Were you not given the opportunity to inspect the vehicle when you took delivery? I don't see how you could have missed such sloppy paintwork. I do agree that the dealer should fix it at no charge but, if you knew of this prior to purchase you should have just asked for a different vehicle. If you weren't given such an opportunity then your dealer is a thief and should spend some time in PMITA jail for fraud.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
brawsie i have to disagree with u........ dunno why..... ;-)

well u know inspection is always hard...... emotions and excitment running high and dont want to hanging out @ the dealership for too long....also there may be left out items to check so......

well let us know how this works out with the district rep..... if needed go kick their butts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Tombo!
I just checked my E. If you recall from the meet in TN, my E came off the line about 200 later than yours. Pretty close in my book. My passenger doors are painted on the bottom.
I have one tiny tear on my back rubber gasket but it is small. I will keep an eye on it to see if it becomes a problem though. Thanks for the heads up!
Let us know how this plays out.
Best wishes to the wife!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Met with district rep. today. Results:
1. Radio will be replaced with new radio, not a re-manufactured radio.
2. Passenger rear door will be repainted with extended warranty on paint job.
looked at other Elements on lot and a new Civic. All had very thin paint on bottom of doors. Seems to be a hit or miss issue with Honda paint. Paint and doors on passenger side are factory, not replacements. 3. Door rubber seals will be replaced. No answer as to why this happened, but other Element on lot, used 07 SC, had the same tearing of weatherstripping on door and very thin paint on door bottom. 4. Mushy brakes, brakes will be repaired as per TSB.

Overall I am well pleased. Guy did not BS me, admitted that the car should have not been delivered with paint issue. I love my element and none of my friends with them have had any major trouble with them in years.

BTW, I went over the car before it was delivered and found 3 paint issues, the car had been on the lot for almost a year, that were fixed by the next day when we picked the car up. The bad paint spot is kind of hard to see unless you are a couple of inches from the car. Except for this one spot, the paint looks great. Stopped by the Cadillac dealer on way home and looked at new 55K Cadillac in the same shade of red as my E. The paint on the 55K Caddy did not look near as good as the paint on my E and had several paint runs of over 6" on hood and rear quarter panels.

I was told by an attorney that when cars are damaged "in a minor fashion" in transit or on the lot BEFORE they are titled and sold, that the dealer is not required by law to disclose "minor" damage to customer. What legally constitutes "minor" damage is whatever the arbitration board, judge, or jury decides in each individual case. In other words, Honda has more and better lawyers than YOU do!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm glad it was resolved to your satisfaction. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Happy Day

:D
Glad that they are going to take care of you. I need to get in there about that TSB with the brakes too. Let me know if anything else pops up on you! Our E's are so close, they are practically related! LOL :D

·
Registered
523 Posts
It drives great, except for the mushy brakes.??

Big problem. Ask the rep. about the TSB on the problem. I had the same problem and they replaced my ABS/VSA/TCS modulator,( as per bulletin 07-045 ) and bled the system. They work fine now. It IS a common problem.
Did this only affect the 08's? I can't find the actual TSB anywhere.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Holding the TSB in front of me now. It's 07-045, dated March 5, 2009.

2007 Element 2WD ALL
2007 Element 4WD ALL
2008 Element 2WD from VIN 5J6YH18..8L000001 - 5J6YH18..8L015906
2008 Element 4WD from VIN 5J6YH28..8L000001 - 5J6YH28..8L018137

Somebody did post a link to it recently in pdf form. Search for the word "spongy"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts