Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey EOCers...

Just wanted to post my thoughts on this stuff for your entertainment... Some background first... Got my E back in August '09 and have only washed it once... I've let the rain take care of the dirt the rest of the time... So, on to the review...

The Meguiar's product (liquid not paste) I bought a Wally World... Meguiar's $15.44 (18oz in box w/applicator pad) and Mother's $5.57 (8oz bottle)...

Did the washing portion with Dawn dish soap as recommended by some EOCers and hand-dried with a syn-chamois... Took the time to wipe off all the drips and gave it about an hour for the air to take care of the rest... Next the Meguiar's... First off, let me say, I am very familiar with most of the Turtle Wax line of car care products... Their "Ice" is an "ok" product but some have passed on it so I decided to try something different...

First off, is it me or have other users REALLY like the smell of the wax...? This is the first time I've noticed a rather "nice" smell to something like a wax...! Okay, applicator in hand and it went on smoothly... (What do you expect, it's already a liquid...! LOL!) Hood, roof, fenders, etc, etc... You get the idea... Grabbed a micro-fiber terry towel and wiped off the wax... Not too hazy but I knew it was dry... Since it a new truck, I didn't have too many smoothness issues... After the wash, I checked the condition of the paint/clear coat and it was free of grease and squeaky clean... Now after the wax, you could feel the Meguiar's and it was smooth... So, easy on, easy off, smooth result, and a GREAT smell...

Now for the Mother's Back-to-Black... Little red bottle... Milky white fluid... Honestly, I was surprised because I was expecting to see "black"... Duh...! Okay, read ("red") the instructions and it is a wipe-on/wipe-off product... I was thinking, "Oh crap, what did I get myself into...?" Since this is the first time to use both products, I wasn't sure what I had started... Whew...! I was relieved to find the M-B2B was simple... Double-Duh...! So, bumper, bug-guard, wiper well, cladding, etc, etc... After carefully applying this stuff to all things plastic, I made sure to wipe off any overage on the waxed stuff... Prior to wiping it off, I touched the mirrors and found that the stuff was sticky... I'm guessing because I put too much... So a quick buff and no more stickiness... The result was a smooth and shiny finish which did return the graying plastic (Armor All) "Back-to-Black"...

Forgive the quality, it is afterall from my phone... Front view...

View from the opposite corner...

Will report on how long this stuff lasts...

LBD

·
Registered
207 Posts
job well done, but just my 2 cents, never use dish soap no matter how mild someone says it is. It's called DISH SOAP for a reason.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
job well done, but just my 2 cents, never use dish soap no matter how mild someone says it is. It's called DISH SOAP for a reason.
REZA,

Why...? If I may ask...? Isn't the job of a skin safe degreaser worthwhile versus other more expensive "car soaps"...? I figure it's mild enough to get most of the serious stuff off without messing with the clear coat...

Just curious about your 2¢...

Thanks...!

LBD

PS: Thanks for stopping by...!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dish Soap is pretty hard on the paint. If you were to wash your car with it now after waxing it, it would remove all of your hard work. I used to use it on occasion when i knew i was going to wax the car after washing, but i would never use it to wash my car regularly with. Car Soap does not strip off the wax, giving your paint more protection in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
McGuires Back to Black

Used B2B on my 07 element since I purchased it new in October of 06 (any hey, just turned 30k). Haven't had to replace the bottle yet! This stuff keeps the plastic parts nice and black forever (in my case). Quick and easy, and buffs out to a nice, "not too shiny" sheen. I've found that buffing is the key...left too much on once without enough buffing and it streaked in the rain. No problems since. I do it a couple of times a year, whether it needs it or not. Not sure how long lasting it is for cars that aren't garaged, but great stuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dish Soap is pretty hard on the paint. If you were to wash your car with it now after waxing it, it would remove all of your hard work. I used to use it on occasion when i knew i was going to wax the car after washing, but i would never use it to wash my car regularly with. Car Soap does not strip off the wax, giving your paint more protection in the long run.
Exactly, a dish Soap will strip off you wax and soften your clear coat. Just do a reaserch on Auto Detailing forums such as autopia.org and autogeek.net, Dish Soap is a no no in car detailing 101.
Moreover car soap isn't expensive, one small jug lasted me two years. Why take a chance and damage the brand new paint?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...and THAT...

Exactly, a dish Soap will strip off you wax and soften your clear coat. Just do a reaserch on Auto Detailing forums such as autopia.org and autogeek.net, Dish Soap is a no no in car detailing 101.
Moreover car soap isn't expensive, one small jug lasted me two years. Why take a chance and damage the brand new paint?
... is EXACTLY why I love these forums... Many thanks fellow EOCers... I guess my "future" report will be about the Mother's B2B... I do like the stuff...

As far as the Meguiar's NXT wax is concerned, I've got some serious rain coming tomorrow so I'll give it a report... It is still feeling "smooth" and "thick" on the paint (actually on the rear door latch area) so I'm hoping I did a good enough wax job on the 'ole LunchBox... We'll see just how hydrophobic that stuff is...!

Thanks all for the awesome input...! Will heed all advice...!

LBD

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
51 Posts
As stated, dish soap is a no no.

I started out with B2B also, then tried Meguires Gold Class Trim Restorer. I'm probably wrong but both products look / preform about the same. I had more issues with streaking and what I considered not a real long life.

Late November/early December I purchased and applied a product called Poorboys World Trim Restorer. I've only applied it once and to this day I've had no streaking and it still shines like it came down the assembly line. It's about twice as expensive at the above product, but you use so little it will save you $$ in the long run.

Both links that the previous poster gave to you are exceptionally good places to visit and learn from (like this one). I laughed when I first came across autopia.com...I thought you have to be kidding, a forum on how to wash a car?? Really now....then I started reading man I didn't realize what was really involved in maintaining a car finish.

Hope to see you over on the other forums.

Mark

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mark...!

As stated, dish soap is a no no.

I started out with B2B also, then tried Meguires Gold Class Trim Restorer. I'm probably wrong but both products look / preform about the same. I had more issues with streaking and what I considered not a real long life.

Late November/early December I purchased and applied a product called Poorboys World Trim Restorer. I've only applied it once and to this day I've had no streaking and it still shines like it came down the assembly line. It's about twice as expensive at the above product, but you use so little it will save you $$ in the long run.

Both links that the previous poster gave to you are exceptionally good places to visit and learn from (like this one). I laughed when I first came across autopia.com...I thought you have to be kidding, a forum on how to wash a car?? Really now....then I started reading man I didn't realize what was really involved in maintaining a car finish.

Hope to see you over on the other forums.

Mark
We'll see just how much more time I can squeeze out of a day...! LOL!!! Since we don't have too much rain over here in Northern Cali/SF Bay Area, I can't see myself spending that much money on the Poor Boys stuff and the Mother's B2B didn't streak (followed the instructions) and all the products that I have on the 'ole LunchBox has performed better than expected... Driven her through 3 rainstorms and the NXT wax, B2B, and Rain-X has held up great... Can't expect more than that...!

LBD

·
Registered
61 Posts
cleaning plastic panels with mothers b2b

based on what i read here today i went out and got the mothers b2b. cost more but i got it at an auto parts store, may not be carried by wallymart, but i will check monday...anyhows, i put the stuff on my faded stained grey plastic panels and in no time they looked brand new!!! great stuff. made them go from faded light grey to shiny dark grey. worth the money for sure!! why didnt i know about this stuff two years ago when my panels started to look bad? oh well, better late than never. also, i always have used turtle wax on my car, low priced and just does a great job. why spend money on expensive waxes? also that blue ice in a spray bottle is great to use all the time and just watch the water bead up next time it rains. use it frequently and keep those elements shiny!! thanks....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts