Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just picked up this 2006 Element EX FWD.

I'll be keeping a log of work done, mods, and updates here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First up, fixing the exhaust leak.

Simple doughnut replacement, here's a pic of the old vs new gasket.

This weekend I'll be spending a HUGE amount of time cleaning the interior and swapping the shot engine mounts.
I plan on pulling all major panels and giving them a good scrub by hand. They are pretty gross.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I pulled most of the interior. The front seats are basically the only major part left in the vehicle at this time.

Tomorrow I'll be scrubbing each and every disgusting panel by hand and drying them. I also need to vacuum out the chassis. I may pull the rubber floor as well, not decided yet on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A continuation from before, every single panel was scrubbed. Here's some examples of how horrible it was when I got it.

To get the items this clean I bought some drill brushes on Amazon and used Castrol Superclean

I drilled out the melted plastic studs to pull the crap holders off the door panels. Here's the awesomeness inside.

After meticulously cleaning all the blue parts they went into a box to await their blue to black conversion.

The seats were a special level of hell to clean. I used Chemical Guys Fabric Clean, plus an hour and a half per seat with the drill brush followed by shop vaccing them. They were then allowed to dry for 24h with a fan on them.

"Oooh the armrests are blue?!"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next step for me was to change all the blue accents to black because, well, the blue looks kind of stupid here in 2019.

The rubber armrests and air bag were vinyl dyed with Duplicolor vinyl and fabric coating. They were hit with adhesion promoter first. I've found on Hondas, this holds up well over time. I've done airbags before.

The plastic pieces were painted in just an average semi-flat paint, nothing special. After they were painted I wanted to enhance the silver accents in the car. I purchased 3m 1080 brushed titanium vinyl to wrap them.

The center console was also painted black, then wrapped with the titanium vinyl. Gives it a newer model look.

I painted the kind of dark silver parts for the door panels as well as wrapped the speaker grills in grill cloth.
I used some gunmetal "chicago screws" to put the panels back on since I had to drill them out to separate the door plastics.

Here's the speaker grills after getting some nice speaker cloth.

While that was happening I cleaned the headliner with the Chemical Guys fabric clean using a drill and the drill brush.
The inside still had a funky smell even after all my cleaning efforts so I picked up an Ozone machine which worked wonders.

Headliner, not perfect but a WHOLE lot better than before let me tell ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's how the airbag turned out. Missed the pic in the previous post.

Next up was to put the panels back in. Here's some glamour shots. You can see the "chicago screws" holding the crap holders back onto the main door panel.

I had ordered some CoverKing seat neoprene seat covers because the seats all had rips. Installing here.

And finally I fixed the engine mounts. I replaced them all but the rear one was the one in really horrible shape.

Then I went to the junkyard to get a couple odds and ends and, well, I went a bit overboard. I found an element with a complete black interior missing a door panel. The rear seats were in 100% perfect condition. I'll find some better front seats for mine in time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow! I admire your ambition Meltman! I'm not so sure I'd want to get mine quite that far apart!

But, it certainly looks like it's coming together nicely for you!

Keep up the good work! : - )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Certainly not my first Honda rodeo. I’ve had lots of tuner cars over the years. They all pretty much come apart and go back together the same way in Honda land.

I think next steps for me are to fix some of the lingering issues I’ve got.
  1. The heater blend door needs some love and lube to open and close freely.
  2. Battery needs upgrading. Have an AGM battery out of a 2019 RDX to drop in
  3. Figure out the SRS malfunction. Light reset resulted in it coming back on
  4. Figure out why the rear wiper doesn’t work
It’s a bit cold in Chicago so progress will be slower than otherwise.

I did get a leather pilot steering wheel installed though. It’s nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts