Simple doughnut replacement, here's a pic of the old vs new gasket.
This weekend I'll be spending a HUGE amount of time cleaning the interior and swapping the shot engine mounts.
I plan on pulling all major panels and giving them a good scrub by hand. They are pretty gross.
A continuation from before, every single panel was scrubbed. Here's some examples of how horrible it was when I got it.
To get the items this clean I bought some drill brushes on Amazon and used Castrol Superclean
I drilled out the melted plastic studs to pull the crap holders off the door panels. Here's the awesomeness inside.
After meticulously cleaning all the blue parts they went into a box to await their blue to black conversion.
The seats were a special level of hell to clean. I used Chemical Guys Fabric Clean, plus an hour and a half per seat with the drill brush followed by shop vaccing them. They were then allowed to dry for 24h with a fan on them.
The next step for me was to change all the blue accents to black because, well, the blue looks kind of stupid here in 2019.
The rubber armrests and air bag were vinyl dyed with Duplicolor vinyl and fabric coating. They were hit with adhesion promoter first. I've found on Hondas, this holds up well over time. I've done airbags before.
The plastic pieces were painted in just an average semi-flat paint, nothing special. After they were painted I wanted to enhance the silver accents in the car. I purchased 3m 1080 brushed titanium vinyl to wrap them.
The center console was also painted black, then wrapped with the titanium vinyl. Gives it a newer model look.
I painted the kind of dark silver parts for the door panels as well as wrapped the speaker grills in grill cloth.
I used some gunmetal "chicago screws" to put the panels back on since I had to drill them out to separate the door plastics.
Here's the speaker grills after getting some nice speaker cloth.
While that was happening I cleaned the headliner with the Chemical Guys fabric clean using a drill and the drill brush.
The inside still had a funky smell even after all my cleaning efforts so I picked up an Ozone machine which worked wonders.
Headliner, not perfect but a WHOLE lot better than before let me tell ya.
Here's how the airbag turned out. Missed the pic in the previous post.
Next up was to put the panels back in. Here's some glamour shots. You can see the "chicago screws" holding the crap holders back onto the main door panel.
I had ordered some CoverKing seat neoprene seat covers because the seats all had rips. Installing here.
And finally I fixed the engine mounts. I replaced them all but the rear one was the one in really horrible shape.
Then I went to the junkyard to get a couple odds and ends and, well, I went a bit overboard. I found an element with a complete black interior missing a door panel. The rear seats were in 100% perfect condition. I'll find some better front seats for mine in time.
As to your battery, you also might want to consider upgrading to a 24F battery. (There are several threads on this site about it.) It's a simple upgrade, and will get you quite a few more CCA's for those really cold mornings! And because the 24F is still pretty common, the chances of you finding one on sale for a very good price are quite high!
Cold in Chicago? Imagine that! I've had enough of that for one lifetime!
I spent my first 17 years there. Then I spent my next 11 years in NW Indiana, which was actually much worse because of the lake effect snow! : - (
So on my 28th birthday we moved to SW Florida and have been here 33+ years now! Much better! : - )
Managed to get the radio installed. Sony XAV-AX5000 with the Scosche kit.
Here it is without the bezel installed. I was still trying to get steering controls working (which do now). On a Sony headunit you can use the Green/Red Stripe wire to 3.5mm tip and the Brown wire to 3.5mm sleeve for native wheel controls.
With the Bezel installed. Had to shim a bit to get it flush but it is pretty close now. The color of the radio matches the OEM dark silver almost perfectly.
Next project is to get these LED dome lights installed.
Small update on an issue I've had with my element. When I got it, the subwoofer trim and the subwoofer itself did not fit correctly. The tabs had been broken off of the subwoofer as well. Turns out, somehow, the previous owner managed to high center the vehicle and "dome up" the floor right in that area.
I used a large hammer to flatten the floor back down. It aint pretty but no metal is torn and everything fits properly now.