Honda Element Owners Club banner

What would you like to do?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This began as a Memorial Day Week End camping trip with two couples and has since gathered momentum.

If anyone is interested in coming along (so far there are 10 of us and 5 E's)
you're welcomed to join us Camping Fools for some superb California Central Coast camping fun.

Date: May 27-29 / Fri-Sat-Sun leaving on Monday (you can stay as short or long as you like)
"North of Morro Bay south of Big Sur along gorgeous Pacific Coast Highway"
Cool things to do: Way too much to list.
Reservation Link: www.parks.ca.gov

There are still campsites available for this week end.
Campsite reservations here are a must.
Get in soon before they're all booked up.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK - A few of the cool things to do around San Simeon SP

Hearst Castle San Simeon State Park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51TzseTL2vw
Tours of Hearst Castle need to be booked in advance ($25) it's a few miles from the campground. Access to the castle is by shuttle bus.

Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Colony San Simeon SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_KefgLLggU&feature=related
What a spectacle! - free viewing too.

San Simeon Cove/ William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach & Pier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wTQDjP0v6I&feature=related
Cheap kayak rentals, tide pooling, kelp beds, sea otters, beautiful beach, great fishing off the pier. What more could you want?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Gene the other day. I am booked for May 27 - 30th (3 nights) leaving Monday. If anyone would like to share a site with me fine, there is plenty of room. This will be fun indeed.
I'm in. Ditto on all.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Campin' Fools!

I did not see this thread til now. This was one of the State Parks I took pics at after I left y'all at Cachuma. So I have pics of all the campsites at San Simeon Creek as well as Washburn. Those are the 2 campgrounds at the park.

Post what site # you have reserved and I will post a pic of it.

The pics are not on our website yet.

This is where you are going.

The restrooms have showers.

A creek runs through it.

You can walk to this beach.

Again, let me know what site you're in and I will post a pic.

Happy, Merry, etc.

Greg

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I don't think they assign the spots until you arrive. Hence, we have no info for you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't think they assign the spots until you arrive. Hence, we have no info for you.
Hey Scott, they were supposed to have switched to site specific by now. Slackers! Here is a map of the park:

San Simeon Creek has 3 camping areas. There is an upper loop by the entrance, sites 1-35, a main loop, sites 36-115, and an area by the beach, sites 116-135, which is mainly for tents.

My favorite sites are 24, 25, 38, 47, and 50. The tent area would work as a pseudo group site. Sites 116, 117, 119, 120, and 121 are spread around a separate grassy area:

That would be a cool area for a bunch of E's to set up camp. It is really close to the beach and creek. The only downside is that PCH is nearby.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
great pics greg! makes me want to run up there for a winter weekend, if it ever stops raining. I just checked, they still dont have site specific reservations yet. damn SP budget cuts.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Latest Update:

Just went to the Cal Parks/San Simeon SP web site and (I can't believe it) there is still campsite availablity!

San Simeon SP is one of the nicest coastal campgrounds in California.
It's simply wonderful and there are multitudes of amazing things to do and see there.
If you want to hang out and camp with the cool kids along the coast this Memorial Day Week End,
get off your duffs and make yourself a reservation before somebody else beats you to it.

Life's a Beach!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was about to book a site and I got all confused (again). what type of site did you book ?
The tent only type or the type with a driveway ?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was about to book a site and I got all confused (again). what type of site did you book ?
The tent only type or the type with a driveway ?
Dave, just pick any site.
This campground will assign the site for you (you don't get to choose)
They base their campsite assignment on your vehicle, equipment, tent size and so on.

You will love it.
There's a fantastic beach and fishing pier all within a huge cove with rock faced cliffs and some lovely sea caves.
This is especially great for kayaking and includes off shore kelp beds that you can easily paddle out to and go play with sea otters.

Hearst Castle is behind the beach a few miles inland up on a hill top. You can see it in the distance from the beach.
Hearst Castle Tours can be booked on-line if you feel so inclined. If you've never seen it before it's well worth a visit.

(There are some pics around here in the forum somewhere. I'll find them and post em up for ya.)

·
Banned
412 Posts
San Simeon is beautyriffic.

Sorry I shan't be there - I have a car camping spot at Lightning In A Bottle at Silverado, CA (it's really Lake Irvine reservoir). Four days of beautiful hippie hipster camping 24-hr musical art and bliss. Sign me up.

There are still tkts available, just saying. Lineup is announced March 7th.

Ric

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry I shan't be there - I have a car camping spot at Lightning In A Bottle at Silverado, CA (it's really Lake Irvine reservoir). Four days of beautiful hippie hipster camping 24-hr musical art and bliss. Sign me up.
There are still tkts available, just saying. Lineup is announced March 7th.

Ric
It's times like this when I wish I could be in two places at once.
But I can't. so have a blissful week end frolicing and cavorting about with all the hippies and wizards at the Lightning in a Bottle fest.
We'll keep an eye on the San Simeon elephant seals, sea otters, and perhaps hang with some of the hippies in Big Sur.

But we're still on for the Look Out/ Fire Tower camping binge on the mighty Kern River. WooHoo!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
San Simeon SP/ William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach

Box4Rox and Ferrum waiting for the tide to roll in.
(these kayaks are rented right at the beach and they're trying them on for size.. you can see the rock cliffs along shore on the horizon -
some sweet little sea caves there with kelp beds off the point.

and off they go

The Pier. Very good fishing off this thing. I believe no fishing license is required.
If you look closely at the photo you'll see Box4Rox and Ferrum in thier kayaks - left of pier.
During the 30s and 40s W.R. Hearst would dock here with a boatload of famous Hollywood actors and celebrities. He'd sail them all up from Los Angeles in his yatch.
Once they arrived at the Pier a limo would pick them up and drive them to the castle 5 miles inland where they'de party for days and weeks on end.

·
Registered
593 Posts
We booked a site, currently just Saturday night due to other commitments but may extend it.
I was at this beach about 6 months ago at a memorial service for a high school friend. Very peaceful.
Josh

1 - 20 of 179 Posts