Honda Element Owners Club banner

What would you like to do?

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Sorry, no jdiane at San Simeon this time. Apparently jdiane and E were promised for weed abatement duty at the in-laws that weekend. :-(
But, since jdiane just lost her job at a large book retailer that recently declared bankruptcy, she forsees lots of camping for the summer!

On an up note, the next time you have a wine tasting camping trip at Lake Cachuma, kayaking is now allowed on the Lake :-D, and rental cabins can be had for around $100-200 per night (full kitchen and bath!), reservations accepted through the County Parks website.
Rats!
Weed abatement duty is always a pain in the grass.
Bummer bout your company going BK but I like hearing you'll be available for summer camping treks.
The Mount Shasta summer meet is happening in August. That's gonna be one heck of a good time.. just sayin'

Kayaking is now allowed at Cachuma Lake?
Be still my heart!
It's about time they got around to allowing Kayaks there.
Looks like some extra trips to the lake are now in order. Wine touring too!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
News Flash:

It appears that I was off on the head count. :?

Dylan (Fayhed) called me earlier to inform (warn) us of his impending arrival at San Simeon sometime on Saturday.
He can't make it on Friday as his daughter has a graduation ceremony happeing in Susanville.
However; he'll be at camp on Saturday to partake in the Pot Luck Dinner feast and evening festivities. :jump011:

Dylan informs me that Highway 1 in Big Sur is still closed due to the massive mud slide a few months ago.
I guess a small section of the highway north of the famous Bixby Bridge just up and slid 300 ft down into the ocean. :shock:
Ain't nothing there but air.

If that's the case Bay Area attendees will have to take US 101 south to Paso Robles and cut across Rt. 46 to Cambria and Highway 1.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are we expecting rain during this Camp out ?
It's a tradition that it rains on us during every Camp out we've had for the past 3 years.:twisted:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Long range weather forecasts indicate sunny with cool day time temps in the High 50's and the Lower 50s for overnight.

It's not gonna be toasty "beach weather" but there will be abundant sunshine.
Not ideal for flip flops, swim suits and T's although some of us will be wearing them dispite the cooler temps. :roll:

Fortunately for us there are plenty of things to do around San Simeon than we'll ever have time for.
I for one will fishing off the pier (with Dylan I hope) and maybe catch some rock cod or snag me a kayaker as they pass by under the pier.

The fishin is good here! :grin:

The cool weather and bright sunshine is near perfect for hiking, biking, tide pooling, and the Hearst Castle Tour.
The group feasts are looking really rad too.
We should have lotza fun with that.

Of course we'll be doing a Gag Gift Exchange so be sure to find something kitchy kewl and offensive for that.
Hope to see a Horse Shoe pitching contest going on too - if someone has shooze (Jet) please bring em along.

PS: This is a 3 Day Holiday Week End.
Wouldn't be too surprised to see some unannounced EOC party crashers either.
You never know who might show up. ;-)

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the horseshoe tournament, I have the perfect thing I will bring and donate as the First Prize statuette .....:evil: (insert evil laugh here).....that would be so normal for this group.

:grin:

And we still want to know what this trip's camp drink will be, Gene. C'mon, man.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
For the horseshoe tournament, I have the perfect thing I will bring and donate as the First Prize statuette .....:evil: (insert evil laugh here).....that would be so normal for this group.

:grin:

And we still want to know what this trip's camp drink will be, Gene. C'mon, man.
I have a pretty good idea as to what the First Prize Statuette for the Horseshoe Tournament is going to be. :shock:
Tonya - you're a naughty girl! :razz:

Haven't come up with a camp drink for the trip yet but premium tequila keeps resonating in my brain.. whoa baby! :food005:

My slightly blemished, $29 Cabela Steelbelted Cooler:
that we purchased for the Death Valley camping binge a few months ago has had an accident.
The cooler is OK with no defects; however it didn't get properly cleaned out.
I forgot there was a cooked Rib Eye steak inside, wrapped in foil, floating in two inches of water.
It was sealed inside there for months and now the cooler reeks to high heaven. OMG what a stench! :vomit024:
I've tired for weeks to eliminate the lingering, intense rancid odor with negative results.

So tomorrow I'm heading to R.E.I in Santa Monica for the "real deal" Coleman 54 qt. Steel Belted Cooler.
It's a lot more than the $29 Cabela knock off, but it is the real McCoy and they do have it stock.
It's not easy finding one of these, I went to Target, Big 5, Costco, Sport Chalet and Home Depot with no luck.
Cheers to R.E.I.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just got back from my Horse shoe training / tune-up. My arm is like rubber and about 5" longer.
It now appears that Jeanie has to work Friday but will get off as early as possible and then we'll hit the road. But it's 193.67 miles and although Mapquest says it's 3hr 19min and since we're pulling the trailer @55mph it'll be 4hr 43min. :roll:
What's the check-in /reservation procedure? Are we all in the same area or spread out ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just got back from my Horse shoe training / tune-up. My arm is like rubber and about 5" longer.
It now appears that Jeanie has to work Friday but will get off as early as possible and then we'll hit the road. But it's 193.67 miles and although Mapquest says it's 3hr 19min and since we're pulling the trailer @55mph it'll be 4hr 43min. :roll:
What's the check-in /reservation procedure? Are we all in the same area or spread out ?

We are looking to leave Friday morning after rush hour from Pomona if anyone wants to caravan...we'll be pulling our teardrop.

We reserved in the Washburn upper campground. I think check-in is at 12 noon but just call them if you're getting in late.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
We're hitting the road sometime on Friday.
Richelle has to work. If she's lucky she'll get off early, if not we won't be leaving here until 6:00 PM.

No matter what time it is when we leave we're taking the coast road through Malibu to Camarillo and avoid the freeways getting out of town.

Jet - I've been playing lotz of darts lately and even that gets my shoulder a bit tweeky.. "tossing horseshoes" could put me in traction.
Can't wait!:cheerleader:

·
Banned
412 Posts
Hi Guys:

Sorry I'm going to miss this one but Lightning in a Bottle will have to suffice for me.

FYI, my dodgeball league, the Eagle Rock Yacht Club will be camping up at Cachuma May 10-12. It could be about 30 people, they're all awesome (okay - one is a dick), and Allyson will be bringing another gang back to Babc ock winery for a big barrel tasting on the Saturday afternoon. I may be sitting in with the afternoon patio act at Maverick's Saloon in Santa Ynez (I did this last month and it really worked out!). I'm attending a member bbq at Koehler winery the weekend before and I'm going to ask if everyone I bring on the trip can please taste for free.

We're not getting a group camp site nor are we arriving together so it's a free-for-all - jump in if you like! JDiane should come too!

Ric

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
We are looking to leave Friday morning after rush hour from Pomona if anyone wants to caravan
We're hitting the road sometime on Friday.
Richelle has to work. If she's lucky she'll get off early, if not we won't be leaving here until 6:00 PM.
I want to leave early Fri, but I won't a sure time until Thur PM. =/

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Firewood

Just got through shapening my axe and trimmer.
These dang things were so dull that busting up a cardboard box was challenging.
Now they're so sharp my wife can shave her legs with them!

Seriously - I'm not sure what's available for firewood at camp.
Usually there's firewood for sale at the campground but who knows how good it is?
From previous experience; campground firewood it's soft, smokey when it burns and not very aged.

I would suggest that peeps bring as much firewood locally from home as they can fit in thier E's.
We'll be wanting a campfire big enough to be seen from the space shuttle.

BRING WOOD! :evil:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
Hi Guys:

Sorry I'm going to miss this one but Lightning in a Bottle will have to suffice for me.

FYI, my dodgeball league, the Eagle Rock Yacht Club will be camping up at Cachuma May 10-12. It could be about 30 people, they're all awesome (okay - one is a dick), and Allyson will be bringing another gang back to Babc ock winery for a big barrel tasting on the Saturday afternoon. I may be sitting in with the afternoon patio act at Maverick's Saloon in Santa Ynez (I did this last month and it really worked out!). I'm attending a member bbq at Koehler winery the weekend before and I'm going to ask if everyone I bring on the trip can please taste for free.

We're not getting a group camp site nor are we arriving together so it's a free-for-all - jump in if you like! JDiane should come too!

Ric
Ric - we're gonna miss you and Allybaby.

I assume that dates for camping at Cachuma Lake are June 10 -12.
We'll try and make it.
Got something going on that Sunday afternoon but we want to wine tour and barrel taste and all that other really good stuff.

Now that they've finally opened the big-blue-beautiful lake for kayaking, camping trips to Cachuma Lake will be more frequent.

Cachuma is one of my favorite campgrounds - I love it there!
Another breakfast at Cold Spring Tavern? - Love it there too!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Checking In!

How about you guys stopping in SLO for Dinner. Mel plans to stay over with me the night before the meet and we have plenty of places to stop. What would you like for dinner? I'll suggest places and give directions.
We miss you all. See you soon:)
Marilyn and Teddy!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
Marilyn - we'de enjoy taking you up on the dinner idea but we're still not sure when we'll be leaving on Friday.
You guys should pick a place and time and we'll see if we can make it.

(we like good seafood - Richelle loves Scallops and I like Fish & Chips)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Marilyn, not sure if you were extending the invite to us, but I'm going to be intent on getting to the Campground because I hate pitching a tent in the dark. You are joining us at the Campground aren't you ?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Jet - I've been playing lotz of darts lately and even that gets my shoulder a bit tweeky.. "tossing horseshoes" could put me in traction.
Can't wait!
I've got some Lawn Darts, maybe I should bring those :roll:

101 - 120 of 179 Posts