Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
That is what Jose calls it. I think he just means they Hondata or Ktuner interface and software to program the ECU- That’s what I mean by tuning kit, which is a term that Jose used.

Gio has been very helpful with some advice and turned me on to the boosted elements Facebook group where there is also a pretty good amount of information. Jose and his son have a greed to take on the project, which is exciting. Now that we have done a little bit of research, the ECU for my model and transmission are going to be the biggest hurdle to making it work. I don’t think anyone is completely certain that it will work. It’s always good to try :)
Supercharging the Element with a Merc Racing kit WILL work, and I will be the first to prove it. Initially, I felt pretty alone in my efforts and even a little crazy at times. Nevertheless, I appreciate the support of this community. This is my first build so I have been learning a lot. I did as much 'research' as possible even going back to a 2008 thread where someone supercharged their Element with a CTE kit for reference. However, the CTE kit is different and (as is life) often you don't really know what you are getting into... until you are in it. For my build, relocating the power steering has been our biggest challenge. My team is almost done with creating a custom power steering relocation bracket. Just talked with my tuner today... hopefully we will be on the dyno by next week.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
That exact CT-E supercharger kit complete with custom fabricated power steering pump relocation bracket specific for an Element is actually for sale right now facebook.com/groups/842603549090305/permalink/4396746383675986/

View attachment 207941
I don't have Facebook so I can't see how much the old 2008 CTE kit is listed for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't have Facebook so I can't see how much the old 2008 CTE kit is listed for.
$3500 complete with Hondata KPro and fuel injectors, so about the same as what you paid for the base MercRacing kit before Jose raised his prices (I know you spent additional for fab work, fueling upgrades, and KTuner).

The MP62 blower from the old CT-E/JRSC kits has the same output as your Harrop TVS900
It dyno'ed at 205whp on a K24A4 but has potential up to 350 on a K24A2

For reference, the CT-E kit pending sale is the one from Scott Frazier's build thread:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, should have clarified I want to stick with my Merc setup, I'm in pretty deep at this point. I do have a fondness for that old CTE kit though. That 2008 build was really helpful in inspiring me to set out on my own course... still love looking at it's old build thread through this forum. I was just curious on the price... Sigh... if I was not newly married, and didn't have a baby on the way I would be tempted to buy it simply because I love any Element performance parts, especially a custom set up like that with the custom P/S bracket. Wouldn't mind a K24A2 longblock sitting in my garage either just sitting pretty.

If I went the CTE route, I would go through Merc for their intake manifold and cooling upgrades for that now discontinued CTE kit. We are hopeful my newer Merc setup/ Harrop blower will outperform the CTE kit. Some of the differences in my build (versus the 2008 CTE build) include; Ktuner, a [email protected] intake, 630CC injectors, AEM 340LPH fuel pump, custom Megan Racing header/HF catted downpipe (lot's of fabrication), Injen catback exhaust set up, and both a 3.2 and 3.4 Merc pulley to play with. So fingers crossed we hope to surpass 205 whp.

On a personal note, my wife has basically told me my Element supercharger install will be counted as my 'midlife crisis sports car'. So moving forward, I am going to have to reign in what used to be an unlimited budget for the Element. My (now OUR) Element will likely become a garage queen as I imagine this supercharger will not be helping my gas mileage for a daily work commute (we just moved to the suburbs). My tuner anticipates a loss of two 2mpg... but the temptation to hit that throttle will be outrageous.

I used to not think twice about buying expensive parts, but all that has to change moving forward. Apparently kids really eat up money, oh, and I just became a first time home owner last weekend, so we have a big mortgage now! Yay! Wife is 33 weeks pregnant today and we are having a boy. Not sure if I will ever be able to stop tinkering with my Element... it's just for the first time in my life I will be a Dad... and that will need to become priority. I cant wait to put that car seat in the back of my Element... Is that weird?

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD
36 Posts
I dropped off my Element, with the Acura ECU and Hondata tuner this morning with Jose and Nathan. I’m so excited! They are great people and it is in really good hands. Now that they have seen it, they are pretty stoked about it too. I will keep y’all posted!! First pic of the “before” engine bay. I am having them install a TVS1320 with cooler. That’s a dual battery system with an accessory switch box. Jose says its no problem leaving it

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I dropped off my Element, with the Acura ECU and Hondata tuner this morning with Jose and Nathan. I’m so excited! They are great people and it is in really good hands. Now that they have seen it, they are pretty stoked about it too. I will keep y’all posted!! First pic of the “before” engine bay. I am having them install a TVS1320 with cooler. That’s a dual battery system with an accessory switch box. Jose says its no problem leaving it View attachment 208023
Yeah like I told you before, Jose is solid. I have been emailing back and forth with him about both your build and mine.

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD
36 Posts
I was really hoping more people could chime in on this merc racing k24 supercharger. I am now re-considering my head swap plan since it would be around the same cost. I contacted Jose Mercado at Merc Racing and he thinks the supercharger should work fine on the Element since it is a k head.
I certainly agree, I think the supercharger is going to work on the element but it depends a bit on what year and transmission yours is as to how easy it will be to adapt the ECU. If I remember right, pre-06 MT should be ok. There needs to be a good tuning solution (Ktuner or Hondata) for your ECU that supports forced induction. Mine is an 09 A/T and that makes the tuning very complicated as I understand it.

This community has been fantastic at sharing experience. Jose and his son Nathan have my element in their garage as we speak working on the ECU and the supercharger install

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD
36 Posts
I certainly agree, I think the supercharger is going to work on the element but it depends a bit on what year and transmission yours is as to how easy it will be to adapt the ECU. If I remember right, pre-06 MT should be ok. There needs to be a good tuning solution (Ktuner or Hondata) for your ECU that supports forced induction. Mine is an 09 A/T and that makes the tuning very complicated as I understand it.

This community has been fantastic at sharing experience. Jose and his son Nathan have my element in their garage as we speak working on the ECU and the supercharger install
Check out number 75 in this conversation. Gio posted the ECU compatibility for most years.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
I was really hoping more people could chime in on this merc racing k24 supercharger. I am now re-considering my head swap plan since it would be around the same cost. I contacted Jose Mercado at Merc Racing and he thinks the supercharger should work fine on the Element since it is a k head. I have since been told by one mechanic that it is not a good idea and that my engine rods might not be strong enough. I believe someone recently on our forum based in Canada just turbo boosted his Element and is pushing 350hp on a stock motor. Please share what you all think.
@ Alikaln

You reposted my post (#4 of this thread) from 9 months ago. A lot has happened since then.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just cant see the auto holding up for long on boost.. I see so many people with the "Flashing D" issue where the auto trans is going out on N/A..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I just cant see the auto holding up for long on boost.. I see so many people with the "Flashing D" issue where the auto trans is going out on N/A..
I had a flashing D issue a few years ago. I replaced a sensor switch myself and it went away. I am not going for mega power so my trans should be fine. Have been promised my car will get on the dyno this week. Will keep you all updated. 🤞

Have had a lot on my mind. Wife is now 8.5 months pregnant. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a flashing D issue a few years ago. I replaced a sensor switch myself and it went away. I am not going for mega power so my trans should be fine. Have been promised my car will get on the dyno this week. Will keep you all updated. 🤞

Have had a lot on my mind. Wife is now 8.5 months pregnant. :rolleyes:
Congrats on the baby!
Cant wait to see the numbers!~

·
Registered
108 Posts
Howdy Gents,

AWD, have been lurking and reading this with great interest. Thanks for the information and best of luck and vibes for your upcoming birth. Both the boy and your E, hahaha

So, I have been studying up here and there on boost. I have come to the conclusion I'm not interested in turbo really at all, because while I drive like the lead car in a presidential motorcade (fast but steady) I have no use for power that is all in the higher rpm range.

I'm looking for low-mid to high mid power for pulling hills and mountains with a load, whether it's stuff in my E or pulling a trailer. So think 2000 to 6000 ish.... I do want it to be predictable too.

It's my understanding that superchargers can be good for this kind of boost. As I wrote elsewhere, I bought a JDM K24A (a2 usa) TSX engine with rbb-3 head. I know it has more power, but I'm guessing where it shines is on the high end, which is cool but won't help for hauling.

I'm not cheep, but I'm a diy guy. I'm comfortable with my skills to install the SC myself, so I'm leaning towards using a salvage eaton or aisin unit. I prefer not to have it directly mounted to intake, as the sizing of the SC (I have read) is more important - as in, what do you do with excess boost with that set up? Using a setup where the airbox is connected to the SC, and the output can be ducted the throttle body, gives an opportunity to blow off unused boost. (not the most efficient use of the parasitic load, but more tunable? Dunno)

So what size supercharger? Like I said, I don't want to have to rev like crazy to get the boost. But I also want to retain some fuel economy.

Been looking at common Eaton M90 and M62, which are 90 cubic inches(1.48 liters) and 62 cubic inches(1.02 liters), respectively.

What sort of performance would I be looking at with these SCs? And what sort of boost?

Thanks lads, this is exciting.

CM

·
Registered
910 Posts
$3500 complete with Hondata KPro and fuel injectors, so about the same as what you paid for the base MercRacing kit before Jose raised his prices (I know you spent additional for fab work, fueling upgrades, and KTuner).

The MP62 blower from the old CT-E/JRSC kits has the same output as your Harrop TVS900
It dyno'ed at 205whp on a K24A4 but has potential up to 350 on a K24A2

For reference, the CT-E kit pending sale is the one from Scott Frazier's build thread:

View attachment 208008
View attachment 208009
Love this wide flat torque curve

81 - 100 of 114 Posts