Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Ok everyone,

Finally some news on my build. My tuner and good friend Jorge stepped in and created a power steering relocation bracket today. Next steps are putting everything back together, finding the right belt, testing the idle, and hitting the dyno.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

So wanted to provide an update on my build. The long and short of it is... that the mechanic I believed was a fabricator (was not really a fabricator) got in over his head on this build. It's not entirely his fault as we all assumed the merc racing power steering relocation bracket I had purchased would relocate the power steering and this build would be easy. However, after initially pledging to build a custom bracket the mechanic then proceeded to drag his feet, stop communicating with me, and eventually quit on the build. Since I live hours away in Houston and my car is in San Antonio this process has been quite stressful to say the least.

Thankfully, my tuner and worthy friend Jorge stepped in, and in four hours built a custom power steering relocation bracket (pics in last post) and got my car into more capable hands with a different mechanic moving forward. After many lame excuses from former mechanic (and my car just sitting for months) we are finally back on track for this merc racing upgrade. This has been my first ever build. I have learned a lot so far. Not just about boosting/ the racing world... Yes, I have invested a ton of money on this Element build but there is an emotional component also.... will speak more to that in another post. Right now, I just want my Element back, I really miss driving it.

Since this whole dream started I have gotten married, become a step father to a 6 year old, and soon on 04/27 my wife will be giving birth to our son via C-section. So y'all please send positive energy my way. Hopefully I will be able to give you dyno results soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Anyone know a good source for 7-rib belts for a custom set up like this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Vibes Sent AWD, keep on truckin'. Man, you do have your hands full. I'm sure it's all going to work out, it sounds like you have taken some of the hard steps.

It's looking really nice! I can't wait to hear your feedback on this setup.

Since I read this thread a few months back I now have a JDM K24A RBB3 in my garage, and I bought an Eaton M112 supercharger from a Jaguar XJR. Not sure where this is all headed! I always tend to leap before I look, and I'm wondering if what I really want for my car is more likely to come from another K24A4. In that, better breathing heads are not always better for torque, and well, when I bought the JDM I wasn't planning on a supercharger - and now I realize that lower comp may be better. The M112 is bigger than I wanted, but the M90s that have a smaller "scoop" outlet (like the Ford SC) are hard to come by. I'm not looking for top end necessarily, so if I have to detune it with a bigger pulley that's not a big deal.

Anyway, when you have time and some more experience we'll be psyched to hear how it works. One question, assuming the supercharger itself is an Eaton, what is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Vibes Sent AWD, keep on truckin'. Man, you do have your hands full. I'm sure it's all going to work out, it sounds like you have taken some of the hard steps.

It's looking really nice! I can't wait to hear your feedback on this setup.

Since I read this thread a few months back I now have a JDM K24A RBB3 in my garage, and I bought an Eaton M112 supercharger from a Jaguar XJR. Not sure where this is all headed! I always tend to leap before I look, and I'm wondering if what I really want for my car is more likely to come from another K24A4. In that, better breathing heads are not always better for torque, and well, when I bought the JDM I wasn't planning on a supercharger - and now I realize that lower comp may be better. The M112 is bigger than I wanted, but the M90s that have a smaller "scoop" outlet (like the Ford SC) are hard to come by. I'm not looking for top end necessarily, so if I have to detune it with a bigger pulley that's not a big deal.

Anyway, when you have time and some more experience we'll be psyched to hear how it works. One question, assuming the supercharger itself is an Eaton, what is it?

Thanks
My supercharger is not an Eaton. My blower is a TVS900 Harrop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My supercharger is not an Eaton. My blower is a TVS900 Harrop.
Technically it is an Eaton. Eaton manufactures and hold the patents for the Twin Vortices Series (aka TVS) rotor packs that are inside Harrop outer housing cases. Same thing with superchargers having a Magnuson/Roush/Edelbrock outer case...Eaton makes the internals. Supercharger distributors | Locator | How to buy | Eaton

TVS900 = Eaton generation 6 w/ 4-lobe rotors
M112 = Eaton generation 4 or 5 w/ 3-lobe rotors

The advantage of the TVS900 is that it will be more efficient than older generations (more power for its size, less heat generated while doing so) and that MercRacing makes a bolt-on manifold for K-series Honda. Most importantly MercRacing also makes the adapter plate to make the blower mount to the manifold. In the past Jose Mercado chose Magnuson head units for the blower but, due to difficulties with them as a supplier, he switched to Harrop in 2019.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Technically it is an Eaton. Eaton manufactures and hold the patents for the Twin Vortices Series (aka TVS) rotor packs that are inside Harrop outer housing cases. Same thing with superchargers having a Magnuson/Roush/Edelbrock outer case...Eaton makes the internals. Supercharger distributors | Locator | How to buy | Eaton

TVS900 = Eaton generation 6 w/ 4-lobe rotors
M112 = Eaton generation 4 or 5 w/ 3-lobe rotors

The advantage of the TVS900 is that it will be more efficient than older generations (more power for its size, less heat generated while doing so) and that MercRacing makes a bolt-on manifold for K-series Honda. Most importantly MercRacing also makes the adapter plate to make the blower mount to the manifold. In the past Jose Mercado chose Magnuson head units for the blower but, due to difficulties with them as a supplier, he switched to Harrop in 2019.
Gio, can you confirm whether my TVS blower comes pre-oiled?

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD
36 Posts
Hey gang,

So wanted to provide an update on my build. The long and short of it is... that the mechanic I believed was a fabricator (was not really a fabricator) got in over his head on this build. It's not entirely his fault as we all assumed the merc racing power steering relocation bracket I had purchased would relocate the power steering and this build would be easy. However, after initially pledging to build a custom bracket the mechanic then proceeded to drag his feet, stop communicating with me, and eventually quit on the build. Since I live hours away in Houston and my car is in San Antonio this process has been quite stressful to say the least.

Thankfully, my tuner and worthy friend Jorge stepped in, and in four hours built a custom power steering relocation bracket (pics in last post) and got my car into more capable hands with a different mechanic moving forward. After many lame excuses from former mechanic (and my car just sitting for months) we are finally back on track for this merc racing upgrade. This has been my first ever build. I have learned a lot so far. Not just about boosting/ the racing world... Yes, I have invested a ton of money on this Element build but there is an emotional component also.... will speak more to that in another post. Right now, I just want my Element back, I really miss driving it.

Since this whole dream started I have gotten married, become a step father to a 6 year old, and soon on 04/27 my wife will be giving birth to our son via C-section. So y'all please send positive energy my way. Hopefully I will be able to give you dyno results soon.
So glad its progressing AWD! The pics are awesome! Jose and Nate still have mine. They are working on the wiring harness for the ECU which will need some customization. Once we get that figured out, on to the Supercharger. Believe me, I know how long these things can take. When I first started my build, the off-road/overlanding shop had it for a total of like 3 months, now the SC install...but it will be worth it. Good luck with all your changes!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
So as explained in previous posts my Element has changed hands during this build and the new mechanic has been trying to pick up the pieces. The latest challenge (as explained to me) is that when my Element starts it is not connecting with the OEM 05 ECU. My car has electricity (lights work, extra) and my ECU has been tested separately and boots up fine. My new mechanic has tested all the fuses and now suspects some sort of bad relay/ wiring issue...

See video link below. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
poly-v and...micro-v
These are just marketing terms specific to different manufacturers. If it is 7-ribs and for the same type of application (i.e. accessory drive belt) then it should work, assuming of course your length measurement is correct

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
These are just marketing terms specific to different manufacturers. If it is 7-ribs and for the same type of application (i.e. accessory drive belt) then it should work, assuming of course your length measurement is correct
Thanks Gio. I talked with my tuner last night and have since ordered a Dayco 7-rib bet that should hopefuly fit well. We are still dealing with this ECU issue unfortunately. :unsure:

101 - 114 of 114 Posts