Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my vehicle, there was a gaping hole in the ceiling where the dome light had been. Apparently the previous owners had installed (then removed) a dvd player and cut a 4.5x6.5 hole. The problem is, I don't think the stock light fixture would fit anymore. Does anyone have any ideas as to a mod or solution? I'm not really keen on the idea of putting another dvd player in since I hardly ever have anyone in the back and would never watch it. HELP!
:|

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you're handy with a needle, you could possibly find a fabric that goes well with the headliner, and create some kind of insert using the fabric, some foam, and fabric glue. Maybe install the stock dome light in the middle of the insert?

I would go so far as to install LEDs in the dome light fixture that match the fabric you chose :razz:

Other than that, buying the DVD player sounds logical, yet expensive. Especially if you don't have kids that will be sitting in the back watching it all the time.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
cut a piece of plastic close to the color you need. Like from a cheep rubbermaid container you can get from home depot, to cover the hole and use a new dome light to hold it in place. Just a thought.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If i was in your position i'd hit the local salvage with flyers and tell the employees as soon as a E comes in call me. Then i'd go take everything i needed to fix my roof (they should call ASAP to avoid weather reaching the interior by chance). Maybe my idea isnt the most feesable but my stomach would churn each time i saw my dome light if i did a ghetto fix.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
So as I understand it, the problem is that the PO cut a larger hole into the headliner, right?

So, what I would do is remove the headliner, by that I mean not just the fabric but the semi-flexible board the fabric is mounted to. Likely multiple interior panels would need to be removed to do this, but it's doable.

Once it's out, peel the fabric off and discard. (save one samll piece, you'll see why later)

Lay the panel down on a flat surface and cut a repair panel from something about the same thickness as the original board, even a heavy cardboard can work for this, just find something semi-rigid kinda like the original board. If you want to reinstall the original domelight, you'll need to cut a hole for that inside the new repair piece.

Now epoxy or (better) fiberglass that repair in place form the "back" side. Your goal here is a smooth surface on the side where your will be reglueing fabric

Now head down to a fabric store or an upholstery shop and buy the headliner material, take a piece of your old fabric as a sample for thickness.

Using the correct headliner adhesive (3M makes a really good product) glue the new material to the repaired board. Numerous tutorials online on how to do this, it's a little tricky to get smooth, but the Elements headliner doesn't seem like a real challenging one. I did a Volvo 740 Wagon years ago, now that was a challenge!

Reinstall, and enjoy your new "done right dome light" repair. For me, anything short of this would bug me everytime I say it. Be aware, this a full weekend's worth of work here. Not the easy way by far.:|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts