Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone gone with the HydroEdge tires on the SC? They look like great tires to replace the Goodyears. They are #2 in ranking on TireRack. Price isn't too bad at $149 each, especially with a $70 rebate when you buy a set of four. They have a very high hydroplaning/wet weather and treadwear rating. Anyone have these and want to give some feedback. I tried search, but there's a lot to sift through.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tirerack rankings are worthless

How many of the folks ranking the tire have a clue about tires and tire performance?

Maybe one out of every 200 or so. If you don't have any experience driving around a wet skidpad you shouldn't be rating tires!

Diapers maybe, dishwashers yep, BOBs if thats what you prefer.

Fred

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put a set of these on another brand of SUV for my parents.

So far, so good. I worried that with such a high treadwear grade (800) they would be too stiff to ride well, but that is not the case.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Anyone gone with the HydroEdge tires on the SC? They look like great tires to replace the Goodyears. They are #2 in ranking on TireRack. Price isn't too bad at $149 each, especially with a $70 rebate when you buy a set of four. They have a very high hydroplaning/wet weather and treadwear rating. Anyone have these and want to give some feedback. I tried search, but there's a lot to sift through.
Not an SC, but close, and even in Galaxy Grey...

And Yes I have Hydroedges on all four of our Hondas, no problem whatsoever. Good ride, good tracking, low noise, and 90,000mile wear...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not an SC, but close, and even in Galaxy Grey...

And Yes I have Hydroedges on all four of our Hondas, no problem whatsoever. Good ride, good tracking, low noise, and 90,000mile wear...
That's good to hear. Damn, 800 treadwear! I didn't realize that. I have never seen a tire with that high a rating.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How many of the folks ranking the tire have a clue about tires and tire performance?

Maybe one out of every 200 or so. If you don't have any experience driving around a wet skidpad you shouldn't be rating tires!

Diapers maybe, dishwashers yep, BOBs if thats what you prefer.

Fred
I don't meet Fred's qualifications, Nor do I have a set on my "E", but I have zero complaints with the HydroEdges on my Impala.

For what it's worth (probably very little),

·
Registered
64 Posts
My roommate has a set of Hydroedges on her 05 CRV EX manual and they are pretty close to awesome. They go through rain and puddles like they weren't even there (I've driven it down the GSP in NJ at 90 mph on the straight sections and didn't feel a hint of it about to hydroplane), handle the dry pavement pretty decently and they get through snow pretty well for all seasons too. She's had them for about 2 years now and there is still plenty of tread left to go atleast another 2 (probably more now that she only has to drive 2 miles to work lol). They will definitely be the next tires to go on my E :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, what size hydroedges are you guys using? I have a 2007 element EX with goodyear p215 70 R16. the tire dealers say they don't make that size in the hydroedge. any help would be appreciated.
thanks, Tinman

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

·
12,180 Posts
Hi all, what size hydroedges are you guys using? I have a 2007 element EX with goodyear p215 70 R16. the tire dealers say they don't make that size in the hydroedge. any help would be appreciated.
thanks, Tinman

The other members using the Hydroedge have P225/55R18.

I just took a look in my Michelin books and they do not have the Hydroedge in the P215/70R16 listed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
other suggestions

thanks.... given that they don't make the hydroedge for the P215, any suggestions that would give me the same performance, especially in water, and would look good on a Kiwi green elsement.
thanks,

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
thanks.... given that they don't make the hydroedge for the P215, any suggestions that would give me the same performance, especially in water, and would look good on a Kiwi green elsement.
thanks,
This is the Michelin Hydroedge on mama's '05 CR-V with stock alloys, Costco mounted...

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just as a side note I tried to have HydroEdges installed on my old Civic at two different Sam's Clubs. I was turned away by both because the speed rating was lower than what was specified as original equipment.

After researching, I noticed that in general HydroEdges have lower speed ratings than other tires the same size (maybe because of the harder rubber compound used for longer treadlife?)

Not that the Element will ever do over 90 mph, but this is just my experience.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Just as a side note I tried to have HydroEdges installed on my old Civic at two different Sam's Clubs. I was turned away by both because the speed rating was lower than what was specified as original equipment.

After researching, I noticed that in general HydroEdges have lower speed ratings than other tires the same size (maybe because of the harder rubber compound used for longer treadlife?)

Not that the Element will ever do over 90 mph, but this is just my experience.
Interesting.....

I have traveled at speeds in excess of 120 mph with the Hydroedges mounted on our '99 Ody. The Element has not traveled more than ~100 mph for short spurts... The '91 Accord is locked out at 115 mph...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hydroedge on SC

Hello,

For those of you running Hydroedges on the 18 inch SC rim, can you get the factory size, and when you run the SC on a non-SC Element, are you comprimising the accuracy of the speedo, or are the SC and Non-SC Elements running the same diameter wheel?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hello,

For those of you running Hydroedges on the 18 inch SC rim, can you get the factory size, and when you run the SC on a non-SC Element, are you comprimising the accuracy of the speedo, or are the SC and Non-SC Elements running the same diameter wheel?

Thanks,
Yes, the circumference is equal... I am running Hydroedges on my 18' SC wheels... Costco mounted Hydroedges on all 4 of my Hondas... See my sig

·
Registered
523 Posts
As an update to this discussion, I recently had a flat with these tires. When I tried to order a new one at Discount Tire, they do not have any in stock at any stores nationwide. Going on to Michelin.com, the tire is not available in the size anymore. Time for me to search around the site for the newly recommended tires. By being in AZ, I have no use for a rain tire!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Michelin Hydroedge

The Michelin Hydroedge is #1 on my list for the next tire on my SC. I won't have a need for many months so Michelin will have time to get some to the US. If not, my alternate tire is the Primacy MXV4. I have had MXV4s on several cars and they perform well.

As always, YMMV. Bibendum says `hi`.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
I went with the Falken ziex 912, getting them tomorrow.

The Michelin Hydroedge is #1 on my list for the next tire on my SC. If not, my alternate tire is the Primacy MXV4. I have had MXV4s on several cars and they perform well.
:lol::lol::lol: They are "back-ordered" too!

(for your sake hopefully they start making them again, but they have no set date to make any tire in that size. Weird isn't it?)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hydroedges are still on backorder. Noticed also, that several other sizes for the tire are as well. Bummer, looked like a good tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts