Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I was and there is a pile of choices and prices, as an ex saab owner before my E I always appreciated Michelin tires. So I bought the Michelin LTX.

Mounted, Free life time balanced, Free life time rotation,, new valve stems, and tire disposal for 135 each. I know that sounds like a lot but let me tell you my element now drives incredible nicer, corners nice and is very very quiet. I guess you get what you pay for.

Now comes the good part; My friend noticed the tires and said he had the same ones on his Nissan xtera, he bought them at the same place ( costco) has them rotated /balanced 4-5 times a year, he has owned Lite trucks all his life and said the LTX is the best handleing, traction and wear tire out there. He told me he now has over 80,000 miles on them- he figures he has another 15-20 thousand more.

so when shopping for tires- cut to the chase and my suggestion is spend more on these michelins and enjoy them twice maybe 3 times as long. I just replaced the originals with 31,000 on them- they were down to the wear bars

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The Michelin corporation was one of the reasons we went to war in Vietnam. Just throwing that out there. They do make a great tire.

·
Registered
541 Posts
ehiney said:
well I was and there is a pile of choices and prices, as an ex saab owner before my E I always appreciated Michelin tires. So I bought the Michelin LTX.

Mounted, Free life time balanced, Free life time rotation,, new valve stems, and tire disposal for 135 each. I know that sounds like a lot but let me tell you my element now drives incredible nicer, corners nice and is very very quiet. I guess you get what you pay for.

Now comes the good part; My friend noticed the tires and said he had the same ones on his Nissan xtera, he bought them at the same place ( costco) has them rotated /balanced 4-5 times a year, he has owned Lite trucks all his life and said the LTX is the best handleing, traction and wear tire out there. He told me he now has over 80,000 miles on them- he figures he has another 15-20 thousand more.

so when shopping for tires- cut to the chase and my suggestion is spend more on these michelins and enjoy them twice maybe 3 times as long. I just replaced the originals with 31,000 on them- they were down to the wear bars
What size did you go with?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'm so glad to hear this.I'm ditching those terrible Goodyears after my snows come off in the spring and the LTX's are going on.Thanks for the post.Ive always sworn by my Michelins.Smooth,quiet and quality tires.:-D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the 215/16 stock models, like I said if your considering buying new tires and factoring in the time of life- i.e. mileage these work out the same or cheaper than other tires that you may only get 35-45K out of.

My wife has had the michelin X radial on her minivan and she is over 80K and we are not changing them out for this winter in Maine.

what some people don't realise is to make a great tire there are 3 componants. Rubber compound, tread and sipes and side wall, these 3 componants enhance the sound, traction & wear and road feel. With a possible exception you don't get all three on $60-80 tires. I say that with 30 years experience.

The secret to long life is to keep the proper air pressure- this is also good for gas mileage, rotating them ever 4-5000 miles, and keep them balanced. Although Michelin tires are historically perfectly round from the factory- unlike some of the other brands out there- particularily goodrich, goodyear and uniroyal.

I have found Yokahama to be resonable priced but can ride a little harsh and noisey at intermediat speeds. ( 45-60) andgenerally last 1/2 to 2/3 the life of michelins.

The michelins are really quiet and the E seems to glide more rather than slow down so fast. I can't wait for winter and snow.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gibroni said:
The Michelin corporation was one of the reasons we went to war in Vietnam. Just throwing that out there. They do make a great tire.

Really, please support FACTS of this. Having been around during the Vietnam war this is the very first I have heard of such a claim.

I can't wait to hear. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
My only complaint about the LTX would have to be the white lettering.It looks a little goofy to me.Is it possible to turn this lettering to the inside or is it on both sides?:-?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just got my new Michelin LTX m/s this week and the diifference is amazing.My E seems to corner and handle much better.The roadnoise is almost non-existent,very quiet,very smooth.These tires have a long tread life and seem to stick very well in rain.Im very pleased to have Michelins back on my ride.They are quality tires and i just put that goofy white lettering to the inside.Yay for the #1 selling light truck tire!:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
mid"E" said:
My only complaint about the LTX would have to be the white lettering.It looks a little goofy to me.Is it possible to turn this lettering to the inside or is it on both sides?:-?
Yes. I have these tires on a '03 Nissan Frontier and the white lettering is inside. Great tires. That truck came stock with General Grabbers which are worse than the Goodyear Wranglers on the E. They were out of round when I got the truck. The dealer replaced them for free with the Michelin LTX. We had about 50k miles on them when my daughter somehow blew out a couple of them. :confused: I kept the good two for spares and bought four more. They could have easily made it to 80k miles with the amount of tread they had left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I just got some Michelin LTX but I went up in tire width to a 225/70 R16 on the recommendation of several tire guys and people I trust with automobiles. I do alot of highway driving so I put these beauties to the test and I gained an extra gallon in gas. My gas light does't come on to I get about 275 miles instead of the 245 - 250 with those terrible Goodyear OE Tires. The ride is way better and quieter! I recommend these tires and I also recommend the change in width.

Peace.

ehiney said:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good choice with Michelin LTXs. I've had them on many vehicles, love the ultra-long durability, and will probably use a set for summers when I replace my OEM GYs. But they are no good at all in snow, IMHO they may meet 'all-season' standards, but you'll need your snow chains to get to the ski hill.

·
Registered
208 Posts
danteblue-e said:
I agree with you 100%. I just got some Michelin LTX but I went up in tire width to a 225/70 R16 on the recommendation of several tire guys and people I trust with automobiles. I do alot of highway driving so I put these beauties to the test and I gained an extra gallon in gas. My gas light does't come on to I get about 275 miles instead of the 245 - 250 with those terrible Goodyear OE Tires. The ride is way better and quieter! I recommend these tires and I also recommend the change in width.
LOL! Mine did just the opposite. I routinely got 300 miles to a tank before the light went on with my GY's and with the LTX's it's now 275 miles.

Funny,

·
Registered
70 Posts
cdubea said:
LOL! Mine did just the opposite. I routinely got 300 miles to a tank before the light went on with my GY's and with the LTX's it's now 275 miles.

Funny,
I'm surprised with that too. My wife got a nail through an unrepairable part on one of the Wranglers at 14,500 miles. I DID NOT want to replace it with another Wrangler so we bought 4 LTXs from Costco. It was a little over $600 OTD. The ride is way better, it handles better and it is much quieter. You can't go wrong with these tires. They should last at least 60k miles.

I have a 5 speed manual and got about 25 mpg on the first two tanks with these. The low-fuel light came on at about 300 miles today and was doing it at 330. I also got the 225/70 16 size.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Put the Geolanders on my kid's car after she got ~34k miles on the Badyears. I'll be doing the same. Here in California, even with the M-S tire rating, and AWD, you must carry tire chains (cables) with you in snow conditions. In the real world, I drove my 94 Accord through snow drifts and other less snowy conditions on stock tires without chains installed and made it through conditions that saw several 4x4's stuck in ditches on the side of the road. If I had done that kind of driving on a regular basis, I would have properly equipped the car for those conditions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i just drone through lots of snow in colorado witht he ltx without chains and had no problems at all.

i had heard that you aren't supposed to use chains with awd.

·
Registered
529 Posts
kyote321 said:
i just drone through lots of snow in colorado witht he ltx without chains and had no problems at all.

i had heard that you aren't supposed to use chains with awd.
I just got back from our unplowed new subdivision (supposed to close next week) and had no trouble not that I expected any on my new LTX's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well i have had the goodyears on my element for over 40,000 miles. I bought my element used with 36,000 miles, didnt change tires but now in the rochester weather and already having one pretty bad experience in only 5 inches of snow and other scary hydroplaneing experiences, i bought the ltx and put them on today.

I have to say the whitewall is really ugly and would probably get dirty fast. but its nice michelin has the blackwall on the other side so you can choose.

As soon as the element was dropped and i was out to get oil changed i could feel the smoothness, much less noise and vibration, and theres a subtle extra go feeling when i touch the gas, you can feel the extra grip, very nice.

Now to see how much milege i get and how it really does in snow, ice, rain, etc. so far, its great for dry roads.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts