Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

First time user. I have a 2WD 2005 Element with about 90,000 miles. Yesterday I filled up my tank and started driving. About 20 minutes later the car lurched, and I started to coast, with the gas pedal doing nothing. The malfunction indicator lamp went on.
I pulled into a gas station and took off the gas cap and put it back on (with about 20 clicks!)
I then got on the highway but the problems didn't end. I found if I accelerated too quickly or if I got above 70MPH (I had to get on the highway) the same lurching happened and the gas pedal stopped working. When I hit 70MPH, it wouldn't let me do anything until I drifted down to 60MPH. It happend the same way every time I got to 70MPH.
So I stayed on cruise control at 65 for the remainder of the trip with no problems except for when I was almost home and I accelerated too fast from a red light and it lurched again.
What is goinig on here?
Please help, fourth of July weekend and I'd like to feel safe driving the car, obviously staying under 70 and trying not to accelerate too quickly.
Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
Is the MIL blinking? or steady on?

Do not deem it safe. I wouldn´t keep driving until knowing what is wrong. Get a computer connected and pull the malfunction code out. that would be the first step. almost any part store can do it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have hade the same problem...The first time, I took it to the dealership and they said it was a sensor that was bad due to lack of oil in the car....About $400. The second time I took it to MY honda guy and he said it might be the same thing. He replaced the sensor from another Engine and kept the Truck for a day. Anyway, it still had the same problem but he drained the oil and put the old sensor back in. After a couple of days with the corredt amount of oil in the car, the sensor finally reset itself and has been fine since. And it only cost me $15.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I read about a million posts about what the malfunction indicator lamp could mean, but none mentioned anything like what happened. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I'll get the oil looked at first thing Tuesday and hope that is the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts