Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been monitoring the mileage on my E for the past six fill-ups (2100MILES on odometer). The mileage has actually been going DOWN instead of up! And it hasn't gotten anywhere NEAR the sticker figures of "21-27MPG". AT last count I was getting 16.5 MPG (and that was mostly highway-without A/C) I took it to the dealer and they suggested re-testing the mileage according to their instructions which were to drive at 20 MPH for 30 miles and then re-fill the tank. It's just not possible to drive 20 MPH here in Florida! Anyway, wondered if anyone else is having mileage issues??? I am hoping it's just a factor of the low mileage and will change when it has it's first service but the dealer didn't suggest that would cure the problem. I have a friend with an Expedition who is getting better mileage with her A/C on all the time! HELP! :!:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My first few tanks were in the 12 range. But I was using my remote start because it was damn cold. The first tank without using the remote was 15 my last tank was 18. I am a little worried because the truck is a month and a have old with about 1400 miles on it. However, most of my driving is short trips. ( I have 7 min commute) This week I am taking a road trip so I will get a better picture of my current milleage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very unscientific, but full-tank to full-tank, my E (4WD EX Auto) was doing 23.3mpg during the break in period. Mixed driving but mostly highway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been getting around 24mpg mixed for my 2WD 5SPD. I have 3500 miles on the car right now. You may want to check the tightness of the brakes, there could be excess drag that's eating up your gas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
23-24 mpg - 5 spd - ex - rush hour stop & go traffic - a/c running. Just hit 1100 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That seems pretty low. I am getting around 24mpg mostly city driving in my 5spd fwd. On a recent road trip to Florida I got 25mpg going 75-80mph. When on 2 lane highways only going 60-65 I got 28mpg. The 20mph for 30miles sounds ridiculous. Keep bugging the dealer if it doesn’t improve. Good luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
24-26 mpg 5sp EX stop/go commute, mixed city/hiway, 1800 mi.

Gotta love the 5-speed, much more fun and better fuel economy.

peace,
jdef

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hank,

What is your commute like? Your driving style? Are you driving the auto or stick? :?:

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's in an unrelated post, but...

I have 800+ miles now. Since tank #1 I've been getting 19-20 mpg with mixed driving, mostly city. A/C usually on, EX 4WD automatic.

If it's unrelated to your driving style or terrain, sounds like something's out of whack. Suggest to your dealer they plug into the engine computer & check all settings like fuel mixture, timing, or whatever.

Any dealer can handle this if yours isn't willing. A warranty is a warranty, no matter where you bought it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
3/06/03 19.49 mpg
3/13/03 20.24 mpg
3/19/03 20.17 mpg
3/24/03 20.89 mpg
3/28/03 22.50 mpg
4/01/03 26.43 mpg
4/01/03 28.83 mpg

average = 22.65 mpg
Total miles: 1769
Total road miles: 542 (30.64% of total)

I keep my stats on a spreadsheet (if you couldn't tell!). The two fill ups on 4/01 were from a trip to San Antonio and back (from Dallas). Drove down there on the 28th, had a moderate tail wind, no a/c. Filled up on the 1st for the drive home and hit the freeway with a monster tail/quarter wind, no a/c.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought our Element two weeks ago and we love it. On our second tank of gas we drove to Williamsburg, a 300 mile trip one way and made it on one tank. That figures 28 miles per gallon. We are quite happy with this. I should add that its automatic, 4WD and I ran the A/C for part of the trip too. The trip back came in at 24 miles per gallon since we took some side trips. I'm sure this will vary with my wife since she tends to drive more agressively than I. I accerlerate much slower than she does.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 4wd EX and have had it about a month. I am only averaging 19MPG. Only one fill-up I calculated 20MPH. I would love to hit 24MPH. I am sad :cry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
returned 24.7 MPG... No complaints here, it handily beat the 4 banger in my old Toyota PreRunner, which only got 21-22 MPG on the highway.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use mine for business, travel 235 miles per day and consistantly get between 26 & 28 mpg. Its a 2wd, auto with no air on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did a road trip up to Austin & then back to Houston. Used cruise control - 5-7 mph over speed limit with ac set at coldest and the fan set to just above the middle indicator and got 27.1 mgp. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! (Great club this!). I am now getting 20MPG. (I have a 2wd automatic). I am not an aggressive "pedal to the metal" driver. I am in Florida so at least half of the time my A/C was on and the driving is mixed hwy. and traffic. This is lower than the advertised mileage. Planning a trip to the dealer to see if they can remedy this. Keep the posts CLEAN and FRIENDLY everyone! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have had my SOP EX 5spd 2wd for 5 weeks now... just turned 2100 miles. Last check of the mileage was 24.80mpg. That is 95% freeway driving w/ AC on. Not too bad as it seems higher than most.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts