Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2005 Element after trading in a 2004 Accord. Both stick shift. The Accord got 32 MPG at any freeway speed, while the Element does well to get 25 MPG.

The answer is in the gearing, not the engine as they are both the same. The gear ration is significantly lower in the Element than the Accord. Seldom did my Accord reach 3,000 RPM's in 5th gear at any speed up to 80 MPH.

My Element hits 4,000 RPM's at 7 MPH.

So obviously it's in the gearing "Silly". But the advantages of the Element over the Accord (which is a wonderful machine) are many. Think about it.

Tom Gerber

·
Registered
575 Posts
And the Accord is not the basic shape of a toaster.
Very true. They changed the gearing in later models. My 08 is no where near 4k on the highway.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
you also have an Auto transmission. The manuals rev much higher at highway speeds.

There is always the 6sp mod if you are interested in reducing your revs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mileage

Glad to hear you corroborate my findings, and glad to hear that gearing has been changed in later models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mileage

To: Scorsone,

Good point, which suspected, but wasn't sure of. In the old days stick shifters always got a bit better mileage.

Tom Gerber

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think for the most part the better mileage for MT still holds true as long as you drive with the intention of getting better mileage. Sometimes the manual gives it a car that more sporty feel and begs for a little harder driving though.;-)

Lately I have been getting 23 mpg in the city which is a personal best for me. My highway mileage does not get much better because of aerodynamics and my cruising speeds.

If you are interested look into the 6speed conversion thread. People have been getting pretty good results with mileage increases with the extra gear. I am waiting for the funds and the timing to do it. I figure it is best to have it done when my clutch needs to be replaced to cut down on the cost a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts