Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
apparently the mini cooper people have been reading the EOC: sliding rear seats, optional 3 person rear seats, 6 spd manual tranny. And, hello, it looks hotter than the E, and shorter. ;-) Maybe now Honda will listen... :roll:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The deal killer for me is, and has always been the Lucas electric, Electrical system.

It is, and always has been, the worst in the industry.

I did love racing the original Cooper S Though.

Dom

·
Registered
536 Posts
Lucas Electrics

Dom..I concur. Lucas electricals are bad dodo.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dom..I concur. Lucas electricals are bad dodo.
That's ancient history - having owned both an Austin America (bad Lucas) and a MINI Cooper (good Lucas), and known lots of MINI Cooper owners - very few electrical problems (lots of other mechanical/engineering problems-but electrics all good.)

Thing about the MINI Cooper is it is a PREMIUM small car (Premium meaning premium price $$$ - that crossover is going to be in the high $30K to low $40K range when equipped at all - base price supposed to be around $30K), and for the cost, MINI Coopers just do not stand up mechanically. There is a reason you get 2 years free service and free service loaner cars when you buy a MINI Cooper - you're going to need them. I don't know a MINI owner who hasn't had their car in the shop 3 or 4 time a year for "problems". :|

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
That's ancient history - having owned both an Austin America (bad Lucas) and a MINI Cooper (good Lucas), and known lots of MINI Cooper owners - very few electrical problems (lots of other mechanical/engineering problems-but electrics all good.)

Thing about the MINI Cooper is it is a PREMIUM small car (Premium meaning premium price $$$ - that crossover is going to be in the high $30K to low $40K range when equipped at all - base price supposed to be around $30K), and for the cost, MINI Coopers just do not stand up mechanically. There is a reason you get 2 years free service and free service loaner cars when you buy a MINI Cooper - you're going to need them. I don't know a MINI owner who hasn't had their car in the shop 3 or 4 time a year for "problems". :|

This forum has some people that disagree with your assessment of the Electrical system. It's not the only forum that has had complaints of the connectors going bad. I see this at the race track as well. The owners often complain of gremlins eating the connector contacts. The mechanical issues are well documented in almost all the forums.
I thought they fixed the shock tower failure issue. From this mornings research, I find I was wrong.

Dom

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
This forum has some people that disagree with your assessment of the Electrical system. It's not the only forum that has had complaints of the connectors going bad. I see this at the race track as well. The owners often complain of gremlins eating the connector contacts. The mechanical issues are well documented in almost all the forums.
I thought they fixed the shock tower failure issue. From this mornings research, I find I was wrong.

Dom
Good to know - with no one in the local MINI Club complaining (much) about electrical - seemed like it was not an issue - shows research is always needed. :oops:

Yeah, the shock towers remain an issue, as does the "death-rattle" cold-start issues, engine failure issues, transmission issues, clutch issues, sun-roof seals/drain leaks, melting hood scoop, etc. There is a reason the MINI appears near the bottom of the J.D. Powers rankings in quality and reliability :|

·
Registered
590 Posts
they leak water like a sieve... fill with water and the main connector in the drivers side kick panel is almost $400 wholesale in wire terminals and connectors. 42 pins of fun and excitement, ask me how i know.... next to go is the passenger side which houses the PCM which also fills with water as well. not very impressed with them at all after working on a few of them.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Sorry doryman!

It was not my intention to be a wet blanket. I was only pointing to the issues I have encountered with the car.

We Honda owners get lulled to sleep by the reliability. We often fail to consider the fact that other brands have, ( what we consider ) issues with simple things, we take for granted.

Look around this forum. We have people complaining about no heated seats, Rear view mirror, no leather seats, lacking this or that. Other forums have issues with starting, Engine failure, electrical component failure, leaking, front end alignment, transmission failure, and a host of other problems.

It serves to remind me of why I went with Honda in the first place!

Dom

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
my neighbor has a Mini S, has had nothing but elelctrical problems with hers

I'll take a GMC Granite over this

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, the shock towers remain an issue, as does the "death-rattle" cold-start issues, engine failure issues, transmission issues, clutch issues, sun-roof seals/drain leaks, melting hood scoop, etc. There is a reason the MINI appears near the bottom of the J.D. Powers rankings in quality and reliability :|[/QUOTE]

On my 07 Cooper the windows started rolling down on their own after only six months from new. Some owners found their cars soaking wet or full of snow, after parking outside overnight. Imagine the suspense when going through the carwash. :shock:
Needless to say I traded mine after only having the car for little over a year.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
On my 07 Cooper the windows started rolling down on their own after only six months from new. Some owners found their cars soaking wet or full of snow, after parking outside overnight. Imagine the suspense when going through the carwash. :shock:
Needless to say I traded mine after only having the car for little over a year.
I forgot about that one - electrical gremlin that liked to roll down windows in the middle of night....:grin:

Yeah, I traded my '04 in before it reached the "just out of warranty" point where a lot of transmissions were self-destructing (who builds a tranny only good for 65,000 miles???). Didn't want that $7K repair bill, and went Honda. No regrets at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts