Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 Ex AWD MT with 102kmi. Have run seafoam direct in the Vacuum tube(3months ago) as well as in the gas and ice heat in the gas w/in last 4 tanks.. New NGK plugs at 100k...

Noticed rough idle when stopping at lights but not all the time... Would get really bad if I touched the gas to move up slightly and then let off. The RPM's look abnormaly low at these times and then the idle drops .25krpms below 1k and the motor hunts. Sometimes the check light then flashes repeatedly. I even have seen the lights dim ever so slightly.

Initial reaction was battery may be bad as my cold starts have been taking multiple turn overs. But CCA's on a 5 deg day were 10 under spec for the battery. Altinator is showing 14.05VTs when running so thats not bad.

Second thought was coil on Cyl 1 not work working properly. I disconnected the coil it didn't drastically change the idle or sound. So think better swap with coil #3.. I do this and then it runs the same. I unplug coil 1 no change I unplug 3 and it really is rough now. Ok so its not coils and there isnt oil in or on the coil or plug in cyl # 1 and the plug looks fine nice light brown. I also put a spare plug into the coil and let it round to the top of the engine to check for spark it looked fine.

Third thought is it must be the Fuel Injector. Pull the cover and individually unplug leads to injectors. Cyl 1 sound drops slightly slightly more then when i pull the #1 coil lead off... but not anything like when I pull 2-4 injector leads.

So I'm thinking its a fouled injector. I dont have my compression tester and i'm going to do a resistance check when I get home. If its an injector should i be replacing all or just 1?

Any other thoughts would be helpful!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Misfire on one or more cylinders is a classic sign of a badly needed valve adjustment. If you wait too long it will burn the valve. Should be less than $200.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Keep in mind that seafoam will foul the spark plugs, too. It's usually recommended to run it sparingly or only when you plan to switch out the plugs. But agreed, if you haven't done a valve adjustment then this is the time to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the resistance test was 10.2-4 for all 4 so looks like its valve time.. so is the consensous that they are tight and not letting either o2 and fuel or exhaust out? I think that because disconnecting the injector and coil on only the number 1cly didn't make a difference but did on the other cylinders means that it's tight and not likely to be injector and coil at the same time.. also listening to exhaust out sounds poppy like a fwap fwap fwap and obviously only firing on the cyl. When I adjust valves do I have to get to operating temp first? It's cold here don't want to screw out up..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yea the resistance test was 10.2-4 for all 4 so looks like its valve time.. so is the consensous that they are tight and not letting either o2 and fuel or exhaust out? I think that because disconnecting the injector and coil on only the number 1cly didn't make a difference but did on the other cylinders means that it's tight and not likely to be injector and coil at the same time.. also listening to exhaust out sounds poppy like a fwap fwap fwap and obviously only firing on the cyl. When I adjust valves do I have to get to operating temp first? It's cold here don't want to screw out up..
Should be fine without warming up the engine, usually tolerances like that are meant for when the engine is cold. Otherwise mechanics would have lots of burns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At what position do you do the exhaust valves? TDC. Or Bdc? If it is BDC is there a pattern if cyl 1 is TDC Cly 3 is BDC etc? I dont have the book and wanted to double check before I tackle..

·
Registered
13 Posts
similar problem

Last October, I brought my 05 Element (4cyl, auto trans) @162k to the local Honda dealer for rough idling; " problem not found". I went back to dealer a week later when the service engine light came on, problem was "arcing". Drove home with same rough idling, at stop lights, reverse, etc. Went back to dealer a week later , "needs new catalytic convertor" and the car passed the NH state inspection. The next day I informed a service rep. that the car was still running rough, hesitating upon acceleration - I was told this was due to "new convertor, problem would correct itself". I drove home but I went away for three weeks and did not run the car. Last week @169k, my Element was running like crap, serious shuddering, poor mileage, lasts week I asked for a 4th appointment and today on the way the dealership, the shuddering was worse (even after warming up) and service engine warning light was blinking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"another" coil

Thank you, though I have had regular maintenance done @ dealership since it had 79K when I bought my 05 Element, I should look at my old reports to see if that has been done. This time I have been informed the problem was another coil...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem Not solved with Valve Adjustment

So I adjusted the Valves to Spec .009 Int and .012 Ex. Started up and ran like a champ. Took out for a short spin and came back to it running rough again... Whats the next steps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: cyl 1 compression test 82psi and cyl 3 is at 150... Looks like valve is cracked How much will this cost at a stealer-ship? Should I look for a used head and just swap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts