Honda Element Owners Club banner

mobil 1 in local Walmart

7K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  sandiegotaylor 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to find Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic in my local Walmart (been to 3 different stores) here in San Diego for the past few weeks, they were all out of 5 qt 5w-20s jugs as well as 1 qt bottles...however plenty of 10w-30s. Anyone experiencing the same situation? For now, I am using Castrol Synthetic.....I guess at $22/5qt for the Mobil 1, people are just buying them at mass quantities......

#4 ·
I'm useing the cartrol edge in my E, I used mobile 1 in my montaro by 105000 the engine wasent sounding to good.I think they are living off thier 20+ year old rep, with no improvements,castrol does a lot of r&d ,as does lucas oil products. edge was only 28 for 5 qt. I dont know how much $ I wasted on mobile ! but it was way to much.

#5 ·
Yep, I run into that all the time. 5W-20 is the most popular of the synthetics and Walmart is the cheapest.
On a side note my buddy tests oils, stay away from the Quaker state no matter how cheap it is. It breaks down funny and has a ton of parafin in it.

#7 ·
I have used the 5-20 Super synth since my first oil change on the E, good stuff.

At our local Mall-Wart, they were out of the 5-20 for a month..... so I got after the store manager and low and behold they claimed to have 3 left shown in their system. This was a problem because still showing 3 creates a "no order" status. If it always seems like they are out of stock, ASK! Ever since that, it's been there when I need it.

Good luck!

#9 · (Edited)
Yep, I'm serious and until responses come from people who have spent time and years working in a shop seeing what others "may have pitty da fool" I don't really care what any response is. Point blank the oil sucks compared to other leading brands. It leaves a orange sludge inside the engine and eventually begins to flake off like slick 50 teflon does after 50k. The only "fools" who recommend either brand work at autozone or shop there.

#11 ·
:lol:

You don't need to pull valve covers to check for varnish. Here are my engine valvetrains on the 3 cars I run synthetic on. I always use the cheapest synthetic and have no brand loyalty. About the only constant is Mobil 1 oil filters and oil change intervals of ~6 months...

Acura TL w/ 47k miles:

JDM Integra Type R motor w/ unknown mileage:

Honda Element w/ 80k miles.

#10 ·
I use moble 1 5w20, but I don't get it at Walmart I get it at Advanced Auto, they usuly have a deal bye 5 qrt of moble 1 5w 30 and a moble 1 filter for 25$pls tax. I alwase use moble 1 in ALL my vehicles, but to each thair own.

#16 ·
I'm not a mechanic or have a great wealth of knowledge on oils, but if a company such as Pennzoil advertises an oil to be full synthetic and even offers extensive technical data on their websites to back it, how can that possibly be a lie?

http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_5W-20.asp

http://valvoline.com/pdf/SynPower.pdf

All the numbers are slightly different but are in very close proximity to each other compared to their conventional counterparts..

#17 ·
They meet certain API standards of oil quality and therefor qualify to list the product as a synthetic. There are only 2-3 true synthetics on the market. Mobile1 (which is a good oil), Castrol (pretty sure on this one), and Amzoil. If there are more I would be all ears. You can find many bottles labeled synthetic in any automotive section but all you need to apply this label to your oil is again to meet certain standards. If this has changed in the past 3 years I wouldn't mind being corrected but as of 05-06 I know this was fact.

Sad thing is a lot of supertech oil is true synthetic but you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it since the distribution scheme of walmart has supertech oil manufactured by the nearest major distro to the region. If I am not mistake the west coast boys and girls have really good oil behind that blue jug at walmart.

#18 ·
I am still uncertain about castrol but it's base conventional and higher end oils are decent. Try reading this article from amzoil on amzoil and mobil1 being true lab made oils while the rest are cheaper reformulated stock oils made into synthetics with additives and special processing. Took me a while to remember who was publishing the articles on real synthetic vs the sort of synthetics. I would imagine the new castrol edge is the first step for castrol in the right direction while it also explains the higher price since it's real.

http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php

#19 ·
I always buy the oil when it is on sale so you don't have to go searching. I just bought Valvoline Synpower 5w 20 for $3.99 a quart. This was time to stock up.

As for the "Synthetic" debate, the Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Penzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower, among others, are classified as "Synthetics" due to the refining of the petrol base stock. A true man made synthetic does not cost $4 or $5 a quart. That said, I firmly believe these oils are of better quality than the regular Dino oils, IMO. I change mine at 5,000 miles and WILL not let it go beyond that. I will spend $25.00 on a oil change, that I do myself, at that point instead of going another few thousand miles. Its cheap and a nice peace of mind. Also, I only use Honda A01 or Wix filters. Nothing else.

I have not heard anything good about Quaker State in quite some time. Penzoil here and there at times, but never Quaker State. Its Mobil, Castrol or Valvoline for me.

#20 ·
same with costco only 5w-30 =( and I havent seen any mobil 1 5w 20 in any of the sd walmarts either...does target sell oil?

#24 ·
don't know how this post got off topic debating which oil brand is better....lol...its all right......

Since I only found Castrol Syntec on the shelf at Wal-mart, so I will be using that for now....until I see Mobil 1 resurfaces again, then I will stock a few in my garage....

SDtaylor, if I find any mobil 1 5w-20s, I will let you know :lol::lol:

#25 ·
Engine Oil

I don't know what subject is debated more in this forum, oil or batteries. I can only comment on the results I have had with the Penzoil Synthetic 5W20 oil. I have had no issues with it. The inside of my engine is super clean and I attribute that to 3500 to 4K oil and filter changes. I use the Honda AO1 filter and have never had a problem. I concur with the quality of the wax based Quaker State products. I witnessed several engine teardowns where the oil returns were plugged with sludge. I would not use Quaker State products in my lawn mower. I am also aware that sludge can be caused by driving habits as well. i.e. driving short distances before the engine actually warms up to burn off the internal contaminates.
I guess I will have to do some research on weather or not the Penzoil is really a true synthetic.

#32 ·
just got back from the walmart by frys. they had about 10 1 quart bottles of 5w 20!! an it was like 6.50 a bottle!

#37 ·
just picked on 5 qt jug for 22 bucks at the same walmart went back and they just stocked them!!! i think there is one or 2 left!

#39 ·
Some things make no sense at all

I'd been buying Penzoil Platinum instead of Mobil 1 because Walmart never had enough Mobil 1 on hand when I needed it. (As frequently as I change the oil, I don't worry about the source of the organic materials used to synthesize it.)

We got a discounted Sams Club membership last year, and the first thing I noticed was that they had cases of Mobil 1 5W20 in stock in quarts while the Walmart shelves were empty, and the price was slightly lower than Walmart's Penzoil Platinum price, so I'm switching back.

#40 ·
castrol edge is 26 hear in fl. I used mobil for 8 years & the moter was dead by 100000 miles(mitsubishi v6 ) so I dont & wont use it any longer,I think wallmart brand would be better than that stuff, so I have gone back to castroal never a problem with it or kendall,but kendall has been bought & sold somany times I dont know what it is any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.