Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, these are the 2 oils I am down to. Most of what I can find online makes me lean towards the Amsoil but then again most of what I can find is on an Amsoil site or the site of someone related to the company. The cold hard numbers look better for the Amsoil. What are the experiences of the folks here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used both and they're both excellent. You're not going to have any oil related problems with Synthetic ... the only complaint about synthetic - some say it's overkill. Don't change it out at 3,000 miles either, that's just throwing your money away.

Latest testing reveals conventional oil can go 10,000 miles with no ill effects.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have used Mobil 1 since the 60's in all vehicles I have owned. More recently I became an Amsoil dealer for the convenience of having it shipped to my garage. I have never had an engine that began to use oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i wouldnt worry about which oil you choose. i use amsoil most of the time, but when my local dealer runs out, i switch to mobil1.. no sweat. as for other driveline components, i have a few other favorites.

oh, and use the oem blue filters.. stay away from fram. you dont have to spend the extra $$ on the mobil1/k&n/upscale filters either unless you've recently have performed a rebuild.

anyone try using a magnetic drain plug yet? i'll check to see if the spoon magnetic drain plugs fit in the element during the first oil change. i have a few different sets lying around in my toolbox right now, but i wont be changing the oil for another 5k miles.

even though my cars have all gone synthetic after the first 10k miles, i still change the oil religiously @ 3k miles. on my bike, the motor oil gets changed every 500 miles, on the s2000 every 2000 miles or after every track day, and on the accord every 3k miles. tranny fluid gets swapped every 8k (stay away from redline), and rear diff fluid (amsoil/mobil1/redline - only if its before a track event) gets swapped every other oil change - unless a trackday when everything is flushed.

overkill? yeah probably.. but i have over 300k miles on my 90 accord, and she doesnt burn any oil at all! :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just took my mini-hummer in for her first service at 3,200 and some miles. Asked about synthetic oil for her and the tech kinda shot it down saying WHY? Honda oil is best for it due to it's low viscosity, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda. Then after the service, they put a tag on the window reminding me when the next oil chage is due and on the tag is an ad for Castrol synthetic and synthetic-blend oil for your car! What gives? I wonder if at my dealership if they the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing?

Ger

·
Registered
43 Posts
[quote:1e89e7df84="Ger Brassfield"]Just took my mini-hummer in for her first service at 3,200 and some miles. Asked about synthetic oil for her and the tech kinda shot it down saying WHY? Honda oil is best for it due to it's low viscosity, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda. Then after the service, they put a tag on the window reminding me when the next oil chage is due and on the tag is an ad for Castrol synthetic and synthetic-blend oil for your car! What gives? I wonder if at my dealership if they the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing?

Ger[/quote:1e89e7df84]

It's probably a good idea to wait until at least 7,500-10,000 to switch to synthetic. The rings are still sealing, and the synthetic may be too slippery to allow the "break-in" to properly take place.

HTH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts