Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pick of my mobile theater. Pretty lame isn't it!

I am looking for ideas on how to create a cheap platform to rest the laptop on. If it could be used while driving for back seat passengers that would be an added bonus. I know all about the great laptop mounts that cost between $150 and $250. I am looking for something that can be used as a temporary solution. My thoughts were to design something that could hang between the seats from the headrest of build some type of platform that fits around the console. With the front seats forward you have lots of room to watch your favorite movie.

Plugging the laptop into the AUX connector works great. While parked in the garage I even get high speed Internet access. I now have another place to hide when I get in trouble with the wife! :D

- CK

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
id like to have a good place to put my laptop also... then i have a place to watch dvds, play games, or do anything while camping in my E. Let me know if you find anything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:075ca5f17b="ERider"]Why not try velcro on the bottom of your laptop.[/quote:075ca5f17b]

What am I going to velcro it to? I agree if I made some type of table that wouldn't flip the velcro would hold it nicely. Most likely this will be a non-moving enhancement anyway. Of course it can always site in a passengers lap.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How about something like this... I imagine it made from wood, but weight might be a problem...

I've got another solution in the works... standby...

--

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote:282d9fd102="Alien Element"]How about something like this... I imagine it made from wood, but weight might be a problem...

I've got another solution in the works... standby...
[/quote:282d9fd102]

Looks good, keep it coming. I guess the only issue is if the seats are reclined in different positions. This would only occur while driving. I was trying to think of something with straps to the headrest. Why didn't they just build a fold down table into the seats like the airline seats!

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
looks like an idea that may work but i think something more flexible would be better also so when ur camping you can lean front seats forward. Still a better idea than I came up with though LOL

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check this out. It looks good. The only thing I am thinking is that it isn't deep enough. This is kinda what I was thinking about building but trying to fit it between the seats.

I am going to call the manufacturer tomorrow to try to get pricing.

Here's one from Case Logic for $20

http://www.casedirect.com Search Automotive Organizers

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I agree they do look shallow. Also may want to ask what the weight limit is on those. Thanks for posting any info you find I managed to find 0 ideas but if i do ill let you know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am onto a great idea. Hopefully I will have a proto-type by the weekend. Best of all it could work in the back and the front! I will post pics when I have something.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you have the "armrest with storage" :?: Looks like your laptop can fit snug between the seats. Just sit it on top of the armrest. That's what I did with mine. I will try to post a pic later this evening.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I said I was going to do this by the weekend. I got it done today.

I plan on making one that will sit between the seats as well. On our first trial run it worked great. No slipping in the turns.

The mono pole is similar to a leg from a tri-pod. In these pictures the front seat is full forward. However, it also works well with the seat fully back.

As I have time I will enhance this. I plan on constructing the entire thing in metal with an improved telescoping pole and hinge design.

What do you think?

·
Registered
914 Posts
looks good! But what are you using if for? Will it be used while in motion? or is it for when you're just sitting in the E? I'd like to see the middle one too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote:7c055b2adb="Hawaiian E"]looks good! But what are you using if for? Will it be used while in motion? or is it for when you're just sitting in the E? I'd like to see the middle one too.[/quote:7c055b2adb]

I will use it mostly for when we are camping if we want to watch a movie or actually do some work. It works fine while driving. The main purpose would be for entertainment while on road trips. Secondary benefit would be if I need to work from my car while on the road. Kinda like working on an airplane. Third benefit would be a nice table to have for eating. I plan on making it a fold down model so it could remain attached.

- CK

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote:8ed97b41c1="stimpn8r"]Try Mitocorp.com They don't make one for E's yet, but I'm sure you can mod one to fit.[/quote:8ed97b41c1]

Yikes! $99? They are making a killing on that. Nice concept and it is clean but it seems like you could make your own very easily for much less.

Thanks for the link,
CK

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are the brackets from Mito Corp just to be used with the Panasonic DVD player shown in the pictures :?: If so, then you have to buy a DVD player too. Most laptops are probably too wide to fit between the seats. What about making a bracket that mounts where the armrest mounts in the seat :?: Just a bracket with a tray to set your laptop on right behind the seats level with the armrest :?: And make the tray detachable so when I am not using my laptop as a DVD player the tray won't be in the way. Oh yeah, and don't charge $99 for a piece of metal. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote:1532d1a86a="ExpressElement"]Rough (very rough) drawing...would it work :?:
[/quote:1532d1a86a]

Build it and find out! It seems like it would work if there is a good place to anchor it to the armrest. I wanted to have the laptop higher up so the screen was more at eye level. I think there could be a variety of solutions.

- CK

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a engineer that does work for "wireless" companies. I travel to alot of present and future cell sites. I bought a GPS and GPS software which came out to be under $300. I hook my GPS receiver to my laptop and use my laptop as a navigation system as many times I am only given lats & longs for a site. I was going to buy a laptop station for my Element as I was tired of it slipping around my front seat. One day however it slid over and landed in between driver and front pasenger seat. I pushed it down and to my surprise it fit perfectly bewteen the seats. Both seats have a little ledge that hold it up. I know it is not safe to drive with any type of screen that can distract the driver, but I try and be as safe as possible. Believe me, it has helped out immensly at night when I am trying to find a site or when I am drive testing a site.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts