Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my previous '05 Element, I added GM cup holders to the subwoofer cover, and added a minivan console to the car (links in my sig).

I recently upgraded to a 2010 EX, did the cupholder mod, but decided to do something different for a console.

The EX cooler/console is big enough, but I hate having to dig to find the stuff I need, which is usually money, pen, or maybe advil.

So I decided to add a removable tray to hold those things.

I found a GM part that I liked, part number 19154713, actually a sister part to the cupholder I mounted to the subwoofer.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgm+19154713.TRS0&_nkw=gm+19154713&_sacat=0

The GM part is actually two plastic parts glued together. I just needed the inner part, so I cut the bottom open and then broke the two pieces apart.

(continued)

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
On the inside of the GM part I clipped off the CD holder ribs. One top flange on the part is wider than the other, I cut it to be about as wide as the other.

Since the Honda console is designed as a cooler, the lid fits very tightly, so you can't add another part on top of the inside ledge.

So I added a lower ledge. I bought a 36" x 3/4" x 1/16" aluminum strip from a hardware store. This is an extruded strip, so the edges are not sharp.

I cut two pieces about 11 1/2" long, and attached them inside the Honda cooler. I used six 10-32 stainless steel countersunk screws with nylok nuts underneath. If I was doing it again, I'd use 8-32 screws, the #10's are a pretty tight fit.

(continued)

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very nice I need this for the SC

·
Registered
38 Posts
You definetly have the Macgiver genes for sure. Now if its not too much bother, can you come up with a way to remove and re-insert easily the little tray on the left side of the dash next to your left knee. I need a change holder, but using that tray and trying to pull out any change always leads to a floor full of nickels and dimes. All my other rides had easily removable ash trays that you could pull out and actually look into to get the correct change. I know I could buy a 2 dollar change holder that fits into a cup holder, but what fun is that? I want to modify whats original into something more efficient.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
You definetly have the Macgiver genes for sure. Now if its not too much bother, can you come up with a way to remove and re-insert easily the little tray on the left side of the dash next to your left knee. I need a change holder, but using that tray and trying to pull out any change always leads to a floor full of nickels and dimes. All my other rides had easily removable ash trays that you could pull out and actually look into to get the correct change. I know I could buy a 2 dollar change holder that fits into a cup holder, but what fun is that? I want to modify whats original into something more efficient.
understanding you want something more "custom" but this is what I use, easy to grab and take in the store getting rid of that change so it doesn't accumulate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts