Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, first time caller.
Got my 2003 EX 4 about months ago or so, I've trying to get serious about a camper conversion that doesn't alter the interior in any permanent/relevant way. I'm wondering if anyone on here has info or experience with Element camper furniture that utilizes the exiting seat/seatbelt hardware.
The Fifth Element Camping folks seem to have it down, or there's a long dead thread associated with this picture:

There are lots of pictures of clever systems like this, I haven't found anything specific on how people are suspending huge cabinets and stuff on the existing car hardware. Does anyone have Fifth Element gear or anything similar that relies on the seat attachments? Pictures?Ideas? Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am receiving my Fifth Element system within the next few weeks after waiting > 1 year. I can take pics and answer questions then. What do you want to see specifically?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am receiving my Fifth Element system within the next few weeks after waiting > 1 year. I can take pics and answer questions then. What do you want to see specifically?
Oh good gracious, you are the best. I want to see the backside of the cabinet and bed mostly, curious how specialized the mount system is and what other attachment points the cabinet relies on. I suppose my next big curiosity is what the interior of the bench looks like, basically whatever important structural or mechanical features I can't see in the images on their website.
Thanks a bunch. Congrats on finally getting your hands on one, I would definitely be s**ting myself with anticipation.
Best.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I finally received my system yesterday. I can't take pictures at the moment (and I do want to respect Fifth Element's seeming unwillingness to publish details), but I will describe how it works and if you really need pictures then PM me.

I want to see the backside of the cabinet and bed mostly, curious how specialized the mount system is and what other attachment points the cabinet relies on. I suppose my next big curiosity is what the interior of the bench looks like, basically whatever important structural or mechanical features I can't see in the images on their website.
Mount system is not obscenely specialized. Cabinet has a separate piece of plywood that has cutouts for the three seat latching points on the bottom and a groove on the top. The piece fits securely on the seat latches and the cabinet fits into the groove on the top. There are two straps inside the top of the cabinet that attach to the handle and the top of the seat belt. The bench works the same way except the part that fits into the seat latching points is permanently part of the bench.

The interior of the bench is open. Nothing there but the seat you sit on when in bench mode. If you pull out the seat to make the second bed then there is nothing underneath it.

The biggest surprise is that many of the pieces utilize magnetic latches to keep things from rattling. For example, the backrest folds down to make the bed and it "snaps" with magnets. Anything that folds or unfolds uses magnets and it's the coolest thing ever.

im most curious about how the driver side storage piece attaches to the wall
Answered above, but in short, a block goes where the seat attaches. Cabinet sits on the block and attaches with straps to the handle and seatbelt thingy up top.

The build quality is amazing and after receiving it I'm convinced that it is definitely not overpriced. The design and refinement is fantastic. Customer support has been unbelievable and I'm now a huge fan of Nick and his work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It’s useful. My plan is to use it as a desk when in bench mode. I’m 6’2” and it’s a little cramped so I can’t imagine working for hours back there but maybe 30-60 minutes at a time.

Would you all like a video walkthrough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't take pictures at the moment (and I do want to respect Fifth Element's seeming unwillingness to publish details)
This (and the insanely long lead time) is the reason I didn’t buy his system. Nowhere have I seen an in-depth review or video of the system to the point where I would be comfortable spending thousands of dollars, so I built my own.

Would you all like a video walkthrough?
yes please!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm curious of the weight of the Fifth Element set? Anyone weighted it?
From their FAQ:

164lbs for a complete system. Removing the Camp Kitchen & Sideboard (38lbs) brings the Systems weight to 127lbs. This is what we usually have in our Element on a daily basis. The rest of the Components; Bed/Bench (43lbs), Storage Cabinet & Desktop (34lbs), Camp Kitchen & Sideboard (38lbs), Center Console (16lbs), Rear Storage Boxes (16lbs), Front Seat Platforms (20lbs). The original Honda Element rear seats are 43lbs each. Removing both will net you 86lbs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see everyone with a full time build .. I did a part time build with it laying it the back to open up when I wanted it

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
107 Posts
I did my best to reverse engineer a Fifth Element Camping cabinet after studying all the photos I could find. It's not exact. I did make some changes that I personally found to be more beneficial. For instance, I made the small compartment accessible from the inside instead of outside. The idea at the time was to have two small "tables" that fold down on both sides of the cabinet. I ended up scrapping the idea but might revisit it later. I was also going to have the lower drop-down compartments found on Fifth Element's cabinet -- had the wood cut and everything -- but later decided I could use that empty space to put the folding mattress, solar batter, and other things which you'll notice in the photo below.

About those mounting points... I've got a progress thread over in the "Greetings & Introductions" section where I detail just about everything I've done to my Element since day 1. I use a turnbuckle to attach the top of the cabinet to the Element's grab handle. The turnbuckle then allows me to pull the cabinet against the side of the interior. I had plans to somehow attach another turnbuckle to the Element's upper seat belt anchor but I wasn't sure how to do that. The bottom of the cabinet rests in the factory seat mount. There is a solid oak 1x4 which you can kind of see at the bottom. The seat mount has 3/4" wide channel so that 1x4 (3/4" common thickness) fits inside that channel perfectly. All you need to do is make a few well-placed cuts in order to clear certain things on the seat mount.

So that's how I did it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did my best to reverse engineer a Fifth Element Camping cabinet after studying all the photos I could find. It's not exact. I did make some changes that I personally found to be more beneficial. For instance, I made the small compartment accessible from the inside instead of outside. The idea at the time was to have two small "tables" that fold down on both sides of the cabinet. I ended up scrapping the idea but might revisit it later. I was also going to have the lower drop-down compartments found on Fifth Element's cabinet -- had the wood cut and everything -- but later decided I could use that empty space to put the folding mattress, solar batter, and other things which you'll notice in the photo below.

About those mounting points... I've got a progress thread over in the "Greetings & Introductions" section where I detail just about everything I've done to my Element since day 1. I use a turnbuckle to attach the top of the cabinet to the Element's grab handle. The turnbuckle then allows me to pull the cabinet against the side of the interior. I had plans to somehow attach another turnbuckle to the Element's upper seat belt anchor but I wasn't sure how to do that. The bottom of the cabinet rests in the factory seat mount. There is a solid oak 1x4 which you can kind of see at the bottom. The seat mount has 3/4" wide channel so that 1x4 (3/4" common thickness) fits inside that channel perfectly. All you need to do is make a few well-placed cuts in order to clear certain things on the seat mount.

So that's how I did it.

View attachment 203481
Well done! My problem right now is having the space and tools to work on projects like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts