Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a slow interior leak in my 2005 EX for a while apparently, and the insulation between the passenger's feet and the engine compartment has been saturated for who knows how long. I haven't found much in the way of instructions on how to replace it, or even what that part might be called, but I'd really rather there be as little active mold in the car as possible.

I'll get the leak sorted out, but what do folks usually do for the moldy insulation problem? As best I can tell I'd have to remove the dash and the entire AC blower motor assembly to get back there, which I'm not looking forward to. As a short term solution I'm considering taking a utility knife to this thing and hacking off the soaked bottom half.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Moktarino! :)

My first guess is that the drain in your A/C evaporator housing is plugged. I haven't heard about this happening too regularly with Elements, but it is a possibility. And it's an easy first item to check out. Always start with the simple fixes!

Just by removing the glove box and the cabin air filters, since they take up a lot of the space under the passenger side dashboard, should give you some good access to remove most of the wet insulation.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,631 Posts
When we have water leaks, and we have at least 1 or 2 a week. We remove the carpet and replace, after removing the seats. But E's have a rubber mat clean so clean and dry. Remove the jute and throw away. New jute is available just trim to size or shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hrm, I pulled out my filters, but it didn't seem like it would help. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hrm, I pulled out my filters, but it didn't seem like it would help. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

View attachment 204439 View attachment 204440
I have replaced my insulation down there a few times over the years and it is always wet on both sides! I don't understand why. A few weeks ago I tore it apart for soundproofing. Each time I go in, I tear out the wet insulation and hit everything with a hairdryer then I reinsulate it myself by cutting new insulation to fit. I have used yoga mats, carpet, and most recently sound deadening adhesive material as a base. So back to what I was saying. Since it was raining, I decided to stop and return to my task the next day. So I repositioned the carpeting as best I could back to normal and closed the door. I checked on it the next day and there was NEW water down there. I had not run the engine, and this was too much water to simply be condensation. Yes, it was dry before I closed the door. No, my windows do not leak. So I am at a loss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have replaced my insulation down there a few times over the years and it is always wet on both sides! I don't understand why. A few weeks ago I tore it apart for soundproofing. Each time I go in, I tear out the wet insulation and hit everything with a hairdryer then I reinsulate it myself by cutting new insulation to fit. I have used yoga mats, carpet, and most recently sound deadening adhesive material as a base. So back to what I was saying. Since it was raining, I decided to stop and return to my task the next day. So I repositioned the carpeting as best I could back to normal and closed the door. I checked on it the next day and there was NEW water down there. I had not run the engine, and this was too much water to simply be condensation. Yes, it was dry before I closed the door. No, my windows do not leak. So I am at a loss.
In my case the nut holding my XM radio antenna onto the roof came loose and I suspect that's where my water is coming from. I'm putting a solar panel up there and since I don't use satellite radio I'm planning on running the cables through that hole, sealing it in the process. I've also read that there are a few body drain lines that get clogged, so I plan on sorting those out as well.

I've resigned myself to leaving the mildewy stuff there as replacing the rubberized firewall insulation panel is out of my scope for the moment. Right now I'm trying to get it fully dried out by wicking the moisture away with a small stack of papers towels and open windows while it's nice and warm out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The firewall insulation rubber backing material got soft from the heat today, and I was able to pull it back enough to get a better look at things. Turns out it's some kind of grey open-cell foam under the tough rubber-like skin.. The water damage was all in the bottom bit, so I peeled the rubber-like backing from the rotted foam, ripped the foam off about halfway up, and threw it away! Might be a few dB's gain from not having it there, but I'll accept that over having a mildew-generator in my nano-camper!

I've got a fan on it now to dry up the lingering moisture, then I can reassemble my Element! Whoohoo!

·
Registered
515 Posts
The firewall insulation rubber backing material got soft from the heat today, and I was able to pull it back enough to get a better look at things. Turns out it's some kind of grey open-cell foam under the tough rubber-like skin.. The water damage was all in the bottom bit, so I peeled the rubber-like backing from the rotted foam, ripped the foam off about halfway up, and threw it away! Might be a few dB's gain from not having it there, but I'll accept that over having a mildew-generator in my nano-camper!

I've got a fan on it now to dry up the lingering moisture, then I can reassemble my Element! Whoohoo!
Nice, I have torn out the same insulation. Are you confident you have found the source of the water leak? Please help me understand how the rear XM antenna could cause water to leak into the front floor. Have you considered pouring water over the windshield hood cowl prior to putting everything back together? I am planning on going back in and doing this test soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I park on a tilted incline, the right front of the car is the lowest point. I figured the water came in from the loose antenna and pooled there. It's possible I'm wrong, I'll check it again before I put it all back together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts