Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a few complaints of a moldy smell to my Honda dealer fell of deaf ears I took it upon myself to get to the bottom of the problem. Today I pulled the flooring out of the front of my 2003 Element. Guess what I found? You guessed it MOLD! The sound deadening material attached to the underside of the flooring holds water which helps to grow mold (see the attached photos)

How does the water get under there? Well people in northern states where it snows from November 1st right through March know that at times the foot well fill with water after the snow on your shoes or boots melt off.

Now granted some of the discoloration is from dirty water but I can assure you I was smelling moldy water. The good this is the "white" material separates if you tug on it a bit. I was able to pull off layers of the material until the mold was gone. The metal floor was allowed to dry and I set the flooring in the sun to help dry it out as well. It still smells a bit but it's much better than it was when I started.

The only problem I have now is my Airbag warning light is on. I guess when I removed the seats I might have inadvertently disconnected the wires. Oh well....

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts