Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well actually my Mom and Dad are long gone, and I almost joined them.

On my way to a retired firefighters monthly breakfast.
Illegal ran a red light right in front of me.
I hit his drivers side door.
I was going slow enough to almost stop in time and did not activate the air bags.

The illegal climbed out the passenger side and was last seen running north on IL RT. 43.

No injuries to me, and obviously none to the other guy.

But...
less than 4,500 miles, and more than $5,400 to repair.
Fortunately I have good insurance and one of the top rated repair shops in all of Chicagoland.
My red Element was returned all shiny in just 7 working days.

It took a lickin but it did make me sicken.

PS: I bungied the stuff hanging off the front and was able to drive the mile back home. LOL
It bent but did not puncture the radiator.
I can't find where I stored the pics, darn it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Great hearing you are doing well and your E is back in it's original condition. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the pics.

Here are two pics.
Wouldn't have thought that was $5400.00 plus worth of damage.

--------------------------^
Colorado: If You Don't Ski, Don't Bother
--------------------------^
Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://71.57.45.48:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just out of curiosity

That is sad that you and your E got in an accident. I am glad that you are not seriously injured. It's understandable that you are upset. I would be too.
I hope they catch the guy who caused the damage.
Just out of curiosity, when you say "illegal", I assume that you mean he was an illegal alien. How did you know he was illegal if he got away? Did he leave some evidence behind? If so, that's good. It will make it easier to find him.
Maybe he was an uninsured US citizen. Maybe he stole the car or maybe he had a criminal record or an outstanding warrant.
Was the car reported stolen?
My neighbor's E was T-boned and the driver tried to run away. It turns out that he ran because he stole his girlfriend's car and his license was revoked because of too many drunk driving incidents.
There are probably more US citizens driving around with reasons to run than there are illegal aliens driving around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all the reasons you mentioned

That is sad that you and your E got in an accident. I am glad that you are not seriously injured. It's understandable that you are upset. I would be too.
I hope they catch the guy who caused the damage.
Just out of curiosity, when you say "illegal", I assume that you mean he was an illegal alien. How did you know he was illegal if he got away? Did he leave some evidence behind? If so, that's good. It will make it easier to find him.
Maybe he was an uninsured US citizen. Maybe he stole the car or maybe he had a criminal record or an outstanding warrant.
Was the car reported stolen?
My neighbor's E was T-boned and the driver tried to run away. It turns out that he ran because he stole his girlfriend's car and his license was revoked because of too many drunk driving incidents.
There are probably more US citizens driving around with reasons to run than there are illegal aliens driving around.
All the reasons you mentioned are possible.
Which by definition make him Illegal

In my state all of the possible scenios you listed are considered as in violation of the law.
If you are in violation of the law, you are by definition...illegal.

I did not say he was an illegal alien, which he may have been.

·
Registered
717 Posts
All the reasons you mentioned are possible.
Which by definition make him Illegal

In my state all of the possible scenios you listed are considered as in violation of the law.
If you are in violation of the law, you are by definition...illegal.

I did not say he was an illegal alien, which he may have been.
Technically, what he may be doing may be illegal but I have never heard of a criminal suspect referred to as "illegal".

I could not find a single online dictionary (regular or slang) that used the word "illegal" in the way you used it.

I did find two slang definitions for illegal; an illegal alien or a person under the age of consent.

Your use of the word must be very regional.

You learn something new every day. :roll:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If that was my E and the guy ran, there'd be a person shaped dent in the front.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If that was my E and the guy ran, there'd be a person shaped dent in the front.
Sounds like he is suffering from a lead dificiency. I'd say about .45 cal 230 grains should do the trick....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Close relatives

I hope the car is good as new.

By the way, the dogs in your (little bitty) sig photo look like my Belgians.

What are they?
I currently have one LongHair German Shepherd.
and
1 smooth coat Cardigan Welsh Corgi
and
1 LongHair Cardigna Welsh Corgi.

they work as a Search and Rescue Team, Shepherd goes OVER obstacles.
Corgis go under/through/whatever, no obstacles can stop them.

Herding/Working dogs make the best Search and Rescue dogs.
As the Belgian, they LIVE for doing their job.

When the S&R ringtone goes off on my cell, the 3 dogs CHARGE for the back of the Element.....
Don't get between them and the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, it's just a car

As I answered a private message on this thread.

I would hate to be involved in a accident, that resulted in an injury to any party, no matter what his 'situation' was.

I was a career FF who was on the Auto Extrication Team. I was command for one of the busier/most dangerous stretches of Tollway/Highway interchange.

After doing that job, my ability to walk away, and the other parties ability to 'RUN' away was .... all and all.... a good thing.
My family didn't suffer, his family didn't either.

I like my E (I don't love or fixate over it) and after all.
It's just a car.
Yeah I was mad for a bit, I can fix a car..........

My dogs were more upset than me, cramped their style big time. ;-)))

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
In my experience, most people who run from an accident are intoxicated or behind the wheel of a stolen vehicle. Most illegal aliens won't run because a motor vehicle accident is not usually enough for the federal government to want to deport them. Nor is it enough for them to be detained... Remember, illegal border crossing isn't a crime by definition -- it's a federal misdemeanor about 1 step up from jaywalking.

That being said, it's heartbreaking to see a relatively new E have so much damage!! By the way, I absolutely love the color of your new E -- I feel like most of the 09/10 models I see around here are gray (which is also totally awesome).

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear everyone (and your E) are ok, but the pics make me sad!

Being a former auto extractor, have you seen the Dual Saw? Invented by a guy whose friend got killed by kickback from saw when trying to saw off part of a car during a rescue.

http://www.amazon.com/Omni-080901N-DualSaw-Counter-Rotating-Technology/dp/B002FK82VW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1279824159&sr=8-1
No I hadn't. Been retired quite a while now, and especially in that field, things change and improvements are a weekly occurence.
When I started, we had come-a-longs and BMFH's.

I was proud to be member of the 2nd place Team in the big Extrication Compition in ???Nashville 1990????. I forget which was which now a days.

I did remember to stay away from the front bumper, and watch out for delayed air bags activation.

The funny part is, even though the damage LOOKS bad, and cost a lot, the car was driveable.

Except I would have been 'illegal' as I had no front license plate any more.
which BTW, was embedded in the other cars driver door. LOL

and I agree, TRP is a nice color.
So nice that if it wasn't raining and 97F, I'd go out and wash it.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my experience, most people who run from an accident are intoxicated or behind the wheel of a stolen vehicle. Most illegal aliens won't run because a motor vehicle accident is not usually enough for the federal government to want to deport them. Nor is it enough for them to be detained... Remember, illegal border crossing isn't a crime by definition -- it's a federal misdemeanor about 1 step up from jaywalking.

That being said, it's heartbreaking to see a relatively new E have so much damage!! By the way, I absolutely love the color of your new E -- I feel like most of the 09/10 models I see around here are gray (which is also totally awesome).
I'm not trying to arguementative....
In my career as a FF, FFPM, Incident Commander. 30 + years.

I NEVER saw a drunk RUN off.

Stagger around

Weave back and forth...

But intoxicated and running....NEVER. lol

In my experince, the intoxicated didn't think it was THEIR FAULT nor did they think anyone would suspect them of ETOH abuse. LOL

And that went for the Stoned drivers also.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
To bad you didn't have the pooch on your profile to run down the perpetrator. Like Peppers should be running down QB's this year, and maybe Tommy too.
That is assuming you are a Bears fan too.:-D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts