Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recent experience with Moog Front Lower Control arms? Some folks are saying Moog isn't good quality anymore, but how is anyone supposed to know who is any good in the aftermarket parts category? I'm doing the Aerogenics 2" lift and planning to replace the arms due to worn bushings. I'm not going to press in new OEM bushings.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,942 Posts
Moog quality has turned to crap, a lot of it's china junk. Bushings are easy to press in, and Honda bushings way better than china rubber.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Moog quality has gone downhill for over a decade now. I would not pay a premium for their brand anymore.

That being said, OEM control arm/bushings are no longer available new, so pick your poison. I just received my ACDelco Professional bushings and they are made in India.

As well, the front compliance bushing/control arm is a bad design. It's bound to fail regardless of what brand you go with, some just sooner rather than later. Most likely sooner with suspension changes.

My advice would be to keep the old arm around and rebuild them at your leisure for use later on. The bushings are ~$15 a side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have any recent experience with Moog Front Lower Control arms? Some folks are saying Moog isn't good quality anymore, but how is anyone supposed to know who is any good in the aftermarket parts category? I'm doing the Aerogenics 2" lift and planning to replace the arms due to worn bushings. I'm not going to press in new OEM bushings.
I have done some heavy research on here and Dorman has been one of highest quality replacement parts. I just bought them.. Really well built. Don't forget to scrap your old parts like I unfortunately did not. Scrap metal is at an all time high...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Honestly, for the cost of the bushings, if Majestic Honda still has some in stock, I'd just buy those. When I was looking for replacements I called the dealer who told me they were discontinued. I checked online at Hondapartsnow.com and they were discontinued so I bought the ACDelco ones cause the parts picture had a "made in Japan" stamp on it.

Dorman are decent parts. I'd rank them behind ACDelco though. But honestly, it's a pick your poison kind of thing.

The main issue with aftermarket parts is generally in the tolerances and QC. They will almost always work out of the box. The question is for how long? Many (most?) of the aftermarket suppliers are betting on their parts working well enough to pass the warranty phase or for the buyer to not opt for a warranty claim due to difficulty of install etc.

Both Dorman and ACDelco source from all over the world now so it's hard to say what is better at any given time but ACDelco started as, and currently is, GM's aftermarket parts brand (kind of like Aisin and Denso is owned by Toyota). Dorman started out as an aftermarket "hard-to-find" parts maker. Take that info for what you will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. My gut is telling to replace the arms with aftermarket arms. If they fail in 3-5 years I can press in OEM bushings into the originals. If they fail sooner, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the input. My gut is telling to replace the arms with aftermarket arms. If they fail in 3-5 years I can press in OEM bushings into the originals. If they fail sooner, I'll let you know.
Oh yeah, definitely! I should have been more clear. Buy the aftermarket arms, swap them in, save the stock arms for later.

I was just saying buy the OEM bushings for your stock arms for later since they're discontinued.

For me, I bought the aftermarket arms AND bushings. Tape the brand new bushings to the old arms and I won't throw them away, lol.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Element EX AWD
36 Posts
I think the biggest problem you'll have is finding a set of lower control arms. It seem like everyone is out of stock right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the biggest problem you'll have is finding a set of lower control arms. It seem like everyone is out of stock right now.
I bought mevotech arms from rock auto a couple weeks ago. They seem nice and had a slightly different design for the compliance bushing. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing yet though... But I am also planning on keeping the OEM arms and if the mevotech bushings fail I will put urethane bushings in the OEM arms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the Moog LCAs on one of our 2004 Elements at about 120,000 miles. That was six months ago. They were made in China. I have had no problems and they were a perfect fit.
Now from Jeep experience, lifting changes all the original design stresses to something of your own making.

Form follows function equals Element.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that the quality on some of the Moog parts has gone downhill. I think it's because they changed manufacturers on some parts, but the Moog LCA I bought 3 years ago looks exactly the same as the one I bought 2 months ago. I have had no problem with either. They seem to be decent parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda Parts Connection still has compliance bushings. If I was lifting my E and going off road, I wouldn't use anything else. This is due to the ease of travel they allow. Mine stays on the street and I'm going to try to install Power Flex urethane bushings. They look like they will limit travel. Currently I'm running 17" Acura wheels, cut front springs, custom stiffer rear springs. This has lowered the E about an 1" and increased load capacity to about 1000 lbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts