Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already searched through the forum for my issue, and didn't see anything that seemed to quite match. My heat is intermittent. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it blows completely cold. I've noticed it seems to happen on mornings when the outside temp is around 40F, though this could be coincidental. Yes, mornings (morning commute), it hasn't happened on an evening commute. It always seems to work when the outside temp is below freezing or above 50. It's been going on for about a year.

'09 EX with ~160K miles. no other mechanical problems. FWIW I have a Scan Gauge hooked up the the OBD (permanent mount) that shows the engine temp running in the low-mid 180s. I've had that mounted for many years now, and never really see much of a change.

My first thought last year was the thermostat not opening. Had that checked and replaced last fall for good measure, and had the whole hvac system checked out and tuned up by the dealer. Everything worked fine throughout the colder winter months (I live in northeastern massachusetts). The problem came back this spring. This morning featured Ireland-like conditions with 40F and rain. Checking the forum, I found the DTC test, and decided to go see what I would find. Well, as irony would have it, not only did it come back with no code, but the heat worked - I had been in the office for about 30 minutes so the engine was still warm. I'll probably have to wait until it fails again and redo the test.

I haven't had the chance to get under the dash and check the drive gears, but the temp control knob rotates well with good tactile feedback and rotates the full range. I suppose there could be some play in the cable to the flow valve, but I would think that would result in the heat sometimes not getting quite hot, not the situation where the heat either works great or doesn't work at all.

I'm interested to see if anyone has had similar issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have sprayed contact cleaner into the knobs as best I can without removing the frame. That seemed to help. I’m guessing like stereo pots, sometimes the Connections get dirty

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've already searched through the forum for my issue, and didn't see anything that seemed to quite match. My heat is intermittent. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it blows completely cold. I've noticed it seems to happen on mornings when the outside temp is around 40F, though this could be coincidental. Yes, mornings (morning commute), it hasn't happened on an evening commute. It always seems to work when the outside temp is below freezing or above 50. It's been going on for about a year.

'09 EX with ~160K miles. no other mechanical problems. FWIW I have a Scan Gauge hooked up the the OBD (permanent mount) that shows the engine temp running in the low-mid 180s. I've had that mounted for many years now, and never really see much of a change.

My first thought last year was the thermostat not opening. Had that checked and replaced last fall for good measure, and had the whole hvac system checked out and tuned up by the dealer. Everything worked fine throughout the colder winter months (I live in northeastern massachusetts). The problem came back this spring. This morning featured Ireland-like conditions with 40F and rain. Checking the forum, I found the DTC test, and decided to go see what I would find. Well, as irony would have it, not only did it come back with no code, but the heat worked - I had been in the office for about 30 minutes so the engine was still warm. I'll probably have to wait until it fails again and redo the test.

I haven't had the chance to get under the dash and check the drive gears, but the temp control knob rotates well with good tactile feedback and rotates the full range. I suppose there could be some play in the cable to the flow valve, but I would think that would result in the heat sometimes not getting quite hot, not the situation where the heat either works great or doesn't work at all.

I'm interested to see if anyone has had similar issues.
The biggest problem with people attempting to diagnose or repair their own vehicles is usually that they don't have the knowledge of how the systems work and they don't have a plan. I am responding to you but this could apply to most of the posts on the forum.

Get a service manual, either a printed one or an on-line subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com or similar. Test in logical order. Break the system down into parts and test each one at a time. It can be time consuming but it avoids running in circles.

Example. Lack of heat. It could be a cooling system problem or an airflow problem. Start by determining which. With the engine dead cold remove the radiator cap and verify the radiator is full. Verify the coolant reservoir is filled to the minimum mark. Even if someone else just worked on the system, trust no one.

When the engine warms up verify the engine is getting up to the proper operating temperature. Check that both heater hoses in the engine compartment get hot. If not, there is no coolant circulation through the heater core. It could be the heater control valve or a partially clogged heater core.

Once the engine is up to temperature and coolant is flowing through the heater core test the air flow system. Testing depends on how the system works, meaning the temperature is controlled by a cable or an air blend door and electrical actuator. Temperature of the air out the vents should change with the adjustment of the temperature control on the dash. If not, why not? Stuck valve, stuck cable, bad actuator, broken air door, etc.

Simple, logical, one step at a time. Except when the fault is intermittent. You have to catch it in the act and that is not always easy. Obviously.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts