Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (new) 2004 is actually an EX model. Carfax said it had odometer issues but it lists 110K. Somebody replaced bulbs in the instrument cluster.

I bought it cheap and am addressing surprisingly few issues:
- Fix the loose front seat (parts on order)
- Bigger battery, Optima?
- "Ticking" engine, suspect timing chain tensioner?
- Carpets/mats

Questions for the group:

Is it worth it to take to my Honda dealer (who takes care of my 150K 2004 Odyssey) for a complete fluid change (manual trans, engine flush, coolant flush, brake fluid)?

Can the dealer check the computer for ACTUAL mileage?

Thanks in adavnce!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the mileage is stored in the instrument cluster itself, not in the ECU. If it's erased out of there, I'm at least 90% sure there's not another location to retrieve it from.

For fluids/lube/maintenance/whatever, do you have any records from the previous owner? It's not a bad idea to take it in for a full going-over anyway, but if you don't have maint. records it becomes much more important, especially as you're just starting out with it.

For batteries, check the electrical forum, there's more info there than to shake a stick at including walkthroughs for installing various types of plus-size batteries.

Welcome to the madhouse, we're here to help (and drive you crazy like us). :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome to the club. The milage is stored in the dash and if anyone did any work or replacement with a new setup they will put the closest milage back on the new one and it will show up with a odometer issue on the reg or title witch is no big deal. Just like Twi said it doesn't hurt to take it in and have it gone over unless you have any mechanical abilities to change out the fluids ect and it will save you some money by doing that. As for the battery I am still on the original and can't say what would be a good replacement but I am going to be looking myself in the near future unless this thing keeps acting like the Energizer bunny.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts