Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how we can get more power from the stock engine...can we order a larger engine?... seems like a good idea. I get my new element in about 2 weeks, EX Red Standard.

Any Ideas???

tim

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Lemme tell you what, boy. Chrysler is again selling the 426 hemi crate engine. I think you should get one and put it in! Send pics on the install!

·
Registered
141 Posts
The TSX also has a 5 speed automatic and a 6 speed manual as it's transmissions as well, with a lot less weight to haul around (500 lbs. or so), plus it's lower to the ground.

As far as the hemi engine, the current hemi in the Dodge trucks is a 5.7L variety. The 426 hemi was well over 6 liters.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Summit Racing Products:
DCC-5249667 Crate Motor 426 Hemi 465 HP 486 Ft. Lbs Torque $11,999.95

That'd move your little E right smartly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda will probably offer a SIX in the Element in the future. That's what the competition is doing. I think Nissan just upped the Engine on the X-terra....

A six makes the E much more functional (with a couple other changes).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ya the Xterra has an optional s/c'd 6 cylinder. Nothing new though really. It's an absolute pig on gas and puts out something like 210hp I think? That's pretty lame considering.
I can't see Honda putting a six in the Element before they put one in the CRV. If they did they'd have a real problem selling CRV's I bet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I felt the same way about the 2.4. On my initial oil change I went to synthetic and a K & N airfilter and a noticiable power increase. Until someone comes out with a cold air induction system it will do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[quote:67fbb1e51d="sundance"]I felt the same way about the 2.4. On my initial oil change I went to synthetic and a K & N airfilter and a noticiable power increase. Until someone comes out with a cold air induction system it will do.[/quote:67fbb1e51d]

It might help the "butt dyno" but you won't see any real special increase on a dynamometer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
K &N? Can you elaborate on what this is?
K&N is a brand of air fiter.
It is a high performance air filter that will directly replace the factory air filter. It is also reusable. You just wash it and re-oil it and it is good to go. I think they have like a million mile warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[quote:fec44f8caa="Ramy"]
K &N? Can you elaborate on what this is?
K&N is a brand of air fiter.
It is a high performance air filter that will directly replace the factory air filter. It is also reusable. You just wash it and re-oil it and it is good to go. I think they have like a million mile warranty.[/quote:fec44f8caa]

My question is: Does the K&N filter out the dust and crap as well as the OEM filter? I have to assume that less restriction means a lesser quality of filtration, thus more stuff gets into the engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My question is: Does the K&N filter out the dust and crap as well as the OEM filter? I have to assume that less restriction means a lesser quality of filtration, thus more stuff gets into the engine?

Absolutely not. The K&N allows more CLEAN air to pass through. I've used K&N or similar airboxes on every new vehicle I've owned. Stock air intakes are needlessly restrictive in order to reduce "noise". removing those restrictions lets the engine breathe more freely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You would think so but I can speak from experience that K&N makes some very good filters I had one on my 96 and 98 civic hatch and it made a noticable difference. The special oils used to lubricated the filter attract a lot of the dust and the design of the filter itself while lending itself to allowing more air to enter the design catches more than your oem filter will. I strongly recommend the option it did great things for me in the past. The synthetic oil however Im not sure how this imcreases horsepower I doubt that stongly however it has given me a noticably better gas mileage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
K&N filters use a cotton a folded oiled cotton gauze material that filters and breathes better then the OEM version. They have been big in motorcycle filters for years, plenty of dust testing.

I installed mine with Mobil 1 synthetic and removed the extra "horn" (near the battery) on the stock air intake... get better throttle response and sounds better too. It appears a cold air intake like an Injen or K&N Typhoon is the way to an easy 10-12hp. CAI's have a "power bump" from 3000-4500 which is perfect for the E's low end torque and where the engine likes to run...

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote:b3bec7b2c0="lizzurd"]You can always swap in the motor from the RSX type S....you would gain 40hp but lose 20 lbs of torque.[/quote:b3bec7b2c0]

Better yet...just buy a RSX-S as a second car..... :p

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nah, pony up for the S2000, another 40 HP on top of that ;)

[quote:60110ba133="HEK"]

Better yet...just buy a RSX-S as a second car..... :p[/quote:60110ba133]

1 - 20 of 53 Posts