Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, for the last couple of years Karen and I have been volunteers for the Second Chance Animal Sanctuary out of Blue Ridge, GA.

Month after month, finances for the group have been a struggle. We tried to never turn away an animal, no matter how sick, and the resulting vet bills were a constant drain. In spite of very generous contributions and very successful fundraisers, the current economy and the glut of abandoned and neglected dogs made it financially impossible to carry on on our own.

In any case, the decision was made to close down Second Chance as an independent entity and to merge our resources and volunteers with the newly arrived Humane Society of Blue Ridge.

http://www.humanesocietyofblueridge.org

In the future, if any of you want to help these animals, that’s where donations can be sent.

For right now, Karen and I just took in five five-week-old puppies. The story is that someone bought a used mobile home in Rome, GA and had it towed to this area. On arrival here, they heard whimpering from within the panels. Surprise!

They’re really cute (and really small). Four little boys and one little girl. We don’t know the breed(s). As soon as they’re a little older they’re all available for adoption.

I threw together a little video and posted it to YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyKpIsnKkw

Please help if you can!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
beautiful pups!!!! they look like little pits to me but nobody can really tell at that age. I'm interested to see what they grow up to be. Good luck with their adoption, its a great thing you guys are doing. KEEP IT UP!!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Those are cute pups! I am sorry to hear about the closing, that just plain sux for the animals.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More sad news...

...on Tuesday morning, one of the pups (Chewy) seemed very lethargic, with labored breathing and no appetite.

Karen carried him around all morning, and we syringed a little water into his mouth. By noon, we decided a trip to the vet was prudent and we got an app't for 2:30P.

Unfortunately, at around 1:20 Chewy took his last breath. Karen was there and was beside herself. With 50 or so puppies fostered to date, this is the first one we've lost.

We arranged to take the remaining pups in, and the diagnosis was coccidiosis, a parasite we had never heard of. They started on medication for that, and today, with lingering coughs, started on antibiotics as well.

We sure hope we don't lose another.

RIP Chewy (a couple hours before the end):

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Sorry to hear that! What a cute little puppy. :-(

Good luck with the cure for the others!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Puppies still available - update

The four remaining pups are now about 12 weeks old. They're mostly over their health issues, but still cough occasionally. The vet says their lungs sound good and its likely a tracheal issue.

They've gotten a lot bigger and they're all well socialized with us, our "pack" and each other.

Photos from earlier today:

Elsie -

Spot -

Coal -

Codi -

More photos at:http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157622466651019/

They're due for their final shots and possibly spay & neuter on Monday, 10/19.

Interested? Call Eddie or Karen @ 706-492-3118 or [email protected].

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an update, Blue Ridge, GA had a "Paws In The Park" festival today, and we found VERY nice families to take Codi and Elsie:

Spot is still available and adorable. Pretty sure I have a lead on Coal, if we can find a way to transport him (Coal) to from N GA to West Palm Beach or vicinity.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Spot is still available and adorable. Pretty sure I have a lead on Coal, if we can find a way to transport him (Coal) to from N GA to West Palm Beach or vicinity.

Any ideas?
when are you trying to do it?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...when are you trying to do it?
Let me check with the prospective owner, but I think ASAP.

We can handle the leg from here to either Atlanta, Macon or possibly even Cordele, GA - I have to see how far north the fellow is willing to drive.

I'll try to post back later today.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Let me check with the prospective owner, but I think ASAP.

We can handle the leg from here to either Atlanta, Macon or possibly even Cordele, GA - I have to see how far north the fellow is willing to drive.

I'll try to post back later today.
if the new owner can drive to the daytona area i may be able to help with the leg from the fl/ga line area to there or maybe even a little south of there. all depends on when it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts