Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2006 Bone Stock LX AWD that's about to get two inches taller!
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've read the exhaustive suspension setup pages (and pages!) and I'm not sure I've wrapped my head around all the options. I'm looking to lower the ride a bit, not slamming it, just sportifying it a bit! :)

I'm on RockAuto as we speak, trying to get the best spring and strut setup for good road holding and good compliance (less banging and shaking, more firm thunks and sporty cornering).

It'll be on stock wheels/rubber to begin with, so that may be a consideration?

I've used KYB's in the past (with RX7's) and they were great. Are they a viable option here?

Which springs offer the best drop in height and least harsh ride?

I'm also planning on doing this suspension kit: More Information for MEVOTECH MKIT10116 to handle the problem bushings and tie rod ends, etc... if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!!

Registered
Well, if you're willing to spend the money, BC Racing Standard height coilovers with the Swift spring option and BS front strut option transform the ride and handling (Standard height units can be adjusted down about 3"). SC swaybars are a good upgrade with urethane bushings (SC sway bar brackets & links are required). Aerogenics has adapters for the rear sway bar. Extremely simple install for everything IF it's not a rust belt vehicle.

Just pay attention to the details...馃槈

Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = 鈥淶ippy鈥
@mwishk You beat me to it!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my standard height BC Racing coilovers... adjustable height, adjustable ride ~30 levels of hard<=>soft...

I鈥檓 running both SC sway bars... (I mean, I bought a parts car that is an SC, what else am I going to do with it! 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔) Also running the stock 18鈥 SC wheels with Toyo Versado Noir rubber...

I think I bought the last of the Aerogenics SC sway bar adapters, but maybe they have made another run? I also bought Aerogenics rear arms as well as the tie bar... (Not happy with their customer service, but I digress)

I will continue to claim that my rear end has never been tighter! 馃ぃ

My point is, I was inspired by the feel of my BMW Z3 suspension to look beyond stock replacement for Zippy, and the BC Racing coilovers are superb. Worth every penny.

Good luck,
Brad

Reactions: mwishk

Premium Member
As I was FINALLY replacing my exhaust today (Ordered 2 months ago, arrived two days ago), I thought I would show my rear suspension changes...
(When I installed these underside bits, I spray bombed it with primer/gloss black; but it is now quite dirty from rain in last few days... I never claimed my rear end was clean...)

Slightly lower/sportier stance, stock SC wheels (refinished), and again I can't say enough nice things about the BC Racing coil-overs...

Annnnnd here's my level of weird... These 69mm center caps are from a Prelude (80s-90s??), older style of "H" debossed in the plastic so that I would be able to see it after spray painting the caps to match the refinished wheels... I think of it as a nice touch that few (if any) will ever even notice without reading this.

Onto the under-bits... Aerogenics EX-to-SC sway bar adapter, rear arms, and tie bar...
(Oh, I pulled passenger rear wheel off to adjust that coilover... It needed about 1/8" adjustment, super easy fine tuning really...)

I can't say that I would pick Aerogenics parts again, especially if their EX-to-SC adapters are discontinued...
Their customer service left quite a negative impression on me.

@Chromium_Domium I also did a similar collection of lower-arms/links/ball-joints/steering to the one you list above...
This was when I installed the coil-overs, and at the same time I also did the TSX upgraded brakes...

Amazon -- Callahan CCK02318 FRONT Powder Coated Black [2] Calipers + [2] Zinc Plated D/S Rotors + [4] Ceramic Brake Pads

Also completely worth every penny, IMHO... Should be done to every single Element on the road.

Good luck!

Brad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And here, I've been expecting to pay ~$500 for my suspension. But BC Racing makes some of the best damned kits around, and 1k is only double what I was going to pay originally. Compared to what I spent to put a cobbled together coil over system on one of my FB RX7's back in the day (Over $2500 and it was terrible!) that's a dang bargain!

I'm desperately seeking a rando parts car that has them recently installed but I know that's a pipe dream (my autocorrect thought I meant Pope Dream?!), so I've just gotta step up and friggin' go for it.

I'm ALWAYS an upgraded brakes guy as well. So that's a great suggestion too! A lot less expensive than full custom kits, and a lot more braking power for the price makes that a helluva deal!

And @KargoMaster, your E is... Sex-E! That muted grey/black on green is a great combo, and the SC wheels look SUPER sharp in that finish! Is it just a well done rattle can job? Or did you have someone actually refinish them?

Thanks so much Brad!

Josh

Premium Member
Thanks! It's my pleasure to help... Sharing our experiences and a passion for our rides must be the reason we're all here...
At this point, all of the "early adopters" have fled to the next new best thing! :LOL:

I did pay $1050 for my BC Racing set (edit: 2019 cost, expect more now)... I could have purchased semi-anonymously through Amazon or the like, but I went to a local performance shop (where I also purchased the low miles stock replacement engine now in Zippy too)... I was happy to find it was the same cost either way, and my relationship with this business is something I appreciate...
(My understanding is that they currently have a K-series turbo build going, and I may just stop to say "Hi.")

The wheels were professionally refinished, I'm more than happy to give Wheel Doctor a fantastic review/recommendation: https://www.wheeldoctorohio.com/
If you're ever around Cincinnati, Ohio, and you need a set of wheels refinished, they are the place to go. Wheel Doctor did a wonderful job with this set of wheels.
The SC that they came off of was essentially a painter's work truck... it had some front end damage, one of the wheels actually had some yucky rash (slight damage)...
Corrosion under all of the clearcoating too... That whole rig had been ridden hard and put away wet...

I thought about just spraying plastic-dip on them myself, but I wanted better results than I was thinking I was capable of...
When considering the tire mounting process, I'm so glad I went this way.
I dropped off the wheels... I wasn't really sure what I was in for... but coming back to see the finished product, I was in AWE.
The slightly damaged wheel is literally indistinguishable from the others... They all look perfect...
I think I'm $600 into the refinish for 4 wheels. (edit: 2019 cost, expect more now) I would do it again, in a heart beat.

The other thing I like about the TSX brake upgrade for the front is that (as long as you ask for the right car when speaking to the counter monkey) you can find parts anywhere in a pinch...

All for now,
Brad

Reactions: Chromium_Domium

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Premium Member
Straight from my BC Racing paperwork: "Model: 03-11 ELEMENT YH1/YH2"

I believe the A-59-BR visible in the eBay listing was the same manufacturer part number that I was looking for years ago...
(Please keep in mind I bought these a few years ago; bought all the other pieces, and finally put it all together this year...
I have a project problem, I have too many projects... "Squirrel! Shiny things!" What was I saying? ;) )

Brad

Registered
I went with the BS strut valving in the front, for additional ride compliance. Unfortunately it's not available for the rear. Had to consult with a supplier to sort that out.

I upgraded the front brakes, with a kit from Wilwood. 12.19 rotors & quick change 4 piston calipers.
It allowed using 16" Momo wheel for the winter tires. Saved 21 lbs too. It's a straight bolt on with the purchase of two SAE threaded banjo bolts.

Premium Member
Wait, I think I get what you're saying now @mwishk ...you had them put the valving from the next level up series into your BR series model... COOL!

My understanding is that the next level up series is the DS series shown below...
For my daily driver, I'm happy with the BR series, but it's nice to know additional options exist!

NICE brake setup!

Cheers!
Brad

Reactions: mwishk

Premium Member
I mentioned spray painting my (Honda Prelude) center caps, this is the color I tried first (it's a Toyota color :eek: )
I felt the match was good enough, and I haven't followed it up with any additional attempts.
I was fully expecting an iterative matching process... even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

Registered
Hey all! I've read the exhaustive suspension setup pages (and pages!) and I'm not sure I've wrapped my head around all the options. I'm looking to lower the ride a bit, not slamming it, just sportifying it a bit! :)

I'm on RockAuto as we speak, trying to get the best spring and strut setup for good road holding and good compliance (less banging and shaking, more firm thunks and sporty cornering).

It'll be on stock wheels/rubber to begin with, so that may be a consideration?

I've used KYB's in the past (with RX7's) and they were great. Are they a viable option here?

Which springs offer the best drop in height and least harsh ride?

I'm also planning on doing this suspension kit: More Information for MEVOTECH MKIT10116 to handle the problem bushings and tie rod ends, etc... if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!!
I just put in a Tein suspension on my E-SC. Just lowered it about 1/2 inch above the tires. I didn't want to slam it as NY has potholes on top of potholes. Changed all the bushings and it's riding beautifully. Will post pics once I get it back from the shop. Having CV axle drive seals changed.

Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
I just put in a Tein suspension on my E-SC. Just lowered it about 1/2 inch above the tires. I didn't want to slam it as NY has potholes on top of potholes. Changed all the bushings and it's riding beautifully. Will post pics once I get it back from the shop. Having CV axle drive seals changed.
Suspension as in coilovers? or just springs....

Registered
I agree with everyone about the BC racing coil overs. I ordered the extreme drop. Straight out of the box they dropped it about 3 inches. It looked great but it rubbed in the front a little too much for my liking. I had a shop do the intial install, but I raised it up about 1/2 an inch it the front and now it's perfect. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever, and it took me about 30 minutes to do the front. It very easy to adjust the coilovers and they have a lot of different settings. I am very happy and highly suggest them.

Registered
I went with the BS strut valving in the front, for additional ride compliance. Unfortunately it's not available for the rear. Had to consult with a supplier to sort that out.

I upgraded the front brakes, with a kit from Wilwood. 12.19 rotors & quick change 4 piston calipers.
It allowed using 16" Momo wheel for the winter tires. Saved 21 lbs too. It's a straight bolt on with the purchase of two SAE threaded banjo bolts.

Not to get too off topic but did you have to use an adjustable brake bias proportioning valve with this big brake kit, thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts