Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will all know even the discounted dealers on accessories are make money hand over fist on us giddy new E owners. I was wondering what Accessories do you think are the most over priced?

Here a few thoughts

Rubber mats
Wind deflector
Fog Lights
Arm Rest

I have one that I think takes this title, but I will wait to see what you all think first.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The rear wing - it is a simple piece of plastic with no moving or electrical parts and they don't even offer it in matching colors - plus it's well over $200 - this is my choice for most over priced accessory.

P.S. I'll probably still buy the stupid thing and have it painted to match. :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought the fog lights were way overpriced! (Yes, I'm still thinking about getting them.)

But, I think the $300 "installed" cargo cover takes the cake... I explained that I could purchase it on the internet and have it overnighted and it would only cost me $150 and maybe 2 minutes of my time (to take it out of the package and pop it in), but the dealership said it costs them $180 and wouldn't budge on the price. Oh well...

Mandy

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is a joke! My parts person (In Bradenton, Fl.) has agreed to give me accessories for whatever I can get them on the internet for. I just have to bring in proof. If they won't do it, go somewhere else, another dealer in the area was selling for MSRP! 8)

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
Or, of course, just order them from online. Unless my dealer can match the online pricing I'll just order them--except for those fog lamps. I'm afraid to install those myself.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Well for starters there are the seat back bungees that aren't included....but the holders are....so you kinda have to do something there, and at $15 a bungee....can you say rip off? Also my dealer is cahrging $25 installed per bungee...it took like 2 seconds t install....may I wish I could make $10 for 30 seconds of work!

Also I think that the the major price gouging is occuring on the "installation" costs....I mean to cahrge you $50 to install each seat cover???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had to replace one OEM chrome lug nut on my EX
8 friggin bucks
I'm surprised the parts guy didn't have a mask on !!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
So I got a 10% discount on accessories from the dealer. Any advice to which ones would be worth the discount?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get 10% off from my dealership, too, but so far everything I've bought I ordered from the internet because it was still cheaper. The fog lights may be worth it- I hear they are a little tricky to install.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The trailer hitch seems like a ripoff for the dealer to put on. Almost $500!!!It seems the wiring harness costs a mint!! I heard it's a P-I-T-A to put on, too (the harness, not the hitch). I'm gonna go price some hitch dealers around here and see how they'd do but I'm sure they have never put one on an Element before. I won't go to the one that put on the hitch for my friend's CR-V. They left a lot of hidden things disconnected like the rear 12V outlet and some other things...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely the trailer hitch and wiring harness! Honda wants over $800 installed! Even my saleman nearly choked on that one. He called U-Haul and made arrangements to buy it from tham and have them install it (less than $400).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I thing the peel and stick Chrome and Blue dash accents are a total rip.

I'm waiting for the aftermarket guys to come up with something there. I want a plain flat finish so I can paint the SOP.

Because the fogs lights are such a pain to install I had the dealer do mine. I've read stories of deales and others screwing up the front facia but cutting it wrong. If the dealer buggers it up they have to make it good. If you bugger it up its your problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For a multi disk changer!! WTF!!

You could get a whole system that would blow the doors off a stock system for $100 more. Sad...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The trailer hitch, fog lights and seat bunge cords are true rip offs.

I went to a trailer hitch speciality place and they flat out told me that most dealers use an aftermarket hitch anyway and pay them to install the hitch to squeeze more profit into it. I put a hidden hitch on,,,parts and labor total was $200.00.

As an added note, when I bought my 2WD EX on Dec 31,,, the dealer told me they would charge their actual cost for parts and labor for any accessories. That was joke,, their quoted actual dealer cost was more then other Honda dealers sell the parts for on the net and I laughed at the dealers actual labor cost of $80.00 an hour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
[quote:1528c8d49e="GMan4U"]Will all know even the discounted dealers on accessories are make money hand over fist on us giddy new E owners. I was wondering what Accessories do you think are the most over priced?

Here a few thoughts

Rubber mats
Wind deflector
Fog Lights
Arm Rest

I have one that I think takes this title, but I will wait to see what you all think first.[/quote:1528c8d49e]

I have to agree fog lights rear wind deflector and arm rest. but bought all of them! Very easy to install. nothing like having all the right stuff in one box! OEM is the best!

·
Registered
18 Posts
For $899 you can get a 6 cd changer, which with the front CD as well will give you maybe 8 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music.

For $208 you can get a 20gb Archos MP3 Player/Recorder which will give you somewhere on the order of 350 hours of uninterrupted music (at 128kbps)

Your choice :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
And for less than $100, you can get a MP3 cd player. That was my choice, and I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought an Orange 4WD EX from John Eagle Honda in Dallas, TX. They promised me "wholesale" prices on accessories, and proceeded with HUGE mark-ups.

The most insulting was $98 for the chrome exhaust pipe tip and the most ridiculous was $541 for the little rubber stickem they call the Rear Bumper Trim.

FYI, I called Honda America's Customer Service 800 #, and they told me that a dealer can add up to 40-50% mark-up, plus labor and delivery. But that is no excuse for charging $89 for the picnic table legs and $200 for splash guards.

They lost a good customer and gained nothing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts