Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am a brand new element owner. My
Mom surprised me with it yesterday. I took it out for a drive and couldn't help but notice that it makes me quite motion sick to drive. I thought it may have been a fluke and tried again today longer distance and I'm still experiencing it.

I love the element and I'd hate to think I'd have to get rid of it because it makes me sick to drive, has anyone else experienced this issue and are there any suggestions for fixes to this issue?

I have driven a lot of cars,trucks and vans without experiencing this. This is the first time I've ever been sick as the driver of a car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kristi

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you sure you're not allergic to something in the Element? Maybe check the cabin filter (meaning, replace it). Plus - mine had a quantity of hidden dog hair in the interior's nooks and crannies.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I second Guzzielement's suggestion on replacing the filters. The Element is known for higher floor noise and a bumpier ride than some vehicles, but as a driver it's really rare to get carsick-- especially on a shorter drive.

What you describe is more like an allergic reaction. Since it was a gift, was it detailed recently? Could it be the scent of a cleaner or air freshener?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I second Guzzielement's suggestion on replacing the filters. The Element is known for higher floor noise and a bumpier ride than some vehicles, but as a driver it's really rare to get carsick-- especially on a shorter drive.

What you describe is more like an allergic reaction. Since it was a gift, was it detailed recently? Could it be the scent of a cleaner or air freshener?
I second the "allergic reaction" theory. Cars for sale seem to suffer from a lot of "Let's spray something on it to fix that for a while" problems - things the owners wouldn't even consider doing to their own rides - and especially those plastic renewal goops leaving all kinds of solvents leaching out of the trim.

Second theory is that because you're not used to such upright seats, you might try tipping them back a click or two and see if it helps. I have a family member that likes to puke her guts out unless the seat is tipped exactly right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm, an interesting suggestion, I will look into if some weird cleaner was used and look into replacing the cabin filter. The car is spotless. Doesn't look like there is a trace of any animal hair, and I'm not prone to allergic reactions to my knowledge.

The noise doesn't bother me, nor do the bumps on some roads as I was a Jeep owner previously, it's insanely hard to explain but it's this subtle pitching and yaw movement like driving a boat or something. Perhaps I'm just not used to the car yet.

I tried tilting the seat back and the more "relaxed" I sit the more I feel the motion sickness. Upright is the way to go.

I looked around on other forums, some people have made suggestions in the past to change the stock tires out for other brands or wider tires ( but I suspect this is to remedy bumpy rides on rougher terrain, which isn't my issue as I was driving on a flat straight road going 45mph)

Also tinting the passenger and driver side window was suggested. I am going to give the tinting suggestion a try.

As was a suggestion on an alignment check and possible ball joint replacement..

Thank you for all of your replies. I'm very excited to be part of the E family.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Element EX AWD
619 Posts
Was there any chance you did your driving on a windy day? After all it is a box on wheels. What a nice gift! It took me a few days when I first had the vehicle to get used to all the window space I had. Are you getting any kind of Vertigo effect? Don't give up yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
a 2008 at awd, red? those are known for motion sickness so you should just sell it to me for super cheep!!! lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
how squishy is the suspension?

if it's not allergy related, and if sitting still (per boxybutgood's suggestion),

maybe your suspension is rocking?

my wife, who is extremely susceptible to motion sickness loves my E for road trips, because of the space and comfort. she's never complained of motion sickness in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The suspension doesn't feel "squishy" or bouncy at all. I was driving on a non windy day, 45 mph up to 80mph on flat highways.

The best way to describe it is like a very subtle constant rocking/movement that put me in a constant state of sickness. Also when letting my foot off the gas to stop and start felt a little delayed and jerky but I'm chalking that up to having to get used to the car vs my Jeep Liberty I used to have.

I'm going to try the laptop or book thing to rule out being allergic too.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Kristi

"how squishy is the suspension?

if it's not allergy related, and if sitting still (per boxybutgood's suggestion),

maybe your suspension is rocking?

my wife, who is extremely susceptible to motion sickness loves my E for road trips, because of the space and comfort. she's never complained of motion sickness in it."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts