Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be possible to use 5w30 oil in my E. I saw this at costco for much cheaper then buying individual quarts of 5w20.

thanks

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It is very close to the recomended "weight," so you'll be fine. (btw...I use 5-30 all the time)

In most cases, the price is the same no matter what the weight. The cost savings (within a brand/type) is usually in the gallon or 5 qt jugs.

If you prefer the 5-20, just shop around, keep an eye out for the bigger containers.

·
Registered
730 Posts
only use the oil that came with the car.
Shouldn't you have changed the oil by now? :roll:

On a serious note, when you buy it in the larger containers (5 quart) you will come out cheaper from my experience. Check out Wal Mart as well! You don't have to buy your oil and filter from an auto parts store which are sometimes much higher in price!

·
Registered
250 Posts
i ran 5-30 in the fall when temps were changing. By early winter when temps were getting pretty cold I noticed the engine was pretty noisy. When I had the hood up there was clattering cacophony. This quieted down when I changed to 0-20.
I won't put 5-30 in again.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Its best to use the recommended oil as the engine clearances are very close and heavier oil will reduce your mileage. Back when I was taught my teacher always talked about using thicker oil is like using bowling balls where ball bearings should go. I would think that little change in the summer would not cause any harm. By the way Wallyworld has oil for about the same price as Costco.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
In oil analysis, Honda's 5w-20 tests closer to that of a 5w-30 in viscosity.
That's because the Honda OEM oil can be really <cough> cheap oil. Test and compare again after it's been used.

I'll mention again here the sad story of the old GM 305 V-8 engines. The engine was designed for a 5w-30 weight oil but since it wasn't a popular weight at the time, a lot of owners used 10w-30 or 10w-40 instead because "it was close enough" and then found to their chagrin that they kept needing to go back in and get new camshafts and rocker arms. Instead of blaming the negligent owners, the negligent owners blamed GM for making a bad engine - and the 305 ended up with a bad rep for trouble. By the time that 5w-30 was plentiful, nobody wanted to buy a vehicle with a 305, even though nearly half of the V8's were 305's instead of 350's.

The only difference between the two engines that made any difference was that the passages on the 305 were designed for the thinner oil and thicker 10 weights wouldn't flow through them well enough, which I suspect is the same case for the engine in the E. Using a 10 weight oil, especially in cooler weather, especially a dino oil with the lower film strength, probably will cause trouble down the road. There are wise places to save money and wise places to spend it, and the right weight of oil is your engine's life blood.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i would stay with oem spec motor oil 5w-20w..
mobil 1 FTW :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's because the Honda OEM oil can be really <cough> cheap oil. Test and compare again after it's been used.

I'll mention again here the sad story of the old GM 305 V-8 engines. The engine was designed for a 5w-30 weight oil but since it wasn't a popular weight at the time, a lot of owners used 10w-30 or 10w-40 instead because "it was close enough" and then found to their chagrin that they kept needing to go back in and get new camshafts and rocker arms. Instead of blaming the negligent owners, the negligent owners blamed GM for making a bad engine - and the 305 ended up with a bad rep for trouble. By the time that 5w-30 was plentiful, nobody wanted to buy a vehicle with a 305, even though nearly half of the V8's were 305's instead of 350's.

The only difference between the two engines that made any difference was that the passages on the 305 were designed for the thinner oil and thicker 10 weights wouldn't flow through them well enough, which I suspect is the same case for the engine in the E. Using a 10 weight oil, especially in cooler weather, especially a dino oil with the lower film strength, probably will cause trouble down the road. There are wise places to save money and wise places to spend it, and the right weight of oil is your engine's life blood.
Honda OEM 5w20 is actually Exxon/Mobil Dino with a high moly content - great oil.

5w30 will quiet down a VTEC head and chain, and 'quiet' means less wear and that oil is where it should be. 5w30 is spec'd for CRV's delivered in Japan. Now, I wonder why that is? CAFE std=the new Koolaid.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What Weight Oil?

Greetings from sunny Florida.

I use Mobil 1 0W-20 green label in my Element. I buy the five quart jug at Wally World when I can find it. Buying five individual quarts can get pricy. I use it with the Mobil 1 filter.

I ran 0W-20 in my Volvo S80 T6 and got better fuel mileage than with dino oil and changed every 7K to 8K miles. At each change I would apply a can of Restore which filled in the pits and scars in the cylinder walls and raised compression. It was running strong at 234,000 miles when I traded for the Element.

I live in the south so cold weather is not much of a factor.

As always, YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts