Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fiance and I have a 2010 EX. I frequently do trackdays on my 04 Nicky Hayden RC51. We're both from North Georgia and now live in south Florida also known as northern Cuba. I'm wanting to use my fiance's element next month to tow the bike back home to north Georgia for a week of riding some of the best sportbike roads in the country.
I recently installed the UHaul hitch on the Element. Strange little unit with the long bolt spacers and big ass washers and the U bolt that hooks over that little loop thing (what is that thing). How sturdy could that tow loop thing be???
Here's the question. Is the Element really capable of towing a 400+ lb sportbike, given the thing only has a rated tounge weight limit of 150lbs and a tow rating of only 1500.

I see these folks tow those teardrop trailers. Surely it'll tow a bike.
Attached Images

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would tow that bike with my E till the cows came home. Would be no problem at all.
u

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, I have the Honda factory tow kit, and I tow a 300lb trailer with an 800lb bike on it all day long, and still get 22-24mpg.
Taken it Seattle - Wyoming & back several times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've a KLR650 I plan on doing this with...only need room for the one bike, so it would be nice to get some secure storage on the trailer as well.

Any trailer suggestions? Trips could be long, and might cover minor off-pavement sections. Nothing major...gravel roads, fire roads, etc. Still, I'd prefer to pay a little more and get something that's beefy enough to handle this type of terrain - not really interested in the Harbor Freight $300 specials.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would get one with at least 13 inch wheels. Tractor Supply has some nice ones with the ramp at a decent price. More so when they are on sale. They look well built. Have been eying them for a while.
u

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tow our dirt bikes all over hells half acre! I have a small cargo trailer that holds the two honda's, all our gear etc no problem. Nice bike BTW!!!

Not as sleek but here's us on our bikes

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good to know - may be needing to haul my cruiser (under 500 lbs), so looks like the E should handle that just fine (with trailer, be around 1000 lbs).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Motorcycle Trailer

Is the Element really capable of towing a 400+ lb sportbike, given the thing only has a rated tounge weight limit of 150lbs and a tow rating of only 1500.
I see these folks tow those teardrop trailers. Surely it'll tow a bike
We've had a white enclosed Cycle Shuttle 11-0 for a couple of years. It weighs less than 500 pounds and is perfect for the E.

BTW, we put it up for sale Monday after bringing home our new teardrop, and it sold in an hour, so resale should not be an issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day and thought the gas mileage would be pretty much the same as without a trailer since the box already takes most of the wind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts