Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Element
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for an out of the way place for a mic that should also be located close enough to pick up sound OK.
I decided to put it on the front of the ceiling console. I had to fish wires over the headliner.
It's an Alpine mic that seems larger than some others. That influenced my options some.
Automotive tire Vehicle Fixture Vehicle door Car
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
95 Posts
You don't have that little overhead basket do you on an EX? I was planning on hiding mine in there somewhere, but worried about an echo

·
Registered
2011 Element
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the overhead basket in my previous '03 Element. This is a late model EX with larger console.
Somewhere around the basket sounds like a good place. Inside the basket might block the sound a bit, but may work fine. Some just make small round holes, in different spots and just poke the end of the mic through.
Your idea might work just fine. I would give it a test in the basket first.
Leave extra slack in the wire. If you aren't satisfied, you can try moving it.
Or just open the basket door when you need to talk:D
I considered doing that by hiding mic inside a ceiling storage compartment, but I would probably forget to open it.
I would just be yelling, "Hello Hello can you hear me?"

·
Premium Member
2010 EX AT Polished Metal Metallic, 2003 EX AT Galapagos Green Metallic
103 Posts
I just brought ours out the rear view mirror hole in the headliner and clipped it to the mirror, works fine.

·
Registered
2011 Element
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think coming out of the mirror opening is most commonly used by professional shops on most cars.
I was trying to get a little closer because the roof is so high on the Element. But the difference is minor.
I used a flexible fishing product (fairly stiff, but flexible) to go over the headliner.
I ran it to both the mirror and the roof console, before deciding where to put it.
Getting to the roof console was much more difficult with metal structures in the way that support the console and stiffen the roof.
The front of the headliner near the mirror is much more hollow.
I think professionals often just tuck the wire in along the edge of the headliner along the windshield (no fishing needed). Then you only need to fish it a couple of inches over to the mirror opening trim.

Having tried alternate ways, it is MUCH easier and practical to go the the mirror opening, as you did.
I was just being a bit stubborn to fish a string pull-cord to the console; plus I had to take the whole roof console down to do it. That adds a lot of effort.
After all that, I only moved the microphone only 2 or 3 inches closer than just coming out at the mirror.

I've also seen several inventive ways posted to put the mic inconspicuously in the Element dash. (drill hole in radio bezel, or put it under the instrument gauges, etc) Small mics are easier to hide.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX AT Polished Metal Metallic, 2003 EX AT Galapagos Green Metallic
103 Posts
I used fishsticks also. My head unit gives me a choice of using it's built in mic on it's face or a remote mic (that also came with the head unit). My head unit has a gain adjustment for the mic also. I found the remote mic to give better/clearer audio "collection" (including backseat passengers) by being attached to protrude under the rear view mirror (regardless of gain settings).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts