Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled on to this website today, as I have just been informed by my insurance company that my 2000 Electric Blue CR-V is a total loss from an accident my husband had in it over the weekend. I am relieved that he is okay (we have each now crash-tested a Honda), 'cause he is one thing I certainly can't replace. But now on to thinking about the thing that I must replace--my most loved vehicle. According to the insurance folks, I have will have five days left on my rental car from the day they contact me with the financial details--YIKES!

My CR-V (lovingly referred to as Electra--the first car I have ever named!) was my very first new car, though I was in my early 30s when I bought her. I have only ever owned Hondas ('80 Civic hatchback, '85 Accord hatchback, '89 CRX, '98 Accord, '00 CR-V), and have loved every one of them. While my friends gripe about car troubles, I take my vehicles in for oil, water and regular maintenence and never wonder or worry about how well the car will serve me. I will only buy a Honda.

My husband is 6'6 and built a built a bit like a linebacker. He found the CR-V to be supremely comfortable and it suited us both so well (I am 5'4"). I am considering a new one partially because we love to drive on dirt roads, and though she couldn't handle the big power uphills and major 4x4 stuff, we got places that surprised many with bigger, spiffier vehicles. I notice there is a difference in ground clearance (CR-V has a bit more).

The E caught our eyes months ago and I am officially enchanted. We have no kids, but might here in the near future, and I can't imagine a more perfect kid vehicle than something that can simply be hosed out! I loved my CR-V, but it's now a different body style and now that this decision presents itself, I am trying to do a quick comparison.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Enough of my life history :wink:

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you get an E do not hose it out. That is a bad rumor that has gotten around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
CoffeeGirl, your reasons (other than the accident) are exactly why/how we got ourselves an E a couple days ago.

I was actually looking for a minivan, but the wife simply refuses to be caught in one (she calls the Windstar SE the Windstar Satan Edition :D) We have kids as well, and the interior is amazing thus far. While you can't exactly "hose it out" (that would not do wonders to the subwoofer), it is certainly cleanable with a damp rag and a good wipedown.

With regards to size, I have the linebacker part but not the 6' 5" part :D It certainly holds me in well with lots of room to spare -- being nitpicky, a little more space between my left side and the door might have been nice, but there is plenty of room as is. However, my friend IS 6' 5", and sat in the back with loads of room over his head. I think it will work for him just fine.

But the best bet is to just give it a test drive - I think based on what you are looking for you will be pleasantly surprised.

Steve
'03 E Green EX

·
Registered
159 Posts
I went to the dealer to test drive a CRV. First Elements had just arrived and even though I thought they looked a little odd, I asked to test drive one. It drove much better than the CRV. I couldn't believe it. Went home, got my wife, took her back and asked her to test drive both. I just wanted a sanity check. She said the CRV was "OK" but she loved the way the Element handled. She, like myself, was very surprised. We now own a beautiful SMM Element. I couldn't love it more. I make up reasons to drive it. I am about 6' 1" and have no problem. I find the driver's seat to be especially roomy. I do wish they had set the passenger seat a couple of inches further back. If you have any doubt that you would like being an Element owner, don't drive it because you WILL fall in love with it. Also, you must enjoy getting attention. Everywhere I go, people ask to see the vehicle. People constantly stare at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I traded my 1999 CR-V in for an Element, and it is the best thing I ever did. I did love my CR-V, but not as much as I already love my Element. It is so much roomier and more functional. I didn't care for the new design of the CR-V, but that is a very personal thing. I don't think you can make a bad choice either way.... :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:7bfe34c1f0="Marylurock"]I don't think you can make a bad choice either way.... :D[/quote:7bfe34c1f0]

I agree, don't sweat it. Take one for a ride, check it out. I was taken by the uniqueness of the vehicle. I have no trouble at all finding it on a crowded parking lot!

·
Registered
540 Posts
First, Coffeegurl: major bummer about the crash! But thank heavens your hubby is okay. Electra did her job in saving his life, and bless her for it.

Second: the best advice I have is - drive an Element. You and your big man both. I think he'll find it roomy enough. It appears that some very sizy people find the Element to be great in terms of head, shoulder, arm and leg room.

Third: just on a personal note. I drove the CR-V and liked it very much. I drove the Element and it was love. It's just an unquantifiable, subjective, illogical, and yet a very real thing when you love how a car looks, functions and drives. I know people who could never *love* a car, no matter what it was. But I suspect you're not one, since you loved Electra. I think a good test drive will give you the information you need as to whether you can love an Element or not. If you don't, another CR-V is a fine choice, no doubt about it.

I've been out of town 8 days on a business trip and ....I've *missed* my car.

Whatever your decision - very best of luck to you and hubby. I have the feeling that Electra's successor (never a replacement) will be happy to be part of your family soon!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We were both in the market for new wheels, married 17 years, 2.3 children and all that. I was absolutley positive I was getting an Element, even before I tested it, but that's just me, it suited me and my lifestyle to a "T". My wife was undecided as I wanted to put her in an Accord, but she said she needed extra seating like her previous minivan. We only have 4 butts in the family, but she felt she wanted extra seats for team mates and friends and so on...
Anyway, we went to the Honda dealership and she drove the Element and loved it, but the 4 passenger thing was a deal breaker, she thought maybe she could live with 5, so she tried the CRV, then the dumbass dealer told her she really wanted the Odyssey and let her drive that...So I got the Element for me and an Odyssey LX for her and am stuck with another frickin minivan.
Summary: She liked the ELement the best, but with 2 kids she really couldn't live with the 4 seater concept. She really didn't care for the CRV, to her, the Odyssey is more "exciting". Now with that said, she takes my E everywhere she goes to bop around town or haul sweaty little kids to and fro soccer and such. I'm still not driving the damn minivan though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife also has an 03 Odyssey, but she's now eyeing my Element more and more each day. Can't go wrong with any Honda product really. I probably would have gotten a CRV (wife prefered it), had it not been god awefully ugly on the inside (to me atleast). Had it came standard in leather, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Luckily for me, it was near my birthday, so my wife decided that I could have it as my "birthday" present. Best B-Day present in years.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Coffeegurl, sorry to hear about your wreck, but things will pass and if you should decide to get an Element, be prepared to give yourself about 20 minutes of extra time wherever you go so you can explain what it is to people not knowing that that "strange Honda thingie" is. And be prepared to fall for it head over heels when you test drive it when you go to the showroom to do so. Be prepared to drive it out the door that day! Be prepared to look EVERYWHERE for stuff you can add to it, stick on it, fasten to it and otherwise........ACCESSORIZE! Yes indeed, this is a fine vehicle. One exception might be the gas mileage. My 2001 CRV got better mileage than this E does and that is something that is a personal affliction with me. Other people tell of getting better mileage in theirs, so all I can say is maybe California's restrictive smog rules and other related BS (that means Big Stories!) are what is happening to mine.
Another final note, when you wanna clean your Element out, get the leaf blower, open both doors and have at it!!

SHAKA! (the unofficial greeting and salutation of the E owner)

Ger :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the input. We bought our new E last Saturday :D Drove the CR-V as well, but the E was the winner. It's SO roomy, and hubby even found a way to adjust the driver's seat down a bit so he can see the speedometer as well. Cruised around in town Saturday night and took it out on the dirt roads Sunday to escape the desert heat (400 miles in 24 hours). GREAT on both roads and the engine is so much more peppy than I expected.

More later--I have the day off and have found an excuse to run errands :wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Congrats to you on your purchase of an E.

I'm so glad it worked out for you and your hubby. I sat in the car before I even thought of getting one, just for giggles - and I said "Wait, this feels right." Then I researched. Then I drove. Then I bought!

I do hope you and hubby and your E will be happy and safe together for many miles.

Post a picture of the family and your E when you can!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hope you like your new Element! Sorry about your CRV, glad your husband is ok. I have a CRV too and I still like it. The Element and CRV are like cousins, both similiar yet different personalities. My wife loves the CRV, I prefer the Element. I still drive both depending on the situation. If riding my dog (Casey) we take the CRV since the back windows rolldown. The Element seems more comfortable on road trips. My 98 CRV also has 130hp vs 160 on the Element (2.0 vs 2.4 liter). :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts