Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Honda Element 2003 was purchased in Ontario, but my family and I are moving the the US. My question is regarding the EPA and DOT sticker that is required for transporting my vehicle to the US. Would a compliance letter from Honda USA suffice when crossing the border? I was told by the Customs Border Patrol call centre that the stickers are necessary and to contact my local Honda dealership in Canada. I called Mississauga Honda who couldn't help so they gave me Honda Canada's number. I called the Honda Canada call centre, and they told me that that don't provide these stickers. Help!

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The E's are built in the USA, and, if I'm, not mistaken, all come with the stickers on the inside door. They actually have to have the DRL's installed in order to be certified in Canada, so I can't see where there would be an issue importing it back into the US

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I've tried contacting Lizzurd but still no answer. Still waiting to hear back from Honda USA for their final decision whether or not the car is compliant in order for them to issue a letter. Not sure if that qualifies in lieu of not having the stickers though.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You might also look up the custom reg's yourself, instead of relying on what a customs agent tells you - maybe even talk to an independent customs broker.
This was years ago, mind you, but when we moved from Canada to the U.S, and brought our Toyota Station Wagon with us, we were given quite the run-a-round at the boarder, until I pointed to a print-out of their own regs that showed someone moving the the U.S could import one vehicle that did NOT meet U.S. specs, as exempt. Before that, they were telling me I had to have it meet and pass U.S. emission standards, and provide all kinds of documentation for that. After I showed them the regs., they just looked at them, and said, "oh, okay", stamped our paperwork, and that-was-that.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
I have been occupied with a family emergency the last couple of weeks so i have been a bit slow with getting back to messages.

The EPA is a US department so there is nothing either Honda Canada or a dealer can help you with there. I did a little googling a found some info.

For Customs clearance you will need the shipper's or carrier's original bill of lading, the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle. You will also need written prior approval from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which will be evident to the Customs inspector at the port of entry in the form of an approval letter from the EPA, or a manufacturer's label in the English language affixed to the car, stating that the vehicle meets all U.S. emission requirements.
Or, you may make arrangements to import your vehicle with an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI). In this case, the ICI will import your vehicle and perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. ICIs can only import certain vehicles, however, and in general, their fees are very high.[/qutote]

From what i can find you have to contact the EPA and possible a DOT registered importer.

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm#safety

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
With the big price difference between E's sold in Canada (more$$), and E's sold in the U.S (less$$), if it is a big issue & cost to import, you might be further ahead to sell your E in Canada, and use the money to just buy a replacement in the U.S. :)

Here are the (current) regs that we used way-back, when we imported our Toyota. Looks like they are still in force, to a point:

"Free Entry
NONRESIDENTS may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Nonconforming vehicles must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirement. Conforming vehicles imported under the duty-free exemption are dutiable if sold within one year of importation. Duty must be paid at the most convenient Customs office before the sale is completed."

I would assume that the Canadian E would be a "conforming" vehicle, since ALL E's are built on the same assembly line in Ohio, but something to get confirmed by either Honda Canada, or Honda USA, or find that label on the E that says that the vehicle meets all U.S. (Federal) emission requirements - should be inside the driver's door frame, right below the U-shaped latch bar on the Manufacturers tag.

More info: http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
How about if I move to Canada and we just trade E's?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I once owned a Canadian Jeep, a YJ, that a US Dealer brought down to the US. All I had to have done was bring it in to the local State Patrol (WA State) in order to have it inspected.

Emissions are the same in both countries, at least w/Washington State and Canada. The only differences, was the speedometers, w/the Primary Numbers being metric, and the US Standard, in small numbers, and the daytime driving lights. Oh, instead of being a Wrangler, it is called a YJ.

I don't know about such states as California and Massachusetts, which have the most stringent of emissions here in the US.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If it's California emission, ( which it is... unless modified from the OEM) your good to go. You need to contact the State DMV where you plan to reside and ask them exactly what doc's you need. And, I think a majority of states have all the info online....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very much to everyone for such valuable information. I've already received a letter from Honda Canada confirming no recall, and I should be hearing back from Honda USA today or tomorrow about the letter of compliance.

Regarding the sticker on the driver side door, no luck. Just one that explains tire pressure. However there is a sticker under the hood that says it meets US EPA standards (in fine print), but doesn't have the EPA logo. We'll see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey kdoll, just a 12 years-later follow up on your post. Did you end up successfully moving the E over the border? I'm in a similar position and don't want to get rid of my car for the move, especially with the used prices being what they are at the moment.

Would love any advice, thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts