Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings my soon to be fellow Yanks! In the next few weeks-months, I'll be making a huge career jump and will be moving from Shreveport, Louisiana (300,000 pop) to the little town of NYC. I'm currently in airport management (operations) at Shreveport Regional Airport, and apparently, the Port Authority is giving me the nod on a job at JFK Intl. I'm very excited at this opprotunity, but also a bit overwhelmed! I'm looking online at Craigslist and Roommates.com to find a place to live, so I think I'll be ok in that aspect. Any particular areas to avoid?
I'm very glad I've got a 08 Element SC, what doesn't fit in it, doesn't need to go with me!! With that said, anything I should do for my E to prepare it for the cold winter up there? Seeing as how I bought it in the south, I don't believe it has an engine block heater, etc.
Any general tips, advice, etc about anything from the E to moving to NYC would be greatly appreciated.
Its going to be fairly interesting since I do not know a soul up there. I'm sure there are some awesome, good hearted folks around to befriend and goto the bar with :)

Thank you!!!

Austin

·
Registered
848 Posts
No real advice, just wishing you best of luck on your big change.:)
Sounds exciting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scan. Yep, my family is a worried, but I'm just mainly excited.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't take any wooden nickels. Don't get hooked an crack and, Don't wear a Raiders jersey to Giants stadium. Finally, never, I mean NEVER hang out with the Warriors !

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Good place for info on lots of questions...

http://www.wirednewyork.com/

You may find out that it's cheaper/easier to not have a car at all there. A parking spot in NY can cost as much as a house in Shreveport. Friend was paying $500 a month for parking near his bldg in a public garage. Looked at buying a parking garage spot at his bldg when one came available - was $60K for a spot. :-o.

He sold his car

Minimum for parking will be $200 - $300 a month - can buy a lot of cab and subway rides for that.

LIRR/Airtrain combo to JFK is fast, easy, cheap with a metro card. Less than gas $$$ for the 2 hours in traffic each way if you drove, and a third the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mkh,
thank you for the tip. I'm not actually going to live in Manhattan, rather in Queens/Jamaica area near the airport. From what I can tell, the areas I'm looking at calling home do not charge for parking. Besides, I can't sell my E, I'm 11K upside down in it (ouch). I will however, rely greatly on the subway/airtrain network.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Wow, that is an "ouch". Yah, out in Queens, parking will be a lot easier. Just watch the neighborhoods. Some, cars parked on the street are no problem. Others, overnight and no wheels, doors, seats the next morning.

Straight shot in to JFK on the LIRR/Airtrain from the Queens/Jamaica area. Really easy commute. A lot of employers subsidies employee Metro cards, too.

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
There are so many options depending on where you wind up living. If you choose an apartment then street parking can be a hassle (alternate day parking and all that). If you find an apartment in a private house then you maybe able to include parking. Rents are pretty high NY. Also living here is gonna be a challenge for you, not in any bad way, just in getting used to. There's a lot of people here and everyone's always in a hurry. Once you make the move, post something and I'm sure you will get a lot of people to help you
out. If you need any further advice then let me know and I will try to help ya. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rube,

I'll definately do that. Thank you for the advice. It will be a challange, but I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I'm dreading is the cold weather. It was in the mid 60's this morning when I woke up. It was in the mid 30's in NYC. I do better with the cold than the hot though, so I think I'll aclimate to it nicely. I'll have to get me a nice plump chick to keep me warm at night ;)

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
Rube,

I'll definately do that. Thank you for the advice. It will be a challange, but I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I'm dreading is the cold weather. It was in the mid 60's this morning when I woke up. It was in the mid 30's in NYC. I do better with the cold than the hot though, so I think I'll aclimate to it nicely. I'll have to get me a nice plump chick to keep me warm at night ;)
Just be careful as to where you get your plump chick. Personally, I HATE the cold weather, but Mrs. Rube and Little Rube love it so I'm out voted. I'm approx 50 miles north of the city so it even gets colder up here. Then waiting by the Hudson River for my commuter train doesn't help. Drop me a line when you get settled. Maybe we can meet by my job for lunch (30 Rock). Good luck with the move, the job and the chicks!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
No prep for the Element needed

The Element will be fine, no block heater, etc needed. I am about 20 miles outside the city in NJ and love going into the city. You can't beat the area for the amount of activities it has to offer. Yes, people are a little bit high strung but you get use to them.

I don't know anything about the Queens area. NYC would be expensive to live in so I agree you are better off outside of the city.

Best of luck!!!!!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
NYC is brutal to cars. Consider storing your E (out east maybe) and using public trans.
We moved from California to NYC in 2001. I was rather apprehensive, but ended up quickly enjoying life in the Big Apple. I expected old ladies from third world countries cursing me in foreign tongues. Instead it was 20-30 somethings, not cursing me, and an amazing energy/vitality. For the most part, New Yorkers are very friendly. There is always something to do.

I kept an old truck in Manhattan and paid through the nose to park it in the apartment's garage. Later we lived on Roosevelt Island (in the East River between Queens and Midtown Manhattan) where there is a big multi-story parking garage (like you find at malls/airports). Many people who lived elsewhere in the city parked cars there. Parking was safe and much more reasonable with access via a magnetic card (no lot attendant abusing your E). I could generally find a prime corner spot to park the Element which we used mostly on weekends to get out of the city. There is a local shuttle bus (was still only 25 cents in 2005) that ran from the parking garage to the F-train to get into the other boroughs. Might be an option if you can't find something close to where you live and don't need a car for daily transportation. Also not a bad place to park if you're visiting Manhattan. It's near the Triboro Bridge which gets you out of the north end of the city quickly.

Ditto to RD's suggestion to use public transit. Roads are brutal, traffic is...also brutal. Learn to use the subway. It's convenient, quick, safe and actually entertaining. Just carry your wallet in your front pocket. You'll also do a lot of walking. Driving in the city is an experience. NY drivers may seem aggressive to an out of towner, but they're just decisive. Don't confuse decisive with aggressive. If there is space for a vehicle between you and the car you're following down FDR Drive (at 50 mph), someone will pull in there. Don't take offense. You weren't using that space, so you obviously didn't need it!

Enjoy life in the big city!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Trade your E for a Nice Tank, You'll be fine :D

Just kidding, Welcome to the Northeast! Try to make some meets.

Change your EOC Sticker or you will get Harassed by Justin.:shock:

Dom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HAHA. Thanks for the warm wishes everyone. I agree that the people in NYC are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. They say the south is friendly...I disagree sometimes, but NYC really shocked me on just how nice it was! I'll have to get the EOC sticker for sure! Just as soon as I make the move up there, I'll drop everyone a line and we can meet up.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Only one thing you need to know: The Delta Grill, 700 block of 9th Ave

A little taste of NOLA in the Big Apple...

(http://thedeltagrill.com)

Best of luck with the move!

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Hey Mike, I didn't realize you had lived in NYC. Roosevelt Island is an oasis right in the middle of things.

I never minded taking the subway. Now the LIRR is another story ...

IIRC there's a great little crab shack down around 23rd Street. Don't remember the name but the locals will, if it's still there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are going to move to Jamaica, make sure that you do your research. High crime and definitely the ghetto. All of South Queens is crime-ridden, except for some parts of the Rockaways and Howard Beach. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Howard Beach is an interesting place. As the home of the Gotti family, there is no litter, no grafitti, the streets are clean, lawns are well groomed, there is an abundance of statuary and fancy masonry on even the most modest of homes. Petty crime is effectively handled by local citizens with baseball bats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EEEsssh...I figured it was ok place to live. Thanks for the heads-up...I actually was looking for Far Rockaway and Howard Beach.

Thanks a million!!!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts