Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's just me, my E, a Uhaul 4x8, and my stuff. I weigh about 190. I know the max weight to be towed is 1500 lbs and that the max I should carry in the E is 485 lbs (the 675-190).

What I can't seem to figure out is how the two interact. Does the 150 lbs tongue weight count toward the 675? OR what is a good weight to have over the back tires of the E to improve safety? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No the tongue wieght is a percentage of the total wieght of the trailer that is placed on the tongue. Like a see-saw, except one side is connected to the hitch of the element.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yup...subtract the tounge weight from the "cargo capicity" (675 total) of the E.

You can play around with these numbers a bit, as I'm sure you've figured out, Honda is a "paranoid" about weight capacities. For example, I wouldn't be concerned at all about adding 150lbs of tounge weight to an E already carrying 600lbs already.

Spread the load out. Load the trailer so you end up with about 10% of the total weight (or 150lbs max) on the tounge/trailer coupler. Don't try and avoid tounge weight...you need some so it tows "right."

Good luck! Have a good trip.

Will

1 - 3 of 3 Posts